Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Level 1 user

How important is drawing for sculptors?

Anyone here other than me think that drawing is by far more important than actually doing the sculpture?

I think that drawing is much more important to a sculptor than it is to a painter. But that is just moi.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Level 10 user

Re: How important is drawing for sculptors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontes
Anyone here other than me think that drawing is by far more important than actually doing the sculpture?

I think that drawing is much more important to a sculptor than it is to a painter. But that is just moi.

Dude are you Tripping.I never had drawings for fifteen years ,and I metal sculpted full time.I enjoy the freedom of sculpting from my head with the materials at hand.Sure I would sometimes do thumbnails during the fabrication,but I work 3-d not 2-d.Now in the last five years I have had to have drawings because I do mostly commission work,but they are for the client more than me.I will also be a man and emmit that not drawing that swell has made commission work more difficult.I am in the process of designing a sculpture for the University I attend,and it has to be on paper to get the contracts ect,but seeing it in my head and drawing it 3-d are two different things.I imagine are high tech sculptors today have computer generated 3-d drawings,with cd to send to fab shop to pre cut their parts.I will post one of my early sculptures that was not drawn ,and actually started out as something else until I turned it upsidedown to weld.good thread to get the blood boiling in the morning.........m3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brill.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1754  Click image for larger version

Name:	veronicas 2.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1757  Click image for larger version

Name:	LSC 2.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1756  

Last edited by iron ant : 06-02-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 AM
ISC Member

I'd love to be able to draw well. When I cant sculpt, I sketch--like in the middle of the night or when time allows at work. (It can be a real trip to look at my notes from a meeting)

For sculpture though, it serves me to toy with ideas, play with possible alternative views, and record construction solutions.

But, as the Ant says, "I enjoy the freedom of sculpting from my head with the materials at hand."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW-sketch.JPG
Views:	1047
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1758  

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 06-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Level 10 user

Oddist,You would probally laugh at my drawings,more like a cartoon.When I get my camera fixed I will post a picture of the wall sculpture I am building out of stainless for a developer in LA.I had to rough draw it to scale so they could hang it on the wall of there Balboa Beach house.If he had not seen my extensive book,my sculpture in person while he was in Atlanta,I probally would not have gotten the commission.I really hate drawing things out,I enjoy "winging"it as I go.Full moons are the best time......
Old 06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Level 6 user

I do not draw most of my work. Just let the metal go and try to shape it the way I want. But as iron ant said because of commissions I have to present a drawing. Usually pretty crude and just enough to put on dimensions so the customer knows the size..
When I do sketch it is on bar napkins. Hard to figure out the next morning what some of them are suppose to be.

warren
Old 06-03-2005, 04:45 PM
ISC Member

Here's something of interest...Instead of sculpture drawing -- drawing sculpture

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 06-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Level 10 user

freestanding figurative sculpture has many thousands of perspectives----so we may strat off as a painter, focusing on one point of view, but then as we move around the piece, problems arise, and changing the primary view to accomodate the other perspectives becomes an ongoing compromise working together to create a unified dynamic whole which is equally comfortable from all viewpoints.

so; sketching

as a subordinate tool for refining concepts and exploring perspectives i find it as good as taking myriad pictures (which give a 2d perspective view uncontaminated by 3d visual memory from any other perspective) and staring at them out of sequence and by finding the uncomfortable and favorite views, reguide the hand to improve the work

I think, that if you think that "drawing is by far more important than actually doing the sculpture" ....maybe you should just do that for awhile

In all fairness let me point out that I may invest lots of hours sketching----especially when I am foundering for a bearing.......my mental sails flapping from an untethered boom......sketching soothes and focuses the meandering mind .... and most especially helps me to back off from working the piece while staying in the game.

eg: [IMG]mermaid sketches[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Level 10 user

The author of Modelling and Sculpting the Human Figure, Edouard Lanteri, said that in his opinion drawing was more important for the sculptor than the painter. He was primarily a traditional/academic sculptor from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. This would make his statement seem dated, but his assertion is based on the idea that an artist that is dealing with form rather than shape alone must have a better working knowledge of the way objects are contructed. That dynamic hasn't changed and I would say that atleast in the figurative side of sculpting it is extremely important. One can look at the work of Michelangelo and see the benefits his mastery of drawing had for his sculptural efforts.

Perhaps the sculptor who works in forms that are more design oriented and less dependent upon realistic portrayals of nature could be excused from this exercise.

My own experience makes drawing indispensible for composition as well as sharpening rendering skills.