Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Level 8 user

No, it wasn't a welcome

I have seen that constructive encouragement here is a very elusive thing to hope for. Even after I learned how to post pictures of my carvings, many members here made me feel threatened to pee on the tree of elegant sucksess.
You won't miss me when I'm gone.
Treat future newcomers with the same respect.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM

Re: No, it wasn't a welcome

Hello Robson Valley,
I am sorry that you did not get the response you were hoping for and wish you all the best in your future working in sculpture. Careers like art, writing, acting, and music, among others require a bit of thick skin if we are to go through what it takes to find our true niche and succeed.
Consider what you do, be aware of what kinds of work others do, always strive to improve and do your utmost best, and never give up. You will find your true self and achieve your goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
I have seen that constructive encouragement here is a very elusive thing to hope for. Even after I learned how to post pictures of my carvings, many members here made me feel threatened to pee on the tree of elegant sucksess.
You won't miss me when I'm gone.
Treat future newcomers with the same respect.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Level 10 user

When did you ever post pictures of your work? I looked at the history of your posts over the last couple of years, and I didn't see them. Maybe you could point them out?

I generally don't comment on people's work, since it's only too common for anything short of the most fulsome praise to be misconstrued as an insult. But I didn't see your pictures, nor did I notice anyone commenting on them, adversely or not. If you post under an alias, it's not possible for people here to look you up on the web and see what you've been doing, either. But feel free to pee on whatever tree you come across...

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Level 4 user

I guess I don't look to others in my same field to offer much constructive encouragement. I do a lot of that for beginners in my welding classes since they are rank beginners. My best encouragement is when somebody buys my stuff and commissions more.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Level 10 user

Sorry to hear that, but as with all things. Whether beer, cars, trucks, women , men, NASCAR car drivers, or brands of whiskey. Taste can be all in ones mouth so to speak.

And as they say opinions, like with solid waste elimination holes on the body most people have one!

I enjoy sculpture, but I will be the first to admit that I have a limited range of styles, materials and methods that move me or generate some emotions. And after all that is what is what it is about.
I too don't remember any photo's, you might have linked to them. I don't link to off forum pic's If they don't open in the thread post, I won't see them.

If I am not interested in the piece I will not comment on it. As others have said no matter what and how you say something. It will be more likely misread, misconstrued, and have their feeling and pride hurt.

This forum along with most others on the net in the last year or so have had traffic slow to a crawl or stop. This forum was never really known as one that had a large community of active looking art lovers/buyers. Mostly a tech site for artists to kick around ideas, and knowledge.

Which it has with abandon, having been a moderator on a metal artist forum along with a welding forum. I learned very fast, better left unsaid then point out something that may move the piece from the mundane to a higher level. Most times it is more of a tech level but people still don't like being told the negatives.

And any piece that requires a manifesto,or page after page of BS of why the artist did it or their vision. Is suspect, since a piece of art should make a statement, when first seen that can be felt! Contemplating deeper meaning can come later.

Since you appear to be leaving the forum, hope you find what you are looking for
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Level 10 user

Tried to find your work but you dont appear to have posted any.
Also didnt find anything negative written about your work.
Perhaps it was all a dream
Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Level 5 user

It's extremely difficult to give constructive criticism of artwork at the bets of times and really it takes a bit of time to get to know someone to get some sort of context for what they are doing. It's almost impossible to say anything very useful about a couple of photos of work in isolation.

Similarly it can be a bit of a no win situation offering critique, as the most useful things tend to come across as negative as the nature of art tends to be that it either works as a whole in which case there isn't much to say or there are one or more elements which are problematic and are in themselves minor so good critique often ends up sounding like nitpicking. But that is exactly what it needs to be.

So in reality just asking for criticism out of context is a bit pointless, you need to engage with people and try to get a discussion going by asking the right questions.

Finally writing a worthwhile critique beyond 'that's really nice' takes some though and care so you're asking people to go to some effort to do something that they know the chances are won't be very well received.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Level 10 user

It seems to me that came out of left field. What's he talking about? Was it something I said?

Richard
Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Level 10 user

I'm still trying to find out what's going on.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Level 10 user

/me checks under my arms... nope, wasn't some body odor that chased him out!
Mystery to me, I haven't checked in here very often.