Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Noah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Okay...the version with the dove - the regarding of which is the extent of the contemplative act. It is not a bird, but it is wonder.

Though I wouldnt mind a small prop to activate compositionally accross from the bird. What might be in his hand at this moment?

I think a hammer in his hand and the bird are polar forces. No matter what you did I think some would interpret it as anger against the the poor dove.
(mmmmm a litle closer my pretty( sighs) " at last not fish again!")

i think something other than a hammer would be more appropriate. maybe a woodworking plane . As others have said maybe a combination of your two sketch ideas. good luck Im sure you will have an epic journey with this one
Old 07-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
I think a hammer in his hand and the bird are polar forces. No matter what you did I think some would interpret it as anger against the the poor dove.
(mmmmm a litle closer my pretty( sighs) " at last not fish again!")

i think something other than a hammer would be more appropriate. maybe a woodworking plane . As others have said maybe a combination of your two sketch ideas. good luck Im sure you will have an epic journey with this one
By the time the dove has returned with the twig all the building and construction has long finished
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
By the time the dove has returned with the twig all the building and construction has long finished
Yeah, but these are symbols. An artist doesn't need to be bogged down by the chronological unfolding of the story, or the story itself. Although it is a commission, E got a free hand at developing the sculpture according to his vision-- a dream project, an ideal situation.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Level 6 user

It's difficult to tell what may emerge as a sculpture from the sketches, but given that, I prefer the first. I think that Rika is right about the hammer - lose that and everthing changes (from 'maker' to ......). I also prefer the lines of force in the first - the second is rather diffused.

I personally would also not wish to offer an 'illustration' of elements from the story. For me, Noah would be a VICTIM, subservient to God's irrational desire to destroy the human race (which does not and cannot work). Noah conspires with God in this destruction (horrendous thought!). Genocide no less. And for what? If man is free then God's interventions can only be tragic and hopeless.

Attached: Henry Moore's masterpiece 'Fallen Warrior' - I'd either show Noah as the drunken madman of the post-flood era or as victim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moore1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	13637  Click image for larger version

Name:	moore2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	13638  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Level 10 user

K, it is just me - and I could go into it at length, of course, but vertical is better than horizontal. Compositional whimsy aside, vertical (and diagonal) present challenges that infuse the process with elements of material dynamic and danger (real ones, not metaphorical ones).
Also, if Noah was god's sucker, then that is far too narrative an approach also. I do like the dense tight "ball" though that a fist becomes when clenched; a worthy sculpture all its own; o perhaps there will be just that "in" the hand - relating the sensation that things might not be changing for the better with the end of the flood for ol man Noah.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
ships carpenters are allways busy with maintenance of a wooden vessel . 5 minutes before the bird returns old Noah may have thought he had another year on the water so,.... doing routine maintenance (fixing that barn door the donkey kicked in!)would be normal and expected.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Level 6 user

Yes, I see where you are going. The Moore I only added because of the figurative drama of the piece - figure and tragedy interwoven. I like the fact that he makes a commitment to dramatic, expressive form, abandoning representational exactitude for the expressive power of line and mass poised in the action of falling. Somehow the piece transcends the particular and takes to itself a tremendous expressiveness.

But I still like the hammer...
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Level 6 user

A drunken Noah, no less! In Venice, apparently. Nice bit of carving and styling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drunken_Noah.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	13639  
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Level 10 user

The drunken Noah is only comical; a fallen buffoon, a clown, tragic self pity...woe is me! Hah! The presence of this (brand) of Noah seems just novelty and exploiting. Grape imagery and overflowing sups are and handled far better by the likes of Dionysus, Bacchus or Silenus...or WC Fields or Churchill of Bukowski.

Not that Noah (or any other character from myth or history - and they are ALL quite always fictional) deserves any respectful treatment; but the useful application of his personna as a "tool' for creative composition seems to yield greater possibility in other aspects of his tradition.

The carved beard and flowing fluid is very nicely done on that one K, but the figure itself, the handling of the body, is terrible. I have seen freshman economics majors execute better gesture and anatomy.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Level 6 user

But there is a nice touch here, where we see Noah 'leaning' on the waves (his right hand). This is a bold interpretive move, that links his present state to his work for God. Again, post-flood is possibly no better than pre-flood. Mind you, I think that a lot of the significance of this story relies on the covenant/rainbow, but let's not go there.

I'm not inclined to be too critical of the form of the body - it's all a bit naive, like the sea, but the head is a fine thing, and the decorative work around suggests perhaps the work of a stonemason rather than a sculptor (Could be very wrong about that) or a sculptor with good vision but limited range. OR, the work is meant to be seen from below and at a distance, hence strong forms and distortions that will not show up in reality.....

Last edited by Kilkenny : 07-17-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Level 10 user

E i just skimmed this but if you are talking about the hammer and the bird you could drop the hammer from the hand . It is slipping out of the grasp or it has been dropped on the ground at the feet.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Level 10 user

Right Sub, or a plank or a bucket etc. Yes...a prop on the ground. Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Level 9 user

A large arc (as tall as the sculpture) that could represent the bow of the ark could be a nice element.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkenny View Post
A drunken Noah, no less! In Venice, apparently. Nice bit of carving and styling.
I just noticed this Noah is tied to the grapevine by his own garment.The last stand , the highest point on earth , further retreat not possible. an interesting touch a bit like that greek? chap tied to the mast,the only one in his crew without wax in his ears listening to the sirens............. only this time the boiling approaching / receeding waves!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Level 6 user

Hadn't noticed that, Scrapartoz.

RWJR's point is good, and the arc can also suggest the rainbow.

Last edited by Kilkenny : 07-20-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Level 4 user

probably too late on this but how about a wood working tool in the hand of Noah? either a wood mallet or some kind of simple block plane with him looking up?