Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Might be buying a store

Looking real good, If you have a push broom type unscrew the handle and screw it into the roller handle and still easier even with the 4 way one direction at a time and coat it all with out climbing a ladder.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsideshow View Post
Looking real good, If you have a push broom type unscrew the handle and screw it into the roller handle and still easier even with the 4 way one direction at a time and coat it all with out climbing a ladder.
Yeah I used a screw-in broom handle but remember- the ceiling is 13 feet high- still too high to reach from the floor with a regular broom handle!
Seems to be an odd ceiling height to me 13 feet but that's what it is.

The rear maybe 25 feet of ceiling has a different design in the tin that was a little more difficult to get the paint into, the archaeologist in me figured out why the different design- there's evidence of a fire long ago in the basement where the coal furnace was, the joists- some are scorched and some replaced, I'm betting the fire dept did some collateral damage to the ceiling looking for extensions of fire in the attic, or the punched a hole in the roof to vent the smoke and streamed water in too, however it went down it was early enough in the building's history that tin ceilings were still standard but either the specific design wasn't or they used what was on hand. I'm guessing that mezzanine was damaged and rebuilt since there is a window with an embedded steel header I beam for it so it had to have always have been there.

I went back a few hours ago with the car to bring some more pieces over, and as long as I was there I decided to paint some cornice, wound up doing the whole thing across the front and maybe 20 feet down the other wall. At least in the front I was able to stand on the top of the display window/entry enclosure. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel now!

I think I can start putting some sculptures up on the walls now that I have the ceiling done in the front, I figured the old pieces on one side and my sculptures on the other wall, I won't be able to hang all of the old pieces as some of them are very heavy and I wouldn't even be able to lift them, so some of those will go on stands or something.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Level 10 user

Re: bought the building

I have a couple of pics tonight, after progressing enough to start mounting pieces on the walls now.
I ran into a stumbling block on the floor,it looks like Menards, at least the one local-ish to me no longer carries parquet, I emailed their flooring manager and she said they no longer do business with the company the tiles came from that they had before, and they no longer carry this product.

A few years back I bought 150 sq ft of prefinished oak parquet there for 89 cents a foot and figured they would always carry it since it's a pretty standard floor product.I thought by now they would have some and the price would be a little higher but they have none at all.
Searching around the web has been an excersize in frustration, and about the cheapest price I could find is now at least $2.00 and up a sq ft, and most of the sites that carry parquet flooring have search engines on them and the pricing "low to high" STARTS at $2.00 a foot.

I briefly entertained looking at carpeting prices, and found they are now selling that by the square FOOT- totally new to me since it's always been by the sq yard as long as I can remember. I found some for about 89 cents a sq ft in a nearby town's Flooring America store, but their installation fee is $3.79 a sq ft !!! What a joke, $3.79 a sq ft to install 89 cent a sq ft carpeting, thanks but no thanks!
Ive never laid such huge heavy pieces of carpeting before or dealt with the inevitable 42 feet of seam it would have down the center, so that's not exactly a do it yourself by yourself project.
Someone sugegsted carpet tiles, but I don't think I want to glue carpeting down.

Anyway, meanwhile I am hanging pieces on the wall to start with. I gave the two brick pilasters in the front corners a heavy curved texture with a thin layer of drywall paste trowelled on over the entire surfaces and then brushed with a stiff, wide wallpaper paste brush moved in a series of semi-circular motions. Once dry they were painted to match the walls, that dealt with the damaged chipped crummy plaster the pilasters had, and got rid of the silly panelling they had nailed over them.

And I finished the two oak newel posts for the railings I made, the posts still need to be stained. They are attached to the floor with a 5/16 threaded rod down from a plate inside their tops through the floor.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Level 10 user

I like the plywood.

Check craigslist for flooring and wood and lumber. I've bought a good amount of siding etc. for like 1/2 or less than market value.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
I like the plywood.

Check craigslist for flooring and wood and lumber. I've bought a good amount of siding etc. for like 1/2 or less than market value.

That second photo shows the area in back that has linoleum, I can see maybe you mistook that for being a good grade of plywood maybe?
The plywood I used on the half that needs new flooring is just CDX and has lots of deck screws in each sheet,even painted it wouldn't be a decent floor due to expansion gaps etc between sheets too.
My problem is I need so much flooring, 850 sq ft is enough to do a small house, there's plenty of single or two boxes of left over parquet on Ebay that I happened to find, one guy had 30 tiles, might be enough for a bathroom or closet.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Level 10 user

Check this web site out,lumberliquidators they have stores all over great prices may be soon having deals due to the storm out east!

The store looks great so far.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Check this web site out,lumberliquidators they have stores all over great prices may be soon having deals due to the storm out east!

The store looks great so far.

