Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Level 7 user

Dancing Girl, in Black Marbol

CI just recently finished this, using black marbol, mined locally. I am very happy with it, I feel like it is about the best I have done, so far. I often have looking at and also sketched various "dancing figures", but when I was inspired to do this, I was looking at a piece of stone, and a image came into my mind, so I marked the stone, roughly, and as soon as I had the chance, started cutting and shapeing. I spent close to a week on it. My boss liked it, so he let me keep working on it until I finished. He now has it in his office.

For a few more views:
http://www.artworkandmexico.com/Danc...ncingGirl.html If anyone is interested.
from Garry
I think I need to edit the images, and make them a little smaller! Sorry, but I will do that ASP.

Last edited by GarryRicketson : 03-31-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dancing Girl, in Black Marbol

A fine piece, Garry. Excellent feeling of movement and balance, and a very fine uniform piece of stone also.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Level 7 user

Thank you, on the stone, yes, I like it, it is really nice tor work with,
Where I work they mined, and cut a few huge "blocks", hoping to cut slabs, and "vener" for tiles, counter tops,etc, however, for that kind of thing it is not very good,, it is hard to get large pieces, that are "uniform". It breaks up to much, however, I have found, if one looks careful, there are lost of smaller "blocks" , or pieces, that can be used and they are solid, uniform, So when ever I get the chance, I try to make something from the best pieces.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Level 7 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryRicketson View Post
CI just recently finished this, using black marbol, mined locally. I am very happy with it, I feel like it is about the best I have done, so far. I often have looking at and also sketched various "dancing figures", but when I was inspired to do this, I was looking at a piece of stone, and a image came into my mind, so I marked the stone, roughly, and as soon as I had the chance, started cutting and shapeing. I spent close to a week on it. My boss liked it, so he let me keep working on it until I finished. He now has it in his office.

For a few more views:
For More images If anyone is interested.
I just now updated this, the image URL's were no longer valid.
from Garry
Attn: fritchie, the same in this thread, if you can remove the image URL,in my first post, it is no longer valid.
Also, I never did mention, but when I came here to Clinton, Ok. from Mexico, I brought this figure with me, since my old boss was unable to pay me all of my ultimate weeks wages, he let me take it,..and before I got to Clinton, I stayed in Arlington, Texas with some freinds. I ended up selling it to a gallery in Arlington. So "danceing girl" now lives in Arlington ,Texas.

Last edited by GarryRicketson : 08-19-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Additional comment,
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Level 2 user

Nice effort, it has the same problem I'm having with a work of mine, in that it looks top heavy. I was told mine was top heavy and when I heard it I had to agree, now the question is what's to be done. I hope I'm not sounding negative I don't want to do that.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Level 7 user

I am not sure what you mean, "top heavy", it isn't. But the bottom part of the base, was added, or actually what I mean, is I had glued it to another piece, fairly large, this was to help me be able to work on it, with it standing up, then when it was finished, I reduced the size and shape,of the base, to the rectangular shape, and it is about 5 x 6 in,..
The piece stand well, it dose not fall over easily, it stands very stable, so I wouldn't think of it as "top heavy".
If the piece you are talking about, that you have trouble with, is top heavy and won't stand up well, falls over to easy, that would be a solution, to add a larger base, I can't say much though with out seeing the piece you are talking about.
That is what I would do though, just put it on a bigger base, this would give it more stability.
Dancers often amaze me, with the movements, and at times when they are just on one foot, yes I agree,they also appear "top heavy", but they don't fall over (usually), it is a matter of balance, On this piece, you can push it, pretty far over, either to the front or back,and it still won't fall over, it will straighten back up. side to side, it is even harder to push it over. This is to say, for example if it is on a table, and the table got "bumped" really hard, it won't fall over. You don't sound negative, in relation to your piece, and question;What to do about it ?,..that's pretty easy, just put it on a bigger base.
thank you for the comment
from Garry