Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Level 1 user

Human Anatomy Reference figures.

Hello everyone.

I am trying to find some human anatomy reference sculpts (up to 24" tall) to display in my studio. I need a way to show students anatomy in a hands on way when life models are not available or practical.

Something like the Freedom of Teach models ( http://www.freedom-of-teach.com/prod...t_anafig3.html )but with skin on them.

If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Regards.

Larky.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Level 3 user

Re: Human Anatomy Reference figures.

here's a page from sculpt.com. Lots of good stuff there, including a 12" half ecorche that I sell throught them

http://sculpt.com/catalog_98/CLAYTOO...mical_refs.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resin_ecorche2.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2204  
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Level 6 user

you might want to check this site out as well
http://www.anatomyinclay.com/
They don't sell anatomy models, but they do have very detailed hands-on course material for teaching anatomy by sculpting it. And its meant for non-artists as well as artists, so it doesn't take any special sculpting ability.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:23 AM
Level 1 user

Many thanks for the links, much appreciated.

Larky.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Level 10 user

Larky

You might also want to check out

the Chicago anatomical chart company
http://anatomical.com/

they have chart/pictures and models of everything from skeletons and attachments to musculature to skin----

best way to learn is make your own---each bone-each attachment-each muscle-then fat and skin-----once done, the activity will prove a lasting nmonic.

rod
sculptor
Old 10-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Level 2 user

Ok, you are going to think this is an odd request, but I'd like to find some reference pics of people men and women who are "pleasantly plump"? Not morbidly obese, just a bit more substantial than I see in the virtual pose books. I'm working on a piece and I've got the basic musculature, but now I need to see how the fat deposits are located on the body. I can rough it out but it doesn't look right.

Diana
Old 10-08-2005, 08:09 PM

DianaK, couldn't you just hire a model of the body type you want? Even though I normally don't do figurative sculpture, I'm taking a once a week workshop at a local art association to work from a live model in clay. It's fun and there's nothing quite as educational as actual flesh. You can see how it reacts when leaning on a chair or whatnot, something no mannekin of any kind will give you. And the positions a person's body takes have many subtleties that a hard model cannot suggest. The pre-made models are great for understanding proportions and musculature, which are very important, but the final element that makes a figurative piece seem "real" is the behavior of actual warm flesh, muscle and bone.
JAZ
Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ
I'm taking a once a week workshop at a local art association to work from a live model in clay. It's fun and there's nothing quite as educational as actual flesh. You can see how it reacts when leaning on a chair or whatnot, something no mannekin of any kind will give you. And the positions a person's body takes have many subtleties that a hard model cannot suggest. The pre-made models are great for understanding proportions and musculature, which are very important, but the final element that makes a figurative piece seem "real" is the behavior of actual warm flesh, muscle and bone.
I very much agree with your comments about life model session. On the other hand, as it is very slow making clay models at such life sessions, the life model has to keep the same pose for hours (with breaks of course).

I've tried this once using polymer clay. Now I concentrate on doing life drawings which is much faster. The life model can take on different poses every 30 min or an hour. This means the learning about human anatomy can be much faster.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Level 2 user

Red face Re: Human Anatomy Reference figures.

I've thought about live models, but not sure about how to go about it. Not brave enough to ask friends if I can see their fatty deposits. My husband is a runner and he's no help!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:06 PM
ISC Member

Has anyone looked at human anatomy for artists on line?

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 10-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Level 8 user

looks like a great database for refference. however the 27 bucks a month for the pics is a bummer
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Oddist, it seems to be a great site for human anatomy photos. I've bookmarked it.

One possibility for DianaK is to ask a friend to model with his face covered, say by a mask, and take a number of photos from different angles. With face covered, some people may not mind. By the way, when taking photos, suppress the flash.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Sculptor

Diana - I don't know where in Illinois you are, but art schools often will allow serious students access to drawing or sculpting classes on a special basis. Alternatively, it can be common for a group of students to hire models on their own for weekly or occasional meetings.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Level 5 user

does anybody know of any anatomy/ecorche classes in the uk?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Level 10 user

There is also the classic Grays Anatomy done in the 19th cent. by Henry Gray F.R.S. and republished recently by TAJ Books as a full sized paper-back. I payed less than $10.

Robert Derr
Old 11-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Level 1 user

We've started manufacturing 23" tall ecorchè antomical figures with a very good price/quality ratio. check them out: www.daniele-tirinnanzi.com/store.php