Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Exclamation Advice needed: stipend and contract

A situation has arisen regarding an exhibit one of my sculptures was in this summer. Before contacting the involved parties again, I hope to get some advice on the most effective way to proceed. Sorry this is so long. My specific questions are at the end of this text.
Background of the situation:
My steel sculpture Strobus was juried into the Navy Pier Walk exhibit in Chicago and was exhibited from May 7 to October 19, 2003. Prior to installation I signed a contract that stated that Pierwalk would get 20 percent of proceeds from sale of the piece during the exhibit and that same percentage if the piece was sold through a loan they arranged to another venue after the Pierwalk exhibit ended. There was no stipend involved in the Pierwalk show and none mentioned in the contract. The sculpture weighs 700 pounds, small by Pierwalk standards, but still requiring some effort to get it to Chicago from where I live (45 miles north of Boston). Prior to the exhibit the artists were told that Pierwalk would make efforts to sell the works and to place them in loan programs after the exhibit closed. I was told that last year they sold a million dollars worth of sculpture, that there would be a full color catalogue and that there would be a major Art Expo at the pier during the time that our works were up, giving us good professional exposure. In the end, he told me that they sold two sculptures out of the 36 exhibited this year, I received the catalogues five days after the sculptures were taken down at the end of October, and the identifying signage was not on the sculptures when the Art Expo happened.
Approximately one month before the deinstallation date I contacted Pierwalk to ask whether there was any progress towards selling the piece or placing it in a loan program at another exhibit venue. I was told that neither had taken place. Based on what I had seen of Pierwalk's performance on my behalf I assumed that I would have to take initiative myself to find a placement, or face bringing the sculpture back to my studio.
I sent submission packets out to three sculpture venues that were looking for outdoor sculpture in hopes of arranging a loan, but they didn't work out or didn't have any money for transportation. I talked to other sculptors I know and learned that there were three venues in Illinois that paid stipends. Two of those were not accepting new work at that time, but the third, The Wandell Sculpture Garden in Urbana, IL, was interested based on the information and photos I sent them. I spoke with the Director, who told me that he would be going to Pierwalk to look at the actual piece before making a decision. He subsequently called me (this was within a few days of when I would have to leave for Chicago for the deinstallation) and confirmed that he wanted the sculpture, that he would send a contract to me, arrange for the piece to be moved (he gave me the name of the person who would be transporting the piece, someone I know. He also said that this person would be paid $280 for the day), and that Wandell would offer a $2,000 stipend to me for a two year loan. I agreed to this arrangement.
Three or four days later - one day before the artist deinstallation day - I heard from Chicago 3D, Pierwalk's umbrella 501c(3) group, that they had found a loan for the piece at Wandell and would take care of everything. I told them that I had arranged for the loan and he said that artists weren't supposed to make their own arrangements and that Pierwalk had been building a relationship with Wandell over time. We had a long, fairly rational conversation, where I tried to explain that I knew nothing of the relationship between Pierwalk and Wandell, even after talking with the Director at Wandell, and that Pierwalk had given me no evidence that they were advocating for my sculpture. Since there is no mention of a stipend in the contract I signed, I first suggested that the stipend should be mine since I had made the contact with Wandell.Chicago 3D claimed that the money was needed to move the piece, however I already knew that was not true and told him what I knew. I said that if Pierwalk was owed anything, the most they could expect would be 20% of the stipend (based on the profit from sales suggested in the contract), which would more than cover transporting and reinstalling the sculpture. Chicago 3D said that they couldn't offer me something that was not consistent with what they were offering other artists. He later suggested that perhaps they could give me $500 for advertising the piece as long as I included the PierWalk name in whatever form of advertising I could come up with. I stated that I would need the money up front - that I would not do it on a reimbursement basis - and I have not heard any more about that.
The bottom line:
As far as I know, Strobus was successfully moved to Urbana, IL on Saturday, November 1, 2003. Pierwalk is retaining the $2,000 stipend. No contract has been sent to me from Pierwalk specifying any of the usual terms, whether Wandell expects a percentage of sales in addition to what Pierwalk expects and if so what it is, or how long Pierwalk expects Strobus to be bound under their contract.
My questions to you:
1. Is there any way that I could recoup some or all of the stipend? It would be very helpful in recovering my expenses in getting the sculpture to Chicago. (I'm not optimistic that this will happen).
2. Is there anything else I can do to secure a contract other than repeatedly asking for it? For instance, would it be useful for me to adapt one from the Graphic Artists' Guild or other similar source and ask them to sign it? I have my doubts that they would, though.
3. Would a registered letter to PierWalk and Wandell be the best route to take now?
I am very disappointed that a show as highly thought of as Pierwalk would be so poorly run this year. In spite of their prestigious New York juror for the 2004 exhibit, I decided not to submit a proposal. It seems to me, based on my experience this year, that Pierwalk is more costly than it is worth.[/font]
Old 01-06-2004, 02:41 PM
scupture.net

