Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Level 10 user

Re: David

update. It wont look like much yet. The usual state of chaos had my giant killer's axial region arriving. progress is slow as of yet, squashed by the snow as its more effort to retrieve a given piece of junk than it is to art-affect it.

I put my weight room in because it refers to that tender area of tool (body) maintenance/abuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	david wip.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	10130  Click image for larger version

Name:	david wip2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	10131  Click image for larger version

Name:	wt set.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	10132  
Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Level 10 user

The most notable thing is the light in the center pictureÖitís good to see it even ifín itís too cold to work out in it
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Level 10 user

Progress report:
Axial region settled, tacked into place.
legs attached but not yet committed (as there will likely be a goliath head under one foot).
hes about ten feet now, six hundred lbs. MUCH more to go, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	david feb.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	10159  Click image for larger version

Name:	david feb2.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	10160  Click image for larger version

Name:	david feb3.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	10161  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Level 10 user

Well it looks like he's off to a very good start. I was looking at the second picture and his shins look like they have Chinese writing on them or maybe they're just scraped up a lot (I can't tell).. Anyway, it reminded me that one of my favorite Chinese restaurants just shut down and the old man cook is out of work I guess.. He must be around 65 and nice as all hell with his permanent smile and broken English. I had to go to another Chinese restaurant to take my brother out for his birthday and I was a bit broken up about it. The little guy in a small business is a good modern metaphor for a David, maybe if you have an old cast iron grill from a Volcano platter or something like it hanging around the old bone yard you could throw it in someplace for the old man..
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Level 10 user

I'm not sure about the anatomy, though.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I'm not sure about the anatomy, though
That is cruel--LMAO!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Level 10 user

Yeah, the pelvis says 59 olds while the thorax reads Studebaker. I'll have to address that fer sure.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Yeah, the pelvis says 59 olds while the thorax reads Studebaker. I'll have to address that fer sure.
Wow! It's a matter of interpretation. For me, the whole thing reads, "evaldart has gone mad while trapped in a Jawa sandcrawler."
Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Level 10 user

It's the lack of ears that bothers me. Or are they just very small?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Level 10 user

or is it the lack of head and neck and arms? In that case, yes, the ears are so small as to seem invisible or non-existant, a mere shadow of things to come.

Last edited by grommet : 02-17-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: like a sneeze, I feel a bout of sarcasm coming on
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Level 10 user

What is wrong with you people??? You are missing the essential feature--he's been castrated!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Level 10 user

aw c'mon, you can SEE it's cold out.
E, say it ain't so. A few warm beverages and he'll be good as new.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Level 10 user

hydraulics?
or shock absorbers?

if the former
r.o.m.?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Level 10 user

Hydraulics of course. Many more to come...up to 2" pistons. Thats when the weight starts jumping.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Hydraulics of course. Many more to come...up to 2" pistons. Thats when the weight starts jumping.
OK then,
Range Of Motion(r.o.m.)
and counterbalancing
"...weight starts jumping."----metaphor?

will this madness inevitably lead to a moving creaking scary monster of a "shepherd"
who, before he took on Goliath had mastered the sling, and slain a lion which was harassing his flock
"little shepherd boy" my ass,
this dude was a stone cold killer

Last edited by sculptor : 02-17-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Level 10 user

Well, I'l use and abuse and bend and twist and re-write any David backstory available...but in the end it just has to show up ready to kick ass as Art.
It wont move, that leads to spectacle. Besides, it MY job to do the moving.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Level 10 user

Tell me more about the 'backstory', Evaldart.

I like the interest you have in industrial landscapes, and all that steel. Is this part of all that?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portoro View Post
Tell me more about the 'backstory', Evaldart.

I like the interest you have in industrial landscapes, and all that steel. Is this part of all that?

The industrial landscape has been my candystore for twenty years. And as the most important relationship in any sculptors life MUST be that relationship with materials and process, I have become essentially "related" to that place where my stuff comes from. While it is quite enough to just have the piles, pull from them and assemble, it can be amusing to originate or spark the act with tall-tales and observations of ordinary madness. As a finished thing, the Art shouldn't care how it began...the narrative becoming just another motivational apparatus, like a cup of coffee or vengeance.

Last edited by evaldart : 02-18-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Level 10 user

while a cup of coffee can certaily be consumed with vengeance, it goes much better with doughnuts, or even an empanada (tall and tan and long and lovely?) However, should you still choose vengeance, it may upset your stomach (all that acid) so you'll definitely want a couple of those fruity Tums. You might be able to fake it with a lifesaver, but is that really how you want to start a sculpture, by faking it?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
And as the most important relationship in any sculptors life MUST be that relationship with materials and process,
Well, this erradict emphatic dogmatic compells me to get serious for a moment, since I represent a subset of "any sculptors", and I don't like being told a MUST that contradicts what I am about.

Although I would not impose this on others, I believe that the most important relationship in a sculptor's life is their relationship with God, from which all other things follow. Second would be their relationship with their inner vision, thirdly would be their relationship with their fellow men and women, and then maybe comes material and process, if I didn't leave out something else that is more important. Materials and process are a means to an end. It is how one determines what that end should be that makes all those other relationships so vital and meaningful.

Last edited by GlennT : 02-18-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Grommet caught my speeling eror. Footnote removed as it apparently only served as an needless distraction away from the point
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

I think the most important relationship I have is with 3M.. They own every damn thing I need starting with filters and abrasives and rock dust goes everywhere so filtration is the foundation of everything else.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, 3M to the rescue.

They have the perfect business model, they help you make a mess and then they help you clean it up. Pure genius..
Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Well, this irradict emphatic dogmatic compells me to get serious for a moment, since I represent a subset of "any sculptors", and I don't like being told a MUST that contradicts what I am about.

Although I would not impose this on others, I believe that the most important relationship in a sculptor's life is their relationship with God *, from which all other things follow. Second would be their relationship with their inner vision, thirdly would be their relationship with their fellow men and women, and then maybe comes material and process, if I didn't leave out something else that is more important. Materials and process are a means to an end. It is how one determines what that end should be that makes all those other relationships so vital and meaningful.

* for the non-believer, substitute the words " life" or "the universe" or "something bigger than me" or "the cause behind the effect of things" here.
Glenn, of course I have no desire to MAKE you assume my priorities. But for the sake of emphasis the word "must" always lures dialogue. And we all here shouldn't be so easily led by that limbless grey conniver hiding behind the eyes. Our developed "sensibilities" are often of another opinion. Pay attention to those pangs/pains once in a while and you'll note quite another hierarchy of pertinences.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Well, this irradict emphatic dogmatic compells...
While attempting to figure out what this was actually supposed to mean, I came across this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erratic_ant which I thought made more sense and seemed incredibly wise on the ant's part. in this case, the subject is something smaller than myself, which none-the-less leaves me breathless. If you're waiting for something larger than yourself to capture your attention, you may be missing a lot or looking like King Kong to those around you. Hopefully you smell better.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
* for the non-believer, substitute the words " life" or "the universe" or "something bigger than me" or "the cause behind the effect of things" here.
alternately(an old steam locomotive analogy)
"The great driving wheel of the universe" and/or multiverses
"the organizational imperative"
"the undefinable"
unities of dichotomies

I know not of the entirety of "GOD" and maybe even less of my aesthetic imperative.

much is drawn from perception
conception is derived from perception enhances conception broadens perception
inspirations from epiphanies from low blood pressure and unfortunate cranial encounters with brick-bats
imagination