Yeah I did check them earlier, their web site had mostly the tongue and groove strip oak which is a lot more headache to install, and laminated stuff. I don't want to add much more height to the floor than the parquet will add too, because the original floor was about even with the concrete outside, now with the plywood and parquet I will have about 3/4" or so height I'll need to adjust for with a bottom plate, If I went with regular 3/4" thick oak strips wow, that would mean having to compensate for almost 1-1/2" higher floor inside.

I just looked again, and that's what they carry. I got the last 5/8" CDX I needed yesterday for $16 a sheet, I would expect the prices on all building materials will go UP due to a lot of sudden demand by the storm- causing shortages, price gouging, and the usual January price increases on almost everything.
I'm glad I got the 26 sheets of plywood I needed when I did, even so the first few sheets were $14 and now the price has gone up over $2 a sheet to $16 and change.

I installed the tin ceiling pieces I ordered, the two field pieces were the devil to get up because I discovered the original installers had only nailed up a strip of board along the wall, and then across and down every two feet, so the 10" strips I put on over the existing damaged spots could be air nailed along one edge where it met the cornice, but the other edge 10" over there was nothing to nail up to- the original pieces are 24" wide so the next board over is about 14" over from where I needed to nail.
I wound up installing a narrow strip of oak along that edge and screwing that up every foot into the rafters which weren't easy to find- I had to get into the attic again to see where the screws were going in order to locate one rafter to start measuring out from.
The edges are all caulked up now and the metal primed, so tomorrow I can finish painting them.

I also finished triming the rear window, caulked and painted it so it's done, gee, with the painting done I hope tomorrow, there won't be much left to do at the moment since there's just the finished floor and the light fixtures left to do.
I do need to fabricate some brackets to hang more pieces with, but
I guess I will start working on designing and building the components for the two doors and raised panels for the exterior, probably working on those over the xmas vacation week.

The mayor stopped by the other day which was pretty cool.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Level 10 user

Re:

I still have more work to do, but have most of what I wanted to get done first taken care of. For now I'll take a little break on buying more materials as the ceiling is all painted and I want to start work on the doors etc soon.
I started generating some signage for the artifacts on the wall, and printed the material out on heavy white coated paper which I glued to pieces of white foam board.

I probably made up a dozen and put them on the wall with a piece of velcro behind each, below is a sample of one, the actual signs are in black and white not color since I have a black only lazer printer, but the images print up real sharp as does the text on the paper I bought. Some are more than one page and contain from none to three photos.

It's been real mild so far, so I don't even think the furnace has come on since it's set at the lowest (50 degrees) setting and every time I check it's been around 58 degrees, though it was 54 the other night. My utilities should be pretty low after the utility co revisits and adjusts my budget payment amount this month.
I also talked to my attorney about obtaining a tax exemption on the building's $1,016 property tax, according to the state code, the way it is worded I won't even need to form an official non-profit corporation or transfer the building to it to do this, because the code includes,

Chapter 427.
Public and private (not-for-profit for public use) library and art gallery buildings and grounds.

So I filled out a one page form and mailed it in last week, that should save that $1,016 tax on the property each year, and that's a lot more than I would ever sell there in a year if I was operating it as a commercial store front.

Last edited by Art-Deco : 12-02-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Level 10 user

You have come a long way in a short time! And it is coming together nicely, might as well go for everything you can get. As others will do it for the only reason of ripping the tax payers off!
Continued good luck.
All the usual
Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
You have come a long way in a short time! And it is coming together nicely, might as well go for everything you can get. As others will do it for the only reason of ripping the tax payers off!
Continued good luck.
Yeah for sure, I figured if all the other non-profit, and "non-profit" entities out there can qualify for tax exemption and not pay any real estate taxes on huge expensive buildings on prime real estate, my little art gallery should too!

I'm paying extra money on the mortgage each month so the building will be completely paid off in about four years, that will save me interest, and it also will avoid that $7,000 balloon payment due in five years.
I didn't like the idea of that balloon payment, but being a commercial loan and all that is the contract my bank offered. It only requires about $86/mo payment, so it was easy to calculate sending in just $200 a month will ditch the mortgage entirely in about four years.
I already made the February payment, and about to make the March payment, so I am also a couple of months ahead on it.
Heading out now to go glue up, cut and place some more signs.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Level 10 user

Good on you, Since you are working on signage. You might want to keep in mind that Dick Blicks art supply has most of the supplies small sign shops use and can't make the minimum orders of some of the supply houses. http://www.dickblick.com/categories/signmaking/
When I was doing signage and banners Use to get some of the stuff from them.
This may help the budget with the Ohsa signage! http://www.freesignage.com/index.php
Here is something else that may be of use lots and lots of store stuff plus almost anything else you can thing of! http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/home/index.cfm
All the usual
Old 12-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Good on you, Since you are working on signage. You might want to keep in mind that Dick Blicks art supply has most of the supplies small sign shops use and can't make the minimum orders of some of the supply houses.

