Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Big names in contemporary figurative sculpture

My Name................some Day !
Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundrahough
[I am very interested in this request because I am forming a list of "Who,s Who", in practicing Contemporary Sculptors to be used for corporate and private investors. I have enjoyed reading your replies and would appreciate any further information regarding gallery and museum quaility sculptors interested in representation. ... etc. ...
Saundra Hough
MASA
Saundra, your post is polite and I note in your profile you say you are a sculptor, but this post borders on the sort of advertisement we generally don't permit. I'm not removing it, but I'd appreciate your saying something more in this thread about your own work, including a web site and/or images if you have them.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcdawg
My Name................some Day !
Right on! Best of luck!
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Level 1 user

looking for technically competent with the emotional content of rodin - two names: javier marin and gary weisman - two living masters
Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Level 6 user

Ancient bronzes were hollow. The fragments we have to study show this very clearly and the fragments have ragged openings, both due to the ragages of time and by the way they were made. In the last two hundred years there have been more of these bronzes discovered and put on display than there ever have been since it all went underground 1500+ years ago. It would not surprise me if Igor Mitoraj is looking at this.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Level 4 user

ExNihilo.I don't mind .Igor Mitoraj is great modern and reading the ancient bronzes.Arnis
Old 05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Level 8 user

Its a funny thing. I have had people ask me why is it all those greek sculptures were made without arms and missing body parts. I would then have to explain that they werent made that way but it is a result of the dammage that has occured to them over time.The majority of the sculptures having appendages that were very prone to dammage have shaped the way we view sculpture of the past. Its as if 1000 years from now another civilization were to discover ancient fiberglass Ronald McDonald's and think we were a clown worshiping culture. You have to look at things in context and I think that his work (I am glad to have discovered Igor mitoraj through this thread) is a interesting commentary on the effects of time on a work and how our culture of today views the cultures of the past. Also don't forget that alot of these wonderfully gleeming white marbles were painted with pigmented wax. I wonder what the venus demilos was doing with her two hands if she was giving the finger to everyone or hailing a taxi. It also reminds me of the work of someone else whom I forget but did a series of sculptures playing with the idea of lost appendages on the classial greek marbles. He made marble sculptures that imitated the greek style however the subjects were amputees. Maybe it is the same sculptorwho did the woman at trafalgar square I'm not sure. Anyways I'm enjoying all the names that people are coming up with and I have been looking at the work. So please keep them coming I would enjoy hearing other peoples opinions on who is a living master.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Level 4 user

Hi Jamo.I have been herd a similar thing for Coca Cola pray.About the greek sculptures and Mc Donald's clown after 1000 years.The diference is that of the clown will remain only a balloon.The base is important. Yes the greek sculptures was painted.But their torsos are wonderful .Micelangelo said "if you push one statue down the Capitolia Hill and what is remain is quality".Don't underestimate the time like judgement.Arnis
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Level 10 user

I thought I would add one of my professors to the growing list. Leonid Lerman is one of those great figurative artists that has found his delving into abstraction to be a powerful component in giving contemporary meaning to the tradition of figurative sculpture. The links below show the breadth of his abilities and his evolution from a strict traditional to a contemporary/traditional approach.

www.academicart.com/lerman.htm
www.giotto.org/donatello/lerman/
www.giotto.org/donatello/lerman/academic.html
www.logosjournal.com/issue_4.1/lerman.htm
http://www.mckeegallery.com/artists/...erman_img.html

My earliest experience with him was in our first semester drawing class. His eye is ruthless in finding the weaknesses of your work. The outcome is a much better drawing in the short term and a better understanding of internal form in the long term.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Sculptor

Thanks, Jason. He's done quite a variety of work. Regardless of one's view of the place of realism in today's world, his work shows one way of accepting a degree of change.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Level 10 user

you know i am just glad that this stuff exists
thank you all for the great info
tobias
Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Level 4 user

Because we speak for our professors. I think that one of mine gave me a lot. He is a sculptor and an architect teaching in this both academies. His training was even rougher. He encouraged us to leave if we did not succeed in learning. By that time I was completely finished as a figurative sculptor. But in his class I learned much more. I checked Leonid Lerman and he is good figurative trained. But I didn't see any relation between his previos figurative works and his contemporaly sculptures. That is a pity. My mentor told me how to do that. It doesn't matter what you do figurative or abstract, contceptual art.You should ask yourself: What I do that for? What I want to say? What is the genesis of the shape? How can I conduct and move the parts? Due to very poor result in Internet search "Kroum Damianov" I can provide only few attached files of his works. Arnis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KrumDamianov8.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	3149  Click image for larger version

Name:	1KrumDamianov6.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	3150  Click image for larger version

Name:	1KrumDamianov7.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	3151  Click image for larger version

Name:	1KrumDamianovSumen 018.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	3152  Click image for larger version

Name:	1KrumDamianovSumen 019.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	3153  

Last edited by Arnis : 05-26-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Level 4 user

More pictures at his works.Arnis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1KrumDamianovSumen 022.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	3154  Click image for larger version

Name:	KrumDamianov.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	3155  Click image for larger version

Name:	1KrumDamianovSeul1987.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	3156  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp KroumDamianov.bmp (25.1 KB, 341 views)
Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Level 1 user

I would suggest to check out Denise Dutton’s work, http://www.sculptureconsultants.co.uk/denise_dutton.htm

enjoy
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Level 8 user

I'm not addressing the question of big names - but here's my collection, to date, of my favorite sculptors (under the age of 65):

http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...newcentury.htm

It's a miserably small collection -- since finding these people is such a hit-or-miss affair -- and hopefully, when I go through this thread more carefully, I'll find some new names to add.

