Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Level 2 user

Re: Let's See Some Work!!!

Here is a portrait I was playing with to try out a new medium. Quarter scale.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Malloy View Post
I keep shrinking and getting a message about my 122KB exceeds the limit of 80KB. I can't figure it out because I made it really small????
Most digital camera's nowadays save pictures at very high pixel resolutions in jpeg or BMP format and each one can be a few megabytes in size. It's not always the dimensional size of the image, but the weight in pixel resolution. if you have any image processing software, photoshop, paintshop, fireworks, (The Gimp is a good free one) or Microsoft Office picture manager open the picture with that and save it out as a Jpeg in 500x400 or so dimension size and you should meet the image upload limit at 80kb. It really is a small cap and I find myself having to resize/crop stuff down a lot too. Jpeg compression is probably best for uploading images as it makes a smaller file size than BMP, Tiff (a "lossless" format) png, etc.. Oddly enough, Microsoft Office picture manager has as good or better compression/resolution specs than Photoshop and it comes with any Office edition..
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Level 10 user

Very nice Pzak. you are certainly more than able handed, and at quarter scale, even. Beware that the hair doesn't overwhelm the portrait - a doo like that is a sculpture on its own.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Level 10 user

I need to get back to this project deadline, but some of these deserve comment:

Dilida: You are doing a good job of getting expression of mood in your work. although I don't have a problem with the patinas, I'm not sure why you don't do them yourself, especially since you can learn them on the job.

Keropian: Really nice expressive portraits. When i have more time I would like to check out your website. I also like the evidence in these two that you don't have a one size fits all formula for the eyes, but are searching for what will best express the character in each piece.

Alfred: That will be a very dynamic piece with the two combined. One thing I noticed, which could just be the particular camera angle, is that on the first image of the lady, her outstretched arm looks like it has been attenuated from stretching, as though it were pilable and consequently got thinner in the forearm to wrist area.

Dondougan: Hey pal, do more torsos !!!!

Pzak: Impressive expression at that scale. Deserves better than blanks for eyes, IMHO.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Level 2 user

evaldart, GlennT - Thank you. I'm not much of an artist (I'm more of a 3D Xerox), which is why I hesitate to post here. I was trying to practice a likeness (don't know if you could tell it was Mel Gibson) and I was trying to see if I could get some fine detail in this material (Castilene). Unfortunately, I am just too heavy handed to achieve fine detail in this material so it was delegated to the re-melt pile. I just stuck the hair on to see how the portrait was coming, and you are correct, evaldart, it is way too unruly. GlennT Ė I had originally intended to paint this piece if it had turned out, so I didnít indicate the eyes. Of course, now that you mentioned it, I think I will do that and just stick him on the shelf. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Level 10 user

It DID occur to me that it was Mel Gibson, but in case it wasn't I didn't want to taint any others perceptions. And you're not exaggerating at all, he did carry one HELLUVA mullet at one point. Great Job. I bet alot of your "heavy handedness" (dont look so heavy at all to me) could be addressed simply by working larger and giving yourself more room for smaller detail. Beware the paint job, it can damage the likeness, especially of you're going for realistic variances (hair, skin, eyes).
Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Level 8 user

thanks Merlion, I do have the images downloaded to my desktop and browse attatchments and select them trying to post them. but then the ISC requirements are that it is always too large.
PHP Code:
[php][code][/code
[/php]
Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Level 2 user

The blank eye sockets are where glass eyes will go when they're done. The last one is in progress and is a koi like fish with two sets of wings.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Level 10 user

Pzak, I too though it looked like Mel (cica BraveHeart era). Good job for such a small scale.

I've mentioned before in other threads that I'm violently opposed to realistic patinas in traditional sculpture, but for commercial type work - characters, superheros, models, ect - I think they can be quite effective. However, the work takes on a feel of a collectible or toy, instead of a work of art. There are few who can do it really well, those that come to mind are the guys at SideShow Collectibles and the guys over at Gentle Giant Studios. These guys take collectibles one step further and the paint jobs themselves are almost a work of art.

If the paint job doesn't work out, you can always spray it some some grey primer and it will look like the model again.

Good Job!!

Alfred
Old 12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Level 2 user

Alfred - Thank you.

Actually, I do some commercial freelance work for this type companies and that was exactly the end goal for this type piece. I enjoy this kind of work, but I've been finding lately a strong desire to sculpt my own vision rather than other peoples.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Level 1 user

Wow, i feel so inspired by all of the pics here.

It makes we want to try to make something more demanding, i am planning on making some big concrete sculptures for the first time, very soon. What i have seen here have compelled me to do my best on them. Thank YOU.

Here is my latest clay creation. Anyway, it is my new Cthulhu idol. Its nothing in terms of craftmanship. But it was finished under the bloodmoon of Nov 25.

