Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Level 8 user

sculpting the world around us

what would your sculpture look like, would you reflect the true world around us or the world that you would hope it to be?

Last edited by mark pilato : 04-28-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Level 10 user

Re: This F-ed up world around us

Both I think, what we wish and what we dream and what really is are all more or less the same in some circular way..

Wishes create dreams, dreams shape reality, reality makes us wish..
Old 04-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Level 10 user

The very nature of sculpting is to create new, an alternate, another view of the world. Unless one makes a reproduction of some existing form I do not see how sculpture can be what is, or more accurately what was. I say "what was" because once the piece in brought into existence it becomes part of the "what is" matrix. By the same definition it can not be "what should be" because it simply,now, is. However it might convey an ideal or image of what could or should be.

My work sitting in the studio is part of what the world currently is. However I executed the pieces to attempt to make a statement that says this is what it could be. So it can't be either/or, like almost everything it is both, what is and what could be. It can never be what was.
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Level 10 user

While the world out there does indeed affect my works profoundly, it being the largest physical mass I can get my hands upon and mine for art fodder, the ant-like triflings that humanity busys itself with constantly are only an amusing or a bothersome distraction. I have been charged by my own consciousness to re-arrange some matter for the duration if this particular forever...and he is a slave driver.

Last edited by evaldart : 04-29-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
ISC Member

Hi evaldart, Very well said!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
I have been charged by my own consciousness to re-arrange some matter for the duration if this particular forever...and he is a slave driver.
Hi evaldart, you sound a little like Mahatma Gandhi> “We must be the change we wish to see in the world”
Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah, except for the fact that Mahatma was altruistic, politically motivated, religious, frail, bespectacled, a wearer or robes and sandals, and led masses of people through missions and tribulations in the interest of world peace - were pretty much the same guy.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Yeah, except for the fact that Mahatma was altruistic, politically motivated, religious, frail, bespectacled, a wearer or robes and sandals, and led masses of people through missions and tribulations in the interest of world peace - were pretty much the same guy.
Ahahaha... LOL! you killed me on this one.

Most interesting sculptures to me reflect both the ugly state we're in and an idealistic absolute that we can sometime touch but never sustain. I try to achieve this, both a comforting feel and at the same time the sweet-sour taste that keeps us alert, that is not "Buy this and you'll be fine"-kind of message. We have enough amusement park artworks ;-)
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Level 4 user

Ghandi was a fabulous mystical leader. He wore no sandals, as his people could not afford them, and his feet were quite calloused. As his people had little food, he became very thin, because if they did not eat, he would not. Also, he had VERY BAD BREATH, as if his people could not have tooth brushes and paste, he would not avail himself of such.

So basically, you could say that Ghandi was a

Supercallousedfragilemysicvexedbyhalitosis. Umdellelibraumbelluliy....

Apologies to Indian Mystics,
frozenimage
Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Level 2 user

I like to think of all art as snap shots. They show us a view, there's always some thing unseen to the eye. Even art thats abstract or just created for it's pure appeal. There's the part we see, and the part that we don't see but our mind knows it's there. I'm big on flow and movement in pieces. Most sculptures don't physically move but you can feel some move or they may stir an emotion. As far as a sculpture of the world we live in, I think it would depend on my mood. The world we live in is complex and yet simple, a paradox. It's funny because depending on your vantage point. The world may be a place of beauty with underlying pain and horror, or an ugly cruel place with underlying warmth and hidden beauty. If you look hard enough the world you wish for may actually already exist. Man I'm talking in circles. I guess this minute/ moment in time I'd be inclined to create a peice that has 2 sides blak and white surrounding a grey region in the middle. I'd go with classic symbols of good and evil, beauty and grace versus ugliness and evil. Imagine a piece with angels wings spread gracefully , but painted black with devious smiles, and weapons in hand. On the other side gargoyles/ demons with compassionate looking faces painted white (no weapons). They would be holding animals and flowers. In the middle grey figures of men and women in a circle. Some with backs turned away. Some facing outwards.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 AM
Level 10 user

The world around us? Perhaps you guys know already. My sculpture exhbition which has just finished is on 'Our World Today'.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Level 10 user

Just a reminder: The world around us is actually quite beautiful. It is the minds, emotions, actions, and consequences of many of its inhabitants that are f-ed up.

So...rather than add any more to the f-ed upness of what is out there, I would sculpt the actual beauty of the world, the seen and the hidden.

Evaldart: Thanks for the great laughter your post generated! Glad I did not have any food in my mouth or I would have done a Jackson Pollack on the conmputer screen.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

Your welcome Glenn. I will continue my efforts in getting you to create abstraction. Could we call it Meatless Splashings and Fruitful Dashings: GlennT, the Projected Abstractions of a Reluctant Non-Objectivity. Can I write your artists statement?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Your welcome Glenn. I will continue my efforts in getting you to create abstraction. Could we call it Meatless Splashings and Fruitful Dashings: GlennT, the Projected Abstractions of a Reluctant Non-Objectivity. Can I write your artists statement?
Mwouahahahha.... killed again. Yeah guys and girls, you definitely bring me joy and laughter in this F-ed up world around us. But beautiful as well as GlennT said.

Presenting only one side is being proselyte / partisan / propagandist, and I'm maybe a bit tired of this. Of course, it's not a rule to all my work, but GlennT, I fear that presenting only the "nice part" is just a poster to hide the cracks in the wall. Sometime you need to see the cracks or even highlight them so that they can be fixed, on the other hand, and De Zengotita would put it: you can't always be focused on this otherwise you'd go nuts.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenimage
Supercallousedfragilemysicvexedbyhalitosis.
frozenimage
excellent
I shared this with my helpers today-------and they darned near burst into song

a happy helper is a motivated and productive helper

thanx
Old 06-08-2007, 10:50 AM
ISC Member

Hi, What makes any of you think that this world has ever been anything but F-ed up. Look around you dude, it's populated by US and we've never been better!
Can you imagine that?
Go get a hug, you need one and someone to tell you that "yes, you're all right", then get into that studio, forget you read any of this shit and make some awesome sculpture.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Level 10 user

Remember, it could be worse:
The world could be teeming with wandering zombies who get in their cars and all make bumper-cars to the mall where there is only rubbish to be purchased and poison food to be eaten. And then they might demolition-derby it back to the slave-ways sometimes pulling-off to drive their stenchmobile past your house, ignoring your life's work displayed so proudly on the lawn as they carry their new rubbish to their lair, plug it in and look into the eyes of their God who might show them, via satellite, some of their future victims. And if somebody does pull into your driveway, perhaps to relinquish trade to you for one of your items, beware and be ready. Because sometimes they look like real people. And remember, zombies only succumb to head shots.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Level 10 user

Sounds like you missed your morning coffee!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 AM
ISC Member

Hi GlennT, Evaldart never sleeps! I think he stays up 24/7 thinking up those great replies. If he doesn't make it as a sculptor, he should become a writer.
Have a great day,
Jeff