Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Level 10 user

People who don't follow instructions..

Don't you just love this type?

I saw an architectural sculpture I wanted and sent the seller an email thru the Ebay system, asking if he could do any better on the $975 price (since he had the piece up since at least last June) he wrote back asking me to call, for several reasons I really dislike these kinds of sellers who want people to call.
Ok, so after two days of playing phone message tag we finally connect, he gives me his best price offer, I pay the man with Paypal.

Since his auction was local pickup only I said I would have a third part pack and ship firm come get the item and do the packing and shipping, then he said there was a UPSstore a block from his residence there in San Francisco and that he could take the piece there and get an estimate and let me know.

So I wrote back, no need to do that, I've dealth with this franchise before and know what the approx packing fee will be for this. Meanwhile I sent that store an email cc'd to the seller letting them know to expect the guy, what services I needed, shipping address etc etc.
I said just drop it off there and they will handle all of the pack and ship details.

The guy takes it there and then he asked about insurance coverage and learned UPS won't insure antiques for damage or breakage, so he lugged the piece back home and calls, but I didn't hear the fone so it went to voice mail, a few phone tags later we connect and we go around and around about it, I briefly mentioned I could send a wood crate and just have Fedex pick it up, but they don't insure an antique if it gets broken.
So then he said he also does woodworking, so he could package it up and take it to the post office, turned out he took it there too after leaving the UPS store and learned the pastage would be $95 and they WILL insure as an antique.

So I said are you SURE about your packing skills? to pack this properly? I reminded him that once he "contracts" to do packing of something like this, if it DOES get broken and the carrier decided the packing was not up to their standards, they will deny a claim and it would be on HIS head.

I tell him I had originally contacted a moving, crating, paletizing, packing and shipping firm near him who also picks up, so he said that sounds good and he said he could drop it off there as it was only a 15 minute trip, ok, that sounds fine and it's out of his hair and this firm is in the packing, moving and crating business, it's about as good as you will find for something like this.
I told him I'd email the firm and give them all the info, all he has to do is just drop the piece off there and let them deal with it.

So I emailed this firm last night and gave them all the details, size, weight, etc etc and to expect this guy with it at 9 AM this morning
Ok, so we're all set, right? nope! he calls and says he went to the firm this morning but asked about the insurance coverage (WHY!!!!!!!??????) and he said they told him the same thing, that is it breaks in half in shipping it's not covered, so NOW he decided to package it up himself and send it by the post office so it's insured if it gets broken in half (no idea why he is so concerned about it breaking in half, this is 4" thick, it's NOT going to break in half, in any case it's MY problem and the carrier's problem)

He said if I wanted him to take it back there he would, or he can ship it by the post office.

Anyway, I said FINE, however you want to do it is fine with me, go ahead and ship it via the post office then if you are SURE of your packing skills, they can still come back and say his packing was not suffificent and deny any claim.

Gawd, people just cannot follow simple directions and feel they have to micro-manage your decisions over matters that have nothing to do with them, I said just drop it off and let them deal with all this.
I guess we'll see how this goes when it arrives, I'm half expecting him to call again and say he left it at that packing moving and shipping place after figuring out how long it will take to pack this up and how much of a chore it is, we'll see.

Now for an update... he packed it up, took him 3 hours and he weighed it and found it was 80# total, which is 10# over what the post office will take, so he calls and says there's a Kinkos nearby, so I told him to go ahead and use them/FedEx ground. SO I found the store and sent them an email with my address and info and they called me back 5 minutes later saying theres a 70# limit on residential delivery, WHAT??? I ship stuff up to 130 or more pounds via FedEx ground to residences I don't know what he's talking about! So I said you can ship it to my workplace that has a loading dock and that the guy will show up in a few minutes with the package (he did)

He had to get my address again from me and then I told him the address of my work place and he had to ask how to spell "Illinois" and this is a question from an airline pilot?
So I said I already talked to the guy there at the store and gave him my work address, now waiting for him to call back with the hopefully FINAL detail that it's on it's way.

Here's the piece:

Last edited by Art-Deco : 02-04-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Level 10 user

Re: People who don't follow instructions..

The guy finally got the package shipped, from the Kinkos/Fedex store, so it's on it's way.
Sure enough as I figured he did contact me again afterwards, this time to suggest I could save it from being loaded on another truck if I went to the FedEx terminal and picked it up if it was near me...
This guy is worse than someone who just adopted out his firstborn son to a new family or something! I had to write back and explain that the nearest terminal to me is over 2 hours drive one way away and I'm not even sure it's open to the public in the way he thinks, it is not even listed in any business or street addressing, I only know packages I ship always wind up in that city for a stopover, must be a regional hub of some kind.

Anyway, I'm going to drive over 4 hours to pick up a shipment I already paid for to be delivered!

Who wants to take bets he calls me within an hour of the tracking showing the package was delivered? I'm betting he calls me no later than 15 minutes. It's supposed to arrive Tuesday.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Level 7 user

Hope it arrives, in one piece,..sounds like a headache,let us know.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryRicketson View Post
Hope it arrives, in one piece,..sounds like a headache,let us know.
It did in fact arrive in great shape, and sure enough as I predicted- he called! He called two hours after it was delivered, I was in fact right in the middle of paying my water bill.

Now that I have it cleaned up- a real chore in itself, it had some residue of white oil based paint on it that had soaked into the pores and tiny cracks in the surface, it withstood everything I threw at it- two different paint removers applied multiple times, and even covered for hours with plastic, muriatic acid, soap and scrub brush, what finally got it off was two applications of oven cleaner (has lye in it) and a brass wire brush;

Before:

After:

And the 1891 photo from the "Times" of Sarah, along with another, it's a dead ringer for this sculpture:

Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Level 4 user

Nice find. I noticed how the cleaned up version looks so much gentler and warmer. Beware the oven cleaner it can cause irreversible eye damage.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
Nice find. I noticed how the cleaned up version looks so much gentler and warmer. Beware the oven cleaner it can cause irreversible eye damage.
Yeah it is, interesting thing is that it's low relief and unless it's illuminated from an angle it's features and fine details are difficult to see well. On reproductions they can be highlighted so that's not an issue.
To make a mold of it it will need to be lacquered, but when I go to remove that hopefully I'll be able to get the rest of that white paint out, it doesn't show much in the photo but up close in person there's a lot of it left still.

Oh yeah I know about oven cleaner/eyes, I never use oven cleaner in my oven- the fumes from spraying that stuff are super wicked!
In the past I've bought powdered lye I think from Bryant Supply to mix with water to soak cast iron and the like in, it works extremely well. It works well on terracotta as well but if the terracotta isn't soaked in water for a while first, the lye/water solution soaks in and later on as it dries out it bleeds out this white powdery lie on the surface that's almost like snow flakes and it takes a lot of rinsing and soaking to finally get rid of that.

The powdered lye is a lot better all around, you don't get those fumes aerosoled into the air like you do spraying oven cleaner.