Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Level 4 user

First show...Yowzza

Get to do a month long showing at a small art center. The director contacted me with a proposal and it is coming together. 1000 sq feet of space which will do nicely for my metal horses. Even have a artists reception.

The art center is in the middle of montana which makes it kind of remote....the director even offered a small house to stay in while I am there for the opening.

Now I have to move a herd of metal horses 200 miles which will be interesting but doable. I am known pretty well in my home town (people buy everything I make) but there is a bit of a insiders group of artists here so I haven't been invited or allowed to have a major showing of my work here (and so far too broke to set up my own show).

Now I just need to convince the director of the art center they need a permanent metal horse outside their art center.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Level 10 user

Re: First show...Yowzza

Ryder:
"Now I just need to convince the director of the art center they need a permanent metal horse outside their art center."

Absolutely!...Good Luck. let us know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Level 10 user

Hope it works out and you have a very good show!
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Level 4 user

Thanks for the bolstering comments. I posted about my upcoming show mainly to give other beginning or finally ready for prime time artists encouragement to take the plunge and extend themselves to put on a show.
This show has given me the incentive to get some good looking stuff done ahead of time so now I will have a body of work to take to some of the bigger venues coming up this summer. Seems it's too easy for me to fall into the cycle of build something, sell it, spend the money and then build something else. Nothing wrong with making money and spending it but to grow as a artist I need to expand my overall goals.....plus it makes it easier to pay the bills.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Level 4 user

Had a great artists reception at my little show. The director of the art center grew up in the rural town where the art center is then moved away for career. Now coming back to her roots she has skills way beyond her current job.
I got good exposure to the right people and booked several commissions.
There also was a state level "art van" visiting so for two days I taught elementary age kids some simple wire bending. One forth grader claimed "I've been welding for 4 years"....amazing ranch kids
Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Level 10 user

A fourth grader who has been welding for four years? Ain't it grand to come across kids who can really do something?

Richard
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Level 4 user

Just a update on the month long show I had in May. I sold some stuff initially at the show and after I picked up the major part of the sculptures from the show I left a few pieces to sell at the gift shop attached to the art center. Now that tourist season is in full swing I have been getting some nice (small) checks in the mail when my other pieces sell.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Level 8 user

Congratulations on your show and sale. I wish you much more success. I've just pulled all of my wood carvings (kitchen prep spoons & forks) out of the two shops marketing them. Sales were poor and the entire exercise was intended to last just 12 months before review. Next is to interact with the summer tourists directly in Farmers' Markets and try a Christmas craft fair.

Local contractor used his kid (10?) to excavate with the backhoe after school & weekends. The kid claims that there never was a video game to match what he was doing for real.