Re: Advice needed: stipend and contract

You have an interesting story, and I have heard other mixed reactions from sculptors who have exhibited at Pierwalk.

A letter from an attorney to the group would at least force the issue to be addressed, but may sour the relations even more. Whether you could get any of the stipend back would depend on the exact wording of the original contract. Remember that the final sale of the sculpture would bring you the most income - so whatever you can do to help in that regard would be in your best interest. At the very least you should request a letter stating what they would retain in the event of a sale and what the net to you would be.

Do you have a photo of the piece you could post so we could see what the sculpture looks like?
Old 01-06-2004, 03:30 PM

Reading this pisses me off to no end. I would expect more from a "respectable" arts organization. I have never exhibited there, but I had a very bad experience with them just during the submission process. It's too bad the sculpture has already been moved. Now it's just up to the lawyers. The contract was vague, you should have no problem proving the loan was secured through your own effort, and I seriously doubt the contract expressly forbid the artist from advocating on behalf of their own work. Bottom line, they screwed you over, you have every right to screw them back. Sorry for my bluntness.

Sam
Old 01-06-2004, 03:32 PM

Are you able to post the original Pier Walk exhibiting contract for us to view? It is a public document.

Do they retain interest in the sale of the work beyond the show (ie 20% for x months after), if you had just taken it home, then sold it?

Frankly I cannot see why they would claim your artists fee for a 2 year loan. If it is beyond the agreed terms.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:37 PM

Very nice work by the way. Do you have a website by chance?

One final thought came to me. The art world is still a place where good will and a handshake can get the job done. Contracts are smart and *necessary to have, but it's a small world after all and if you don't play fair, the word gets out. You can quibble all you want about expressly worded language, but they did not uphold to the highest spirit of the relationship. I say let the word go forth, and spread to the edges of the sculpture world...

If you think I'm wrong, convince me.

Sam
Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 PM

Also, welcome Joyce

Last edited by Araich : 05-04-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:21 PM

I related this to my wife and she had a good question, Where is the $2000? In the pocket of 3D Chicago? If they truly did have a million dollars in sales the year before and almost none this past year, sounds like their cutting corners to scrounge up every dollar they can.

Sam
Old 01-06-2004, 06:10 PM
scupture.net

Interesting piece and we can appreciate the amount of work that it takes to create such a sculpture. I've posted a thumbnail image for quick reference.

The last time I was at Pier Walk was about three years ago and I really enjoyed the show, so I will avoid flaming them, but this type of problem is happening more and more frequently.

Sam is right that this hits a nerve with many of us that have been treated unfairly by those that are "supposed" to be helping the Sculptor through exhibition opportunities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zarins.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	316  
Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

as/re your:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ
A situation has arisen ..... I spoke with the Director, who told me that he would be going to Pierwalk to look at the actual piece before making a decision. He subsequently called me (this was within a few days of when I would have to leave for Chicago for the deinstallation) and confirmed that he wanted the sculpture, that he would send a contract to me, arrange for the piece to be moved (he gave me the name of the person who would be transporting the piece, someone I know. He also said that this person would be paid $280 for the day), and that Wandell would offer a $2,000 stipend to me for a two year loan. I agreed to this arrangement................
FONT]
It would appear that You should focus your efforts on the director of the wandell.

