Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Level 10 user

Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer sculpts

Hey Guys, these are the pieces I just finished up this week. They are sculpts of the two main characters from Joss Whedon's "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog". If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out, you can get it on I-Tunes.
The two characters are Dr. Horrible (aka Neil Patrick Harris) and Captain Hammer (aka Nathan Fillion). They are 1/6 scale, originally sculpted in Super Sculpey and then molded and cast in wax for the final detailing. These pictures are of the grey wax I used. The bases will be changed, I decided I wanted bigger bases (both width and hight) so that the names can be put on the front edge of them. I hope you like what you see.

Thanks for looking,

Alfred
Old 04-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer sculpts

Alfred,

You seemed destined for the toy/statue market. Not familiar with characters, but understand the concept. I like your attention to detail. The waxes look pretty clean too. Your style is a nice mix of realism and characterization. By way of critique...There might be an issue with the proportion of the biceps to the forearms (it could be that the triceps are a little underrepresented) on Captain Hammer...and personally I would flare the right-hand pants pocket out so the hips look more symmetrical.

Is this where you are wanting to go with your work?...the commercial market? There is certainly a lot of work there. Geographically you're well situated on the West coast.

Michelangelo Buonarroti
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Jason, I'm looking at the commercial side of sculpture as a way to have a day job that pays for my fine art. I really don't want to go back into construction, so I'm looking for anything sculpture related that I could get paid for. I also find the challenge of sculpting smaller and much more detailed, to be quite enjoyable. It's something that I think will really benefit my fine art, because I'm working much faster than I did before (and I was already pretty fast), and I can get detail and a likeness on a small face. This will translate well once I sculpt bigger stuff for my fine art side. I will never stop being a fine art sculptor, the pull to those themes and the works in my head are too strong of a calling for me to ignore. It's just nice trying to find work doing something that I enjoy so much.
By the way, I've been selected as an alternate for the NSS figure sculpting competition this year. I think I'll know for sure by the end of the first week in May. I hope I get a chance to compete. I'm so much faster and accurate now that I really think i stand a good chance at placing high in the rankings.

Cheers!!!

Alfred
Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Level 10 user

Alfred,

I understand your point well. Keeping the lights on is crucial. At times it seems far more important than it should be, but that is the society we've constructed for ourselves. And doing what you love in any capacity beats the alternative.

Good luck with the NSS competition if it goes your way. I hope you get your chance.

Michelangelo Buonarroti