Oh nice, thanks! yeah, I'll probably need some "EXIT" and other type signs too.

I've bought some modelling tools from Blick as I remember, they do have a good selection of things.
I tried looking for that 3/4" black gatorfoam board, but it was ridiculously expensive and I saw some of it in 4x8 foot sheets for $173.
I wound up looking on Amazon and found various sizes and types but the postage was almost the cost of the items, and some of the board material was around $11 for a 20x30 roughly sized board.
In the end I went to the local variety store and there on a rack was a bunch of sheets about that 20x30 size in various colors for about $2.89
I bought six of those and a can of Krylon spray adhesive, here's what some of them look like,

Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Level 10 user

Looks good, If you have a Hobby Lobby in the area. they have it on sale in white currently. And a can of spray paint can work wonders
All the usual
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Level 10 user

I've set about building the first half of the pair of entry doors, 36" x 80" each out of laminated 4/4 popular to end up with about 1-5/8" thick.
I laminated the lumber yesterday and today I cut it all, did the double row of mortice and tenons- 24 of them, quite a chore!
Then I glued the door up and plan to clean it up and sand it tomorrow.

The upper section allows for glass, the lower section is about 29" high and has two recessed panels with a vertical member between them in the center.
I'll either route the edges on one side to allow for the glass and panels, or just use strips of ogee molding on both sides, either way works fine.
I'll probably cut and laminate the lumber for the other door tomorrow, and get a photo of the first one.
I used poplar as it's readily available to me, free of knots etc and the doors will be painted anyway so it doesn't matter what color the wood is and poplar boards vary from all cream to boards that are mostly black/green.

I will have to order safety glass to fit later, as well as hinges and hardware, for now I want to get them built and start on the door frame and four posts.
The measurements I took today show that if I leave the two angled glass windows the same width they are (30") and move them 90 degrees to the large ones, the doors would have to move in about 10" from where the current one is now- which is at the edge of the concrete outside where it meets the wood floor inside, if I move the door plane in 10" to keep the glass the same width, I'll have to cover that wood floor with a good metal threshold 12" x 72" to make it weather tight.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Level 10 user

Sounds like you are moving along nicely, continued good fortune, on your progress.
All the usual
Old 12-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks PT, yes, moving along well

Here's a photo of the first door, it is only a sanded frame for now, the panels, glass and moldings are not installed. It's 1-5/8" thick, quite beefy even if it doesn't seem so in the photo.

I looked a little yesterday at possibly using just one door to see if I might save having to make the second one, but for several reasons it wasn't going to work well because of the two support posts I need outside and having to dink around with the angled windows and attaching them to the back of the posts at an angle.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Level 10 user

Nice job on that door.
And Yes i do/did? like the "Ratty" CDX floor, gaps and screws and all.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
Nice job on that door.
And Yes i do/did? like the "Ratty" CDX floor, gaps and screws and all.
Thanks, I glued up the second door today, I have to sand it tomorrow.
The floor yeah, it's almost a modern work of art it's still plywood till I find something, might wind up putting some carpet in for now on half of it.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Level 10 user

Now here we are 3 years later... I decided to sell the building and moved all my stuff out a few weeks ago, it was fun while it lasted but I never did get any interest, encouragement or anything on it from the city, or even the "betterment" group who for years was yammering on about wanting to bring new businesses to town etc
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 AM
ISC Member

Not overly surprised particularly by the city's/publics response. Have been in business as an artist for 27 years, rarely has any person crossed the threshold of my studio/store who was a townie. In all those years only made one sculpture sale to a townie & she was a transplant from a large urban area.

99% of all our sales are from out-of-towners. This is a problem if your town is not a mecca for tourists to stop at - means all the burden of marketing, selling, showing is on you to get the clients in & sell to them.

But this is a blessing in that you know that it is all because of your efforts that your business is succeeding.

Hope you can get an excellent price for your storefront.

Carl
Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Level 10 user

It was listed on a Saturday, and sold on Monday, already closed the other day and I have my check. I got back about what I originally paid, less the $1,000 real estate agent's fee and the materials/time I put in.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 AM
Level 10 user

any idea what the new owner is going to use it for?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
any idea what the new owner is going to use it for?
Yes I do, I know the new owner well, he is going to use the back half for a condo since he sold his home here about 2 weeks ago and divides his time between his house in Minneapolis and here, he also has wood sculptures he made over the years that are too tall for his house, he plans to put them in the front of the space.

He plans to retire in 2020 so I assume he will sell the building then.