At the least,(assuming he has made arrangements to give the stipent, which he had offered to you, to 3d) argue that he should hold back enough to pay for shipping your piece to it's future happy owner,(you might mention that 3d had claimed that ammount to be $2,000) or home at the end of its 2 years-----also-----absent a clear contract(with provision to the contrary) with wendell, you may still sell the piece on your own...at any time...You'll know more when you read Wandell's contract......

In his taoist "art of war", sun tsu cautioned, "only fight the battles you can win"

best of luck
rod(sculptor)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBert
You have an interesting story, and I have heard other mixed reactions from sculptors who have exhibited at Pierwalk.

A letter from an attorney to the group would at least force the issue to be addressed, but may sour the relations even more. Whether you could get any of the stipend back would depend on the exact wording of the original contract. Remember that the final sale of the sculpture would bring you the most income - so whatever you can do to help in that regard would be in your best interest. At the very least you should request a letter stating what they would retain in the event of a sale and what the net to you would be.

Do you have a photo of the piece you could post so we could see what the sculpture looks like?
The ISC told me about this sculpture community only this morning and I've never used a bulletin board before, so I'm not completely sure how this works. I have a better photo than the one from the Pierwalk website, which I saw further along on this thread, but I don't know how to post it yet. I will if I can. Of course I don't want to "sour the relationship", which is why I looked for input before my next step. The original contract says nothing about a stipend at all. I'll make sure that the next contract I sign does. Meanwhile, I'm interested in the range of responses.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam
Reading this pisses me off to no end. I would expect more from a "respectable" arts organization. I have never exhibited there, but I had a very bad experience with them just during the submission process. It's too bad the sculpture has already been moved. Now it's just up to the lawyers. The contract was vague, you should have no problem proving the loan was secured through your own effort, and I seriously doubt the contract expressly forbid the artist from advocating on behalf of their own work. Bottom line, they screwed you over, you have every right to screw them back. Sorry for my bluntness.

Sam
Actually, I'd rather try to steer things in my favor without rancor. I'd like to be in this business for the long term and it wouldn't be too helpful to anger those in power. I agree with the other things you said, and actually, the Pierwalk people told me that some other artists are taking them to court. I assume that is about sales-related issues, because the stipend thing is too small to sue over.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araich
Are you able to post the original Pier Walk exhibiting contract for us to view? It is a public document.

Do they retain interest in the sale of the work beyond the show (ie 20% for x months after), if you had just taken it home, then sold it?

Frankly I cannot see why they would claim your artists fee for a 2 year loan. If it is beyond the agreed terms.
Navy Pier Walk 2003 Loan Agreement

“The artist hereby agrees to loan the above sculpture to 3-D Chicago for exhibit and sale during Navy Pier Walk 2003 at Navy Pier 600 E. Grand Ave.,m Chicago, IL with the following conditions.

Insurance – (states that as long at the sculpture is structurally okay it will be covered, except for the deductible, no amount specified.)
Transportation – All packing and shipping costs are the responsibility of the artists and or the shipper, unless special arrangements hav ebeen made with Chicago 3-D.

Installation/Deinstallation
3-D Chicago will provide equipment for assistance during installation (April 30-May 7,2003) and deinstallation (October 20-25, 2003) of the exhibition. Any work left after October 25, 2003 must be removed at the expense of the artist. All work must be removed from Navy Pier unless special arrangements have been made through 3-D Chicago.

All sculptures must be installed and deinstalled by the artist or their appointed representative. If the artist or their representative is not present at installation or deinstallation a fee of $500 will be assessed for each occurrence, unless special arrangements have been made with 3-D Chicago.

The sculptures will remain in the exhibition for the duration of the exhibition. Removing the sculpture for any reason, before the end of the exhibition, will result in the artist paying a fee of 20 percent of the above declared value.