The eyes are marble i carved out of a mountain in Norway or Sweden when i was a kid. The fingernails are shattered shark teeth, the thumb nails and the toe nails are cat claws. The shoulders are nutshells and the idol has a stone foot with a carving on the side.

There are plenty pics of it here on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15946756@N03/

I am going to work on the level of crafting involved in my stuff.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Level 3 user

Currently they're not commission pieces, just making the mainly for fun. I am adding a body in full WWII regalia to the Vic Morrow Sculpture and may do the same to Sun Lu Tang.

MK
Old 12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Level 10 user

Pzak, I know what you mean. I have some friends who are in the commercial field and all of them are wanting to do their own thing. Onthe oter hand, I'm looking for freelance work and can't find it. It's funny how things work out.

Madguten, welcome aboard. I'm glad you decided to post pictures. I read in another thread that you felt out of your league, but this is a community where beginers are welcome and encouraged. However, be prepared for harsh crits if you ask for them (and sometimes even if you don't), I feel that harsh but honest crits are better than pandering fluff, and if people are just being mean with no intention of being constructive, don't get discouraged. Good Luck and I hope to see more work form you in the future.

Alfred
Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Sculptor

Madguten - I was away yersteday, so I just saw these pics. I had encouraged you to post, and I do like these. They're more in the vein of animation or movie art than general public sculpture, but we have many very good people here showing that sort of work, so your pieces fit right in. Thanks for showing.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
be prepared for harsh crits if you ask for them (and sometimes even if you don't), I feel that harsh but honest crits are better than pandering fluff, and if people are just being mean with no intention of being constructive, don't get discouraged. Good Luck and I hope to see more work form you in the future.
I agree, honest criticism is the best kind. And thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
They're more in the vein of animation or movie art than general public sculpture, but we have many very good people here showing that sort of work, so your pieces fit right in. Thanks for showing.
Thank you.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Level 10 user

[quote=dondougan;49486]It is only the second torso I have carved in stone in thirty-odd years of working stone.

Really sharp work folks,and Don ,it is nice you have kept your"section" look eventhough you are doing a figure.You have had a consistant piece together look it seems ,since I have known of you,I guess since sculpture for the blind shows with Barbra in the late 80's warly 90's.This piece attached might be to fishy for most of you guys,but the client wanted a bass in this extra large fire screen I forged,not the norm for me but I enjoyed making it...IA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish screen detail.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	7471  Click image for larger version

Name:	fish screen with stainless screen.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	7472  
Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Level 1 user

Those figure/statues you guys have made look so good, they look more human and more realistic than the figures at most wax-houses. Its wild. Kudos.

That fish firescreen looks awesome. I bet its gonna look wild when it is in use.

so very, very interesting workings you have all made. I love it.

Pure inspiration, i want to learn!

(sorry if this got posted twice, my winblows98 is messing up again.)
Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Level 1 user

The female figure im getting ready to ship off to the foundry, unfortunetly all the others dont exist... when i left school i tore them down 4 clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port4.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7503  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7504  Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	7505  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	7506  Click image for larger version

Name:	port5.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	7507  

Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Sculptor

Welcome, and thanks for the images, CPK. This is your first message I saw, though you also may have posted in the Welcome Center, as I see you have several posts. That female looks a little ragged around the edges to me, though the effect may be only in the photograph.

I think you made the best choice, but I'm not sure I would have spent the money, except as a personal momento. You may be developing a rather loose style, also, and my own goal is more realism.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Level 2 user

Nice work CPK. I really like the first portrait. There seems to be a lot of character behind him. I also like the balance of the female.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Level 10 user

Looks good!! Is that paper clay? It looks like some of the pieces I've been experimenting with. Either way, I like the overall effect. I (like Fritchie) tend to lean to more realism, but I still appreciate a loose style when it's done well. I think you're sculpts fall under that catagory.

Good Job, Thanks for sharring,

Alfred
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
That female looks a little ragged around the edges to me, though the effect may be only in the photograph.
You may be developing a rather loose style, also, and my own goal is more realism.
I do wish the photo was a bit better so u really could c the texture, i do prefer as well as enjoy a rough aesthetic it pleases my eye .. after all you cant Polish a turd.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Is that paper clay?

Alfred
Paper clay? not familiar with that, its just run of the mill Plasticine. Thanks for the comments though.

Last edited by circle pine kid : 12-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Level 10 user

Here's a link to their site. I purchased about ten packages through their wholesale link. It cost about half the price of the retail and all you need to do is buy more than $50.00 worth. It's an interesting material, I'm learning all kinds of ways to work with it. At first it was like scuplting with bread dough, but I'm getting the hang of it now. It's best for smaller sized work, but you can build a good sized armature and cover it with alluminum foil to bulk it out and then add the paper clay if you wanted to make larger pieces.

http://www.paperclay.com/product.htm

Alfred
Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Level 1 user

sounds interesting, I'm always up to try new things.. thanks for the info