Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
ISC Member

Re: How important is drawing for sculptors?

Hi oddist, Love those 2 web sites.
I think that coloring books are bad for kids so when my 2 girls were young, I would give them reams of paper and paint and the results were amazing.
The best draftsmen are constantly looking back and forth between the model and their drawing, the worst, hardly look at the model at all, and just ASSUME that they know what they're drawing, that's EGO for you!
Have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Level 10 user

At 5' 2'' and 112 pounds I am a bad man,all ego to boot.But seriously,yall have missed my point.Oddist brought up a great point about David Smith,I actually use this method myself a lot after beeing influenced by his work.I also think you guys are missing my point.Drawing is a great tool,but you do not have to follow a pre drawn image to sculpt something.Of course commision work,large and small,needs to be drawn out,but to sujest art is not "Worthy" of being visual good because it is not drawn,or an artist does not have wonderful life drawing skills is ignorant.Of course I understand the importance of drawing,but not everybody has to do it.Ego has nothing to do with it.Are art school had no money,so we learned to build out of scrap,work material for it's properties at hand.David smith was a huge influence on us.It is more about building with passion,fly by the pants engineering,and materials at hand.Hey iron man I am like you,but instead of moving from NY I moved to the Appalachian mountains after being in art complex's around artist for years.I found this site and got all fired up ,and thought I would learn,listen and share.Hey I am no better then anybody,expesially after reading about Albert Paley in Craft magazine,but I am full of energy,information,and probally a little ego to boot.Hell, I would have been drownded in the art sceen a long time ago if I did not believe in myself and work.Before this post blows I will offer a peace offering,as my toothless redneck niegbor used to say as he smiled"who love ya baby"..........Eric
Old 06-08-2005, 09:53 AM
ISC Member

Hi Eric/Ironant, First of all, David Smith has been a HUGE influence on me and also on most metal sculptors that I know. I have seen a lot of his work and own 5 books about his life and work. The best is "David Smith by David Smith", it has photo's of his work but the best part is, all the writing is by him in his own words.
I am not suggesting that a sculpture has to be drawn first, to be as you put it "worthy" or that an artist needs to have "wonderful life drawing skills". What I am saying is that an artist needs many hours of life drawing so that they learn how to SEE as an artist.
I too, do Found Object work from time to time and enjoy doing it. One thing though about F/O work is that it woo's you (charms you) into thinking you're a better sculptor than you are.
I think that it's easier to do, and at some point an artist has to move beyond F/O work and create work that is more conceptual in nature. There has to be an idea behind it, it has to be well thought out, designed (I hate that word) and well crafted. I'm not suggesting that one should slavishly copy ones drawings into 3D as I think that would destroy the creative process but that one should use drawings as a starting point, or more, but leave things open to fresh insights and change. Besides, things change when you go from a drawing to a sculpture.
This is a philosophical discussion, not an argument, so although I sincerely and humbly accept your peace offering, from my point of view, it didn't need to be made.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 06-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

Okay jeff I see your point and I did not really think it was an argument,just good debate of different approach.I am going to post a few commissions that I did draw ,or scribble might be a better word,before I got the jobs.The gate is 14'x7.5' the awnig is 14'x10' and the wall is 10/xx5.5'.Took me a year to build three pieces because I work by myself.My wife was ribbing me ,and said I should call myself ego ant,but the funny thing I really do not have much of an ego,just a charged up little dude with a lot of spirit.Art is life,it's a wonderfull thing.............IA p.s. the awning is shown with primmer before I painted it.the top is fabricated 16 gauge to cut down wieght, so I had to fabricate a skeleten for the inside to keep it from warping all over the place....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	veronicas gate.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1777  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0039.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1778  
Attached Images

Last edited by iron ant : 06-08-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
ISC Member

Hi, I'm looking forward to pix of the gate, awning and wall.
As far as the ego thing goes, most sincere, dedicated and hard working artists that I know are humble people (almost to a fault). The few artists that I know with big egos are "legends in their own minds" , as the saying goes and usually their work isn't that good anyway.
An artist does need to fiercely believe in themself and what they're doing but I think that's more about individuality, independence and the validity of their own creativity and not about ego. All that and at the same time be open to changing and learning which is something an egomaniac can't do.
have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 06-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

your preaching to the choir as they say down south,I agree we have to always keep an open mind and try new things and approaches to are art.....Eric