Sales
3-D Chicago shall receive a 20 percnet commission of the above sculpture from any sale that is a result of exhibiting at Navy Pier Walk 2003, including slaes that result from sculpture loans that are arranged by 3-D Chicago or its affiliates. Any sale that is being conducted by the artist or their agent must be reported to 3-D Chicago immediately. All sales must go through 3-D Chicago. Any change in or the lowering of the retail price must be agreed to in advance by the artist and 3-D Chicago. Otherwise the commission due to 3-D Chicago will be based on the declared retail price. Any other third party commissions will be paid by the artist. Upon sale, 3-D Chicago shall receive commission within thiry (30) days, payable to 3-D Chicago. If payment is not received within 30 days, 1.5 percent of the commission due will be charged monthly and all collection costs, including reasonable attorney’s fees, will be the responsibility of the artist.”

Then there’s more about reproductions, labelling, etc.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 PM

I've never participated in this message board, on-line kind of thing, so I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly. We'll see what happens.

Navy Pier Walk 2003 Loan Agreement

“The artist hereby agrees to loan the above sculpture to 3-D Chicago for exhibit and sale during Navy Pier Walk 2003 at Navy Pier 600 E. Grand Ave.,m Chicago, IL with the following conditions.

Insurance – (states that as long at the sculpture is structurally okay it will be covered, except for the deductible, no amount specified.)
Transportation – All packing and shipping costs are the responsibility of the artists and or the shipper, unless special arrangements hav ebeen made with Chicago 3-D.

Installation/Deinstallation
3-D Chicago will provide equipment for assistance during installation (April 30-May 7,2003) and deinstallation (October 20-25, 2003) of the exhibition. Any work left after October 25, 2003 must be removed at the expense of the artist. All work must be removed from Navy Pier unless special arrangements have been made through 3-D Chicago.

All sculptures must be installed and deinstalled by the artist or their appointed representative. If the artist or their representative is not present at installation or deinstallation a fee of $500 will be assessed for each occurrence, unless special arrangements have been made with 3-D Chicago.

The sculptures will remain in the exhibition for the duration of the exhibition. Removing the sculpture for any reason, before the end of the exhibition, will result in the artist paying a fee of 20 percent of the above declared value.

Sales
3-D Chicago shall receive a 20 percnet commission of the above sculpture from any sale that is a result of exhibiting at Navy Pier Walk 2003, including slaes that result from sculpture loans that are arranged by 3-D Chicago or its affiliates. Any sale that is being conducted by the artist or their agent must be reported to 3-D Chicago immediately. All sales must go through 3-D Chicago. Any change in or the lowering of the retail price must be agreed to in advance by the artist and 3-D Chicago. Otherwise the commission due to 3-D Chicago will be based on the declared retail price. Any other third party commissions will be paid by the artist. Upon sale, 3-D Chicago shall receive commission within thiry (30) days, payable to 3-D Chicago. If payment is not received within 30 days, 1.5 percent of the commission due will be charged monthly and all collection costs, including reasonable attorney’s fees, will be the responsibility of the artist.”

Then there’s more about reproductions, labelling, etc.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I related this to my wife and she had a good question, Where is the $2000? In the pocket of 3D Chicago? If they truly did have a million dollars in sales the year before and almost none this past year, sounds like their cutting corners to scrounge up every dollar they can.

Sam
Good question. I can only assume, that, yes, Chicago 3-D has is. Part went to the guy who moved the piece from PierWalk to Wandell. I know him. He told me he gets $280 for a day. that leaves $1,720. There were about 36 sculptures in the show. I think most were placed in loan venues. Hmm. 30 x $2,000 = $60,000.
I do think they are scrounging because they did not do their sales job this year. For example, the catalogues would probably be their main sales tool, right? They arrived five days after the show came down. But keeping the stipends isn't a new thing this year.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Interesting piece and we can appreciate the amount of work that it takes to create such a sculpture. I've posted a thumbnail image for quick reference.

The last time I was at Pier Walk was about three years ago and I really enjoyed the show, so I will avoid flaming them, but this type of problem is happening more and more frequently.

