Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Level 10 user

Riverwalk Mileage Sculptures

This is a good idea, putting these larger than life profiles at each mile along a riverwalk to denote the mileage. Some images are shown below.

Riverwalk Mileage Sculptures

June 21, 2007, Local artist Jim Collins is now preparing nine sculptures to serve as mileage markers for the Riverwalk along the south shoreline of the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. These larger-than-life sculptures will be installed between the Chickamauga Dam and Ross’s Landing. (pictures below)

They depict the variety of users that take advantage of this public greenway system. Eight of the nine sculptures have been sponsored by private donors .....

Collins explained, “the sculptures, in my typical silhouette form, would be constructed of quarter-inch stainless steel and will be cut out using a laser cutter at Copelands, Inc. of Ooltewah. After fabrication is completed at AES Manufacturer in Chattanooga, the figures will be powder-coated in a colorful baked-on finish at True Coat in Flintstone, Georgia.” ....

All nine sculptures will be installed in mid-September of this year....

Each sculpture represents a single mile in distance. Each of the nine sculptures is a different color.

“We have been looking for just the right way to let bicyclists, joggers, strollers and all other trail users know the correct mileage along this world-class amenity.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 AM
ISC Member

Re: Riverwalk Mileage Sculptures

Geez, couldn't they get brighter, more gutsier colors than that? Purple, orange, lime green, Etc.
Not that s--t brown or that washed out, what is it? teal?
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman
Geez, couldn't they get brighter, more gutsier colors than that? Purple, orange, lime green, Etc.
I showed 3 out of the 9, selected not because of the colors, but their figures and images.

Colors can easily be decided and coated. Here are two more.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Sculptor

I went out of my way on a visit back from NY probably 40 years ago, to revisit Chattanooga, remembering a visit with two aunts and a cousin near my age that had occurred about 15 years before. On the earlier trip, I mostly remembered the Civil War outdoor panarama-esque display nearby, but on my second trip, I was impressed with the river and the effort to renew the mostly industrial riverfront.

Chattanooga was the site of some of the most significant events in the U. S. Civil War because of its strategic location on a major river and the nexus of many crosscountry railroad lines. Like many industrial cities, I'm sure it is struggling to find a new identity and new sources of revenue.

I find these mileposts awkward, but I'm sure the budget is fairly low, and if that's true, I think the sculptor has done a good job. They are stainless steel, and will be powdercoated, so color change will be difficult. Just how subtle are colors available with powdercoating?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Level 10 user

KITSCH
Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Level 10 user

I totally agree with fritchie... but think the colors are obnoxious and should be toned down or eliminated completely. For me they muck up a landscape where I'm sure there is already no shortage of manmade visual distractions present.

They appear more decorative novelty than sculpture to me and as oscar has already pointed out total kitsch. You can drive accross the USA and encounter roadside cutouts for sale everywhere you travel.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Level 9 user

I'm not familiar with the lay out of the Riverwalk there, but I know there are some fairly intricate stainless "cut-outs" of Native Americans playing stickball and 5 or 7 big, colorful, powder coated circles of ancient Indian symbols and a big spider sculpture in the bottem of a fountain. If these new cut-outs are anywhere near the Cherokee artwork they will sure look poorly. Bill Glass and his son Demos and some other Cherokee artists were commissioned a few years ago for the new renovations Chattanooga was making. I got to see the drawings of the sculptures as they were near finishing. The art team hadn't realized they would need bolt covers till it was almost too late. Our foundry was very busy at the time, so I and my "art partner" volunteered to do all the labor of casting a couple hundred bronze bolt covers on our own time. We did it just to help out, and were surprised to find the team included our names as studio artists! They even invited us to a feast of "pig roasted in the ground" to celebrate the completion of the sculptures, and for a viewing before the work was taken to Tennesse. I was too shy at the time to go, somethign I really regret. Now I'll have to go to Tennesse to see the work.

lisa
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Level 10 user

Silhouettes and cut-outs are oft epmloyed methods of figuration yet I believe are not sufficient for sculpture. There is a lost dimension somewhere screaming for attention and yet sadly neglected.
It IS possible to include such within a sculptural composition though, fill the thing out with elements that satisfy the perpindicular viewpoints.
Or maybe of you were to use your cookie-cutter on some 4 inch plate...that would be quite satisfying, the silly image rendered insignificant by all that steel.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Level 10 user

My view is that people find 2D profile cut-outs interesting only if they are large. The larger the better. It does not matter whether or not they are regarded as sculptures.