Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Level 10 user

The Old Days

I DO miss those days when this forum was on fire,

when protagonists, antagonists, villains, super-heros, sainted ones, heathens, know-it-alls, scraphounds, atelierists, posers, pastors, self-proclaimed masters, rebel rousers, whiners, charlatans, stoics, pompous-asses, dipshits, geniuses, hipsters, teachers, students, amateur-pros, professional amateurs, tool monkeys, material junkies and overall disciples to the three-dimensional

roamed these pages with joy and rage.

Perhaps it can be so again beyond the dispersed and mean'd social media scope that is so too-easy and too handy. We did not become sculptors to follow the easy.
I propose a Renaissance. And in the name of Michealangelo, I will try to bring it and bring it fresh with the fresh help of the meager numbers still coming around (here). But I guess I should warn the casual members who have arrived since I departed; you might not like me (or, you will like me alot and there can be relationships that maintain for many years as I have established with some members).
Hah!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Level 5 user

Re: The Old Days

I've noticed that forums in general seem to be suffering a bit of a slump, with either very little activity or just being dumping grounds for links to the sort of pseudo-journalism that seems to be the curse of the internet at the moment...you know 7 amazing facts about {insert name here} which will blow your mind.

I suspect that part of the problem is that the internet never quite managed to develop a workable system of politeness to allow proper discussions and now things are polarized between fairly bland small talk and unrestrained vitriol.

And as you say, since every interaction or transaction ever now asks for some sort of comment there is a bit of fatigue setting in.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 AM
Level 10 user

Forums in general seemed to have lost popularity in recent years as twitter and Facebook came out and most people are using that horrible format now with it's infinite scroll Infinite scroll never worked well years ago, and it sure doesn't now especially when there's hundreds or thousands of pictures in it. That's one reason I dumped flickr.com the change to an infinite scrolling page with thousands of images embedded into it that continuously load and slow the browser down to a crawl.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Level 10 user

Some of us still like to share our thoughts in forums. The trick is to come up with interesting and provocative topics; something that gets people riled up enough to bother writing a comment. Even a question on some obscure technique or material can be enough to get a heated debate going. Any ideas?

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Level 10 user

The Old Days had their undeniably great aspects, but for the two or so years before this forum suddenly died, I had begun to notice that many people, including some of the oldest members, were dropping away as more and more often they were ignored or even ridiculed by a, you could call it a ruling clique, that seemed to consider any but their own tastes in art to be passe. Especially any type of figurative art, or, God Forbid, portraiture. Although this forum now lacks the lively discussions of yesteryear, it is a place where artists can come to both share their work and to find solutions to their problems.

I do miss the lively discussions, but I do not miss the exclusiveness and the arrogance that held forth here in the final years.

Richard
Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM

Really good to see your name around here again, Matt.

Indeed, it would be nice to see this place clanking together once again.

Where have most of you been posting, if at all? I assume, like Art-Deco mentioned, that Facebook/Twitter have filled the gaps.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Level 10 user

This one is more up my street

http://figurativesculptors.com/

But unfortunately its deader than this one
Old 08-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Level 10 user

I tried to breathe some life into that forum several years ago, but to no avail.

There is another one that was really good, with some real top notch professional metal workers that suddenly just died. artmetal.com
It died almost overnight.

My metal polishing forum used to have maybe ten posts a day. The last time someone posted was back in June.

Richard
Old 08-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Level 10 user

Last edited by Duck : 08-25-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Level 10 user

Hi Eval and hi everyone.... yes I too, miss the good old days exchanges here. Beyond the undeniable fact that this fórum went dead rather quickly, lays the question what really happened ? Not to dwell on matters beyond topic, but THAT would not be a bad topic to start back and avoid stands that started to kill the fórum in first place. WTF happened ? interesting analysis... Some just stated their reasons driving them away. Would you care to share what bugged you in an atempt to make this fórum come alive ? My view is that some of us are great at doing sculpture, othes are not that good but are great at talking about and theorizing over still unanswered aspects of this nourishing form of art , very few are good at both... inability to not take criticism personally and boredom coming from over elaborate assays and exchanges, may just be some causes. All within those three groups I mentioned above should recognize virtues intrinsic to all, and thus make the exchanges here in this fórum a fun, nourishing and relaxing experience, avoiding excess as possible....
Old 08-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Level 10 user