Sam is right that this hits a nerve with many of us that have been treated unfairly by those that are "supposed" to be helping the Sculptor through exhibition opportunities.
Thanks for posting the thumbnail. I have a better image, but I'm not sure how to post it yet. It took quite a bit of effort to build. There are seventy-five scales on it. My bender, which does fine with slightly narrower peices of the same weight wouldn't bend them - they were too long - so I had to build an attachment to the bender to get the job done. And, surprisingly, it took some time to figure out the pattern the scales follow.
You are right, PierWalk is a good show. Most of the works were good. The installation guys are terrific (and fun, too), the site is good and they do a nice job on designing the catalog and site map. Unfortunately, no one gets to use them. The site maps were available some time in September. It's a big place. I think the pier is almost a mile long and there are pieces on the lawn and roadways approaching the pier, too.
The show was good. The organizational skills and business practices of those running it are problemmatical, though.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptor
as/re your:

It would appear that You should focus your efforts on the director of the wandell.

At the least,(assuming he has made arrangements to give the stipent, which he had offered to you, to 3d) argue that he should hold back enough to pay for shipping your piece to it's future happy owner,(you might mention that 3d had claimed that ammount to be $2,000) or home at the end of its 2 years-----also-----absent a clear contract(with provision to the contrary) with wendell, you may still sell the piece on your own...at any time...You'll know more when you read Wandell's contract......

In his taoist "art of war", sun tsu cautioned, "only fight the battles you can win"

best of luck
rod(sculptor)
I like the "art of war" quote. It's a good one.
Actually, I have been talking to both Wandell and Chicago 3-D. It's a loop with me in the middle.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:18 PM

I see nothing in there that allows them to claim your artist fee for your work loaned. I would ask Wandell about what has happened.

I completely agree that you should not generate ill feelings if you can do it. The horrible reality is that many of these organisations struggle to stay afloat. However this does not excuse behaviour beyond that agreed to.

Last edited by Araich : 01-07-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Level 1 user

It appears that you have left out key information.
1. Contract shows fee of $500 if artist does not deinstall
2. Deinstall person told you it would cost $270
3. Tansport, insurance and install would be in excess of $1500 (ask anyone)
4. Wandell is a sponsor

It is too bad that you tried to do an end run on them. If there is no
contract, why dont you move your work? Probably because there is no
where else to put it and complaining is your only recourse. Hopefully,
you dont ruin this exhibition opportunity for the hundreds of sculptors that
rely on this high visibility, high exposure and serioulsy curated exhibit.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimal
It appears that you have left out key information.
1. Contract shows fee of $500 if artist does not deinstall
2. Deinstall person told you it would cost $270
3. Tansport, insurance and install would be in excess of $1500 (ask anyone)
4. Wandell is a sponsor

It is too bad that you tried to do an end run on them. If there is no
contract, why dont you move your work? Probably because there is no
where else to put it and complaining is your only recourse. Hopefully,
you dont ruin this exhibition opportunity for the hundreds of sculptors that
rely on this high visibility, high exposure and serioulsy curated exhibit.
You are right, I could move the sculpture, but that wouldn't make much sense, would it. As far as ruining things for other sculptors, nothing I could do about this would negatively impact anyone but me. In fact, it seems to me that any artist who doesn't stand up for a few basic minimum things like written agreements and honorable behavior is doing more harm to the arts community than I ever would. In fact, it was the International Sculpture Center that recommended that I post my question in the first place. Sorry if I've upset you.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:09 AM

minimal - does this mean that the associated costs of de-install, transport and re-install as a loan is exchanged for a self managed artist fee? (stipend)
Old 01-07-2004, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimal

It is too bad that you tried to do an end run on them.
An end run? JAZ contacted them ahead of time (and probably more than once, yes?) and was informed they were unable to place it somewhere. The de-install date was coming up and it would very soon become the sculptor's responsibility to do something with it. They had plenty of time to place the work, by notifying the day before they obviously came upon the placement through the efforts of the artist.

I have had multiple pieces placed at various venues around the country. In order to have somewhere else to take them when the exhibition period is over, I apply the works to different shows while they are currently being exhibited. When the contract is up, I pick them up and move them to their next show. Never have I had a problem with someone being offended that I would do my job by finding new homes for them.

Communication is important. I keep in touch with the directors who are showing my work, getting their thoughts and informing them of mine. They always have priority if they would like to extend the exhibit or, hopefully, sell the work. And I have even offered a commission to those who weren't asking for one if the work were to sell to thank them and support a show that had supported me. Bottom line, JAZ was doing her job.

