Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Sculptor

Figuration continued

Kfleischman just posted I am still very interested in expressing my view of life through the use of the human figure. I have never felt the human figure is dead as a source ...

I completely agree. I use the human figure exclusively, and in a realistic, generally nude form. The figure is a subtle means of expressing things, and most people look past the content, saying something like “OK, just another figure.” Not so, if the artist is good.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:57 AM
ISC Member

Thank you Fritchie and CloudDreamer,
I know we are supposed to be discussing the topic, but it is nice to get to know each of you by drawing you out beyond the topic.

CloudDreamer wrote; This belief came about NOT through reading a book, but many, from searching throughout my lifetime to understand what my more bizarre dreams meant..how could thoughts come to my mind in the Dreamtime, when as a sheltered teen, I had never read or viewed any of these symbols(or subject matter).

In the words of a fellow student at the Art Institute of Chicago (he was a Psychology Professor too) "it comes to us through the airwaives. It is everywhere. We pick it up without even knowing we pick it up. It is auto-suggestion in it's many forms. Next thing we know, it's Gospel. Discard it as soon as you can." And so I did. Victoria
Old 05-28-2003, 12:12 PM
ISC Member

CloudDreamer wrote;
My artwork in scrap metal almost always has an ancient feeling to it. Sometimes I add bones. Our life experiences give the depth to our work, a place to go when seeking answers..an intuitive place.

Each of us has our own unique DNA to exhibit. Some can truly reach within, pull it out and thrill the audience (like Mozart, Bach, and countless other masters did/do) while others of us really struggle to display the beauty within. We first sort through the pain and suffering, dissapointment and disillusionment, rejection and etc.. Sometimes we spend our whole lives sorting through this rubble and may never display through our art who we each really are. No matter. It's the effort that deserves recognition.

I have always loved to sculpt the human figure. Laboring over its many complexities through the nights. It took a drawing teacher to open a window and let the sunshine in/out by pointing out the magic of gesture. Now I can actually see why some pieces work and others do not. Just thought I would share my excitment.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Sculptor

Inspiration

Victoria, ClouDreamer, and all - Let me direct you to another thread I started a couple of days ago, “Conceptualization of new work”. Keep posting these ideas here if you prefer, but these thoughts are exactly the reason I started the new thread. I wanted to give people a place to say how they got their inspirations, ... A couple of days ago, someone (and I apologize for not checking who) said his inspirations on form (nonrepresentational) came about 5 - 6 a.m. My ideas frequently come in the dark hours also, but also appear spontaneously when I am working with a model.

Last edited by fritchie : 05-28-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Level 1 user

Conceptualization

Hello Fritchie, and others, This is a very good idea. It will be very interesting to see the feedback...and what an important train of thought for all artists. It's one thing to copy what you see, gestural or not. It is another thing to take it a step further and digest and reprocess, re-interpret. I enjoy this website.Over and out CloudDreamer.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Level 2 user

Movement=fashion?

I don't believe figurative sculpture is dead, but what it has left to say, can only well be said in the private, personal act of the individual viewer and the work.

This provokes thought, but surely it applies to anything labelled as art.
The comments on gesture, stiffness and expression are also interesting. It would seem to be the natural progression of realistic representation. Just as looking at dead people can be boring after a while, so too can looking at rather wooden figurative sculpture. Figurative sculpture is "accessible", most of the folks reading this are people and can relate to human bodies, visual communication hits a wide audience by using a familiar theme. As within each person is the capacity to communicate sensation and experience through body language, so too is the way open to sculptors to communicate raw or subtle emotion through this medium. The punters like it too because they don't need several years of art college to share some of the captured expression.
Logically, figurative sculpture should die around about the same time that we can abandon semiotics. I see this as possible, inasmuch as I can fully communicate with you, dear reader, through this medium of visual symbols.

(I-am-a-comin-redraj!)