Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Level 10 user

Sculptor To Recreate 9th Ward Home In Latex

A memorial to Katrina.

Sculptor To Recreate 9th Ward Home -- In Latex

July 7, 2007, NEW ORLEANS -- A Japanese-born artist from New York is about the only person still trying to keep bulldozers at bay in the Lower 9th Ward.

Takashi Horisaki is trying create a latex duplicate of one of the few homes left in the devastated New Orleans neighborhood.

For weeks, the sculptor .... using latex to adhesive capture the wood grain, nail heads and essence of a debris-pocked, floodline-tattooed structure.

Mary Len Costa, of the Arts Council of New Orleans, said he's capturing the heart, soul and emptiness by taking the skin of a house.

In the growing mound of Katrina-inspired art, from photographs to stage productions, Horisaki's latex house may stand out as a unique contribution to understanding Katrina.

The finished product, made of multiple layers of cheesecloth and latex, will include exterior walls, parts of the roof, the cypress shotgun home's hauntingly broken porch and interior space.

The work will be exhibited at the end of July in the Socrates Sculpture Park, a riverside park atop an old landfill in Queens.

The park gave Horisaki a $5,000 grant for the project.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Sculptor

Re: Sculptor To Recreate 9th Ward Home In Latex

This was in the local papers, of course. I think I've seen two photo articles; one when he had started, and one much further along. I don't care much for environmental art of that sort, so I have little personal interest.

On another point though, today's local Sunday paper listed about 30 books, either first runs or modifications (updates) of earlier ones, giving personal stories about Katrina and the flood. The event certainly has motivated people to get their own views out. In many cases, it's probaby therapy. Quite a few books of K photographs. There's at least one local press that does small runs at not too great a cost, and they regularly publish books of local interest, but I don't really know where the majority of the K books were done.