And yes JAZ, obviously try the non-confrontational route first. I'm just a little worked up here, please don't mind the passion. That quote is a good one and I agree with Rod, obviously the director of the Wendell had conversations with 3D Chicago as well.

Sam
Old 01-07-2004, 12:28 AM
scupture.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ
Sales
3-D Chicago shall receive a 20 percnet commission of the above sculpture from any sale that is a result of exhibiting at Navy Pier Walk 2003, including slaes that result from sculpture loans that are arranged by 3-D Chicago or its affiliates.
It appears that the contract actually ended in that it does not cover specific conditions of a loan (time frame, insurance, etc.). I do not see where you were obligated to loan the sculpture, but now that that has occurred I doubt they could show rightful possession without some paperwork. You need to get a copy of the loan agreement if you do not have that already. They must show they had a legal right to enter into the new agreement on your behalf.

I can see why this type of contract is actually causing them legal issues that I think they would of been better advised to avoid.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:31 AM
ISC Member

Two legal items look clear to me in the agreement.

"I signed a contract that stated that Pierwalk would get 20 percent of proceeds from sale of the piece during the exhibit and that same percentage if the piece was sold through a loan they arranged to another venue after the Pierwalk exhibit ended."

"3-D Chicago shall receive a 20 percnet commission of the above sculpture from any sale that is a result of exhibiting at Navy Pier Walk 2003,"

They had no right to your stipend because this was by your efforts. Since the loan was a result of your work being at Pier Walk they are entitled to a sales commission if the work is sold. The term of this right is debatable.

Roy
Old 01-07-2004, 09:27 AM

Quote:
An end run? JAZ contacted them ahead of time (and probably more than once, yes?) and was informed they were unable to place it somewhere. The de-install date was coming up and it would very soon become the sculptor's responsibility to do something with it. They had plenty of time to place the work, by notifying the day before they obviously came upon the placement through the efforts of the artist.

I have had multiple pieces placed at various venues around the country. In order to have somewhere else to take them when the exhibition period is over, I apply the works to different shows while they are currently being exhibited. When the contract is up, I pick them up and move them to their next show. Never have I had a problem with someone being offended that I would do my job by finding new homes for them.

Communication is important. I keep in touch with the directors who are showing my work, getting their thoughts and informing them of mine. They always have priority if they would like to extend the exhibit or, hopefully, sell the work. And I have even offered a commission to those who weren't asking for one if the work were to sell to thank them and support a show that had supported me. Bottom line, JAZ was doing her job.

And yes JAZ, obviously try the non-confrontational route first. I'm just a little worked up here, please don't mind the passion. That quote is a good one and I agree with Rod, obviously the director of the Wendell had conversations with 3D Chicago as well.

Sam
Thanks Sam. I like the approach you mention in your second paragraph and have pondered doing something like that. I am relatively new to this game, so I'm searching for ways to make this expensive business work. I like your attitudes and appreciate your sharing your depth of experience. I agree about communication and have copied e-mails to all parties when I have discussed this issue with them. It didn't make any difference in the end result so far, but at least everyone at both places knows what's going on. I think the guy at Wandell was surprised that there was no trickle down of money to the artists.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It appears that the contract actually ended in that it does not cover specific conditions of a loan (time frame, insurance, etc.). I do not see where you were obligated to loan the sculpture, but now that that has occurred I doubt they could show rightful possession without some paperwork. You need to get a copy of the loan agreement if you do not have that already. They must show they had a legal right to enter into the new agreement on your behalf.

I can see why this type of contract is actually causing them legal issues that I think they would of been better advised to avoid.
RuBert, I agree. It is that loan agreement that I am now trying to get. I have also e-mailed the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. They didn't respond, so today I will call them. I expect that all they will be able to do for me is to advise what to put in my next letter to Wandell and Chcago 3D that will convince them to send the loan agreement. I believe I have a legal right to most of the stipend, but it would cost too much to pursue getting it, which I'm sure Chicago 3 D is aware of. Besides, I don't want to burn bridges in the sculpture community. I do think, though, that small victories in favor of artists can help better everyone's situation.