One thing to remember is that there is plenty to be found outside the U.S. -- especially in Russia and the former Soviet republics.

Here's an interesting Russian site that I just found. There's over 300 items -- in no particular order -- and many of them look terrible (to me) -- but some of them are successful sculptors -- and some of them I really enjoy.

http://www.artrussian.com/museum/par...s/page255.html
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Level 8 user

Here's a critical review of some of some big names (McDonald, Goodacre, etc) by that young curmudgeon, Miles Mathis:

http://www.geocities.com/milesmathis/nielsen.html

I don't agree with about half of what he's written -- but I do appreciate a review that's based on emotion -- and an attempt to elaborate on that emotion -- rather than a discussion of what is -- or is not -- contemporary.

My sense is that Miles has not spent enough time with the great sculpture of the world -- and I'm also not sure that there's any point in writing about the work of a good friend -- since that relationship is going to trump any relationship with their sculpture.

But figure sculpture should be talked about more often -- just like everyone likes to talk about movies.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountshang
Here's a critical review of some of some big names (McDonald, Goodacre, etc) by that young curmudgeon, Miles Mathis:

http://www.geocities.com/milesmathis/nielsen.html

I don't agree with about half of what he's written -- but I do appreciate a review that's based on emotion -- and an attempt to elaborate on that emotion -- rather than a discussion of what is -- or is not -- contemporary.

My sense is that Miles has not spent enough time with the great sculpture of the world -- and I'm also not sure that there's any point in writing about the work of a good friend -- since that relationship is going to trump any relationship with their sculpture.

But figure sculpture should be talked about more often -- just like everyone likes to talk about movies.
Hi .He is ridgt for every thing.A good job.Arnis
Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

At the top of my list of the top ten best contemporary figurative sculptors I too would include Ed Hlavka and along with him, Bruce Wolfe. They both sculpt incredibly natural and expressive figures and portraits.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berinje'
At the top of my list of the top ten best contemporary figurative sculptors I too would include Ed Hlavka and along with him, Bruce Wolfe. They both sculpt incredibly natural and expressive figures and portraits.
Hi Berinje.You have a great tast.The first one Ed Hlavka makes babies and grannies.The second one Bruce Wolfe makes saints and naked chicks.Ha-ha-ha .Arnis
Old 07-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Level 4 user

Old 07-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

Ah, Arnis, but have you really studied Ed's grannies and babies, and Bruce's saints and naked chicks? Impeccable! Actually, Ed sculpts amazing classical full-figure portraits, the best I've seen, as does Bruce. But more importantly their figures exude such a natural ease and flow--with each new sculpture I strive toward their high marks--and they are also exquisitely proportioned as well as expressive. Sorry, but for classical realism, and especially for portrait figures, I don't think it gets much better than these two sculptors, these days.

Last edited by Berinje' : 07-29-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Level 4 user

Hi Paula.I checked you also.I desided no to be so rude.It is your choose and your call.Anyway you obviously make earning out of that.I do not.It is not for me .I prefer mor classical aproach.Good luck .Arnis
Old 08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Level 5 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
I have made good this promise and now an associate teaches this method in Nice France.
Blake
any more info on this school/course please? website or contact details?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Level 5 user

Hi,
Check out http://www.jayhallcarpenter.com/index.htm
J
Old 08-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Level 1 user

Oh MY GOD!!! How can anyone say that figurative art is dead or that they can't think of any contemporary figurative sculptors?!?!!??!! AHHH!!!
Kiki Smith
Doug Jeck
Akio Takamori
Tom Bartel
Arthur Gonsalez
Katy Rush
Manuel Neri
George Segal
Justin Novack
Issac Isopov
Nan Smith
Marc Burns
Crystal Boger
Adrian Arleo
just a few faves I can ramble off the top of my head
I would recommend looking at ceramics, there is a ton of figurative work in clay, look at Robert Arneson, his figures are amazing!

you could even argue Mathew Barney, Tom Friedman, Janine Antoni, Kara Walker, Do Ho Su, Jeff Koons all use figures, or figurative elements in their work, although I wouldn't call them figurative artists, atleast not exclusively. Looking at classical work, as well as not sculptural work, is great and very insightful but there is a lot of figurative work out there