Nothing drove me away. I use to visit every day but now less frequently. Thats because I am less active at the moment in my sculpture, so have less to post.
Another reason I visit is to see the work of others. Now less work is being shown I dont need to visit as often.
I wasnt really interested in the arty discussions so dont really miss that.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Level 10 user

This is an awesome open forum on the net and we should revive it. Richard, do you really think it was arrogance? I almost never felt that way. Challenging, yes, high standards, yes, freedom of expression, yes, openness yes, critical assessment of work, yes, help if you asked for it, YES! Of course, some of the words hurt, we all have an ego, and to be honest, as artists, probably more fragile and sensitive than the rest, but I always considered the source, and found no malice. I learned, I grew, I was challenged to think. All good things.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Level 10 user

It´s been long....What about sharing what you guys have been doing , workwise, artewise, any wise ??? I must confess sculpture became to me a thing of the past, unfortunately. Daily chores and work for the money have taken most of my time, good part of which I used to dedícate to expressing myself through sculpture. Frustrating episodes have slapped me only to realice I may have put off my dearest trade, but mi mind spins around it and longs to take it back. Lately, I felt like I used to, namely sculpting without thinking how long it takes, if it will sell, and does it have to be shown at a gallery ....? Hell, there´s more to it tan that, so I´m planning like I said to get myself togeher and indulge in a activity that like few are soul and mind rewarding. Will share on due time.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Level 10 user

I am looking forward to your sculpture, Nelson!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Level 10 user

It's hard to find a community that will help you grow into who you wish to be, instead of who they think you should be.
The place where people make room for you at the table is where I gravitated to. When the overbearing opinions followed, I did some weeding.
The voices I value now are deeply engaged in their own exploration and have passions I appreciate. They also are humble people, or strive to be. They are passionate about politics, poetry, art, human rights, nature, cultural activities, being a good human.
My sculpture has continued to be a source of self expression, and has gained some attention in the city's arts community.
We grow, we move on to live people who support our goals, grateful for those who got us that far.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Level 10 user

Wow, nice to hear old Friends coming back. Thanks Erika. I love your sculpture too. Where have all the other media you've been exploring taken you? How has that journey influenced your sculpture if you still engage on that form of expresión?

Hi Ann ! Nice to hear you´re back, please don´t leave....you two are great female assets here !

Speaking of assets, what about that guy named Joe if I remember well, LOL. another fun dude to have around. Hope he and so many others show up...
Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Level 10 user

Looks like the Holy Grail betrayed us, knights and maidens, and the time has come to sit around the round table again, forget about the quest, pass around the mead, and talk. I am happy to see more and more of you!

Nelson, I just posted in the images gallery.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:56 PM
ISC Professional Member

Hi everyone!
Fun to read this post.

My thoughts are echoed in your words... (some included below.)
Like several others, nothing drove me away.
I am just working too hard at this art thing to post.

This forum provided me with a group of friends and artists who helped and influenced me in my work.
It was great fun and I helped myself to many ideas that were offered here... free of charge. Thanks

As Nelson said: some are great at talking about and theorizing over still unanswered aspects of this nourishing form of art...
I found some good theory here.

And summed up by grommet... a thought to aspire to...

The voices I value now are deeply engaged in their own exploration and have passions I appreciate. They also are humble people, or strive to be. They are passionate about politics, poetry, art, human rights, nature, cultural activities, being a good human.

Talk like that just makes you want to be a better sculptor!

I would love to say that I could post regularly here again, but I have to be honest and invite you to my site as that is where I post now.

Happy sculpting
Cheers Blake

Latest Unnamed Prophet #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UnnamedProphetNo2wss.1681.jpg (48.9 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Blake : 09-02-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:43 AM
ISC Professional Member

Ok this is like I am talking to myself here...

Yet I thought that you might find it interesting to know that out of 2000 people that visit my website per month about 20 come from this site.

I would imagine that they are all new visitors...
So although we are finding this a slow forum there are still people coming to the site.

Hello.... anyone out there?

Blake
Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Level 10 user

The Unnamed Prophet is more of your great work. I sent my two friends, Stan and Lloyd to you show in Vancouver two years ago and they loved you and your work. Lloyd has finished his newest opera based on the story of the plane crash in the Andes, and it was presented there in concert form recently.

Richard
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq View Post

Where have most of you been posting, if at all? I assume, like Art-Deco mentioned, that Facebook/Twitter have filled the gaps.
I've been making use of facebook some, but not much for sculpture related content, I have my own forum but it's only for me to post to.
I know "Scout" who used to post here moved to some facebook group, she came to my forum a year or so ago, posted a few times and that was about it, I don't know what group she went to or even if it's still active.

I was part of that artspan forum as a moderator but they shut it down when their admin lost control of the foreign mass-registrations spamming, I was also part of another sculpture forum at mysculpturesgallery, moderating it with others, but it was getting little more than new people signing up to ask us how much some bric-a-brac they found at a garage sale was worth and leaving.
I got tired of having to tell the people the same thing over and over that we were not a free appraisal service for the potmetal lamps and bookends they found at garage sales but a fine art and sculpture forum. I left that one when I decided I no longer wanted to do that or work alongside another moderator whose language and spelling skills were absolutely embarassing, he was at the fifth grade level at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
This one is more up my street

http://figurativesculptors.com/

But unfortunately its deader than this one
I've been there briefly quite a while back, one guy I think runs it on his personal site, it was pretty dead then, I deleted my bookmark and login cookie info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspero View Post
I tried to breathe some life into that forum several years ago, but to no avail.

There is another one that was really good, with some real top notch professional metal workers that suddenly just died. artmetal.com
It died almost overnight.

My metal polishing forum used to have maybe ten posts a day. The last time someone posted was back in June.

Richard
I saw one the other day that looked interesting: http://www.iforgeiron.com/

I haven't made any new models in months, just buying various artifacts and antiques mostly, and also sold off my gallery building last month.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:23 AM
ISC Professional Member

Hey raspero
Thanks for getting back to me... I thought that I heard a echo!
I am pleased that you like the prophet, my work is getting more and more abstract and less and less figurative, I like the direction!

Headed into 3D printing as I would like to merge the digital with the analog.
I'll let you know how that works out for me!

I am showing again in Vancouver on the 29 Oct at Petley Jones Gallery, 1554 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V6J 1R2

I hope that Stan and Lloyd can come I would love to see them again, they were great fun. Please pass on the invitation for me. Thanks

Art Deco
I have seen a lot of these forums come and go and i think that this one is among the best of them. It has been around a long time and I find the people here serious about the sculpture that they create.
As well there is a great deal of information here already and I find a good response if I have questions or want opinions... I like that a lot.

Cheers Blake
Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Level 10 user

I think I started leaving off from the daily check in here after I found facebook and realized I could post my artwork or thoughts about anything and find positive support instead of blowing people's circuits who happened to have a different perspective than mine. The artists who are my facebook friends are a diverse group for sure, but there seems to be much more acceptance of people than I found here. Not that I was not accepted here, but it seemed like just making a basic statement of any sort turned into yet another verbal mosh pit of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or some such kicked hornet's nest of contention. For a while it was somewhat amusing, but it also got a bit too personal and tiresome for me to want to continue with it. Having to defend figurative art as some kind of backward-looking anomaly all the time on a sculpture forum is just plain ridiculous.

On the positive side, there was a lot of giving and receiving of technical advice, and people taking time to make thoughtful and thorough commentary. That aspect is generally lacking depth on facebook.

Because many of the people from here are fb friends, I don't feel like I've lost touch...and on rare occasions like today I remember to check back.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:11 AM
ISC Professional Member

Great to hear from you Glenn

I can see your point; defending figurative sculpture takes a lot of energy.

But sculpting the figure is a part of many people like us, no matter how you do it.
I am working on pushing the figure into a more contemporary space with new ideas and although not appreciated by many, I find it most fulfilling.

Facebook has changed a lot of things too..
Why not post your facebook page here so we can join you there as well?

Cheers Blake
Old 09-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Level 10 user

Perhaps now that a few of us are back, we could start some new threads. Once things get rolling, I am sure more will show up and add to the discussion. I always enjoyed the critiques, and seeing others' new work and progress. A lot of what we are interested in is just too esoteric for Facebook. It is a limited medium for free exchange of ideas, but useful for putting your work out for a large number of people from all walks of life, advertising and marketing purposes.

I'll think of some thread ideas, and hope you all add your own to keep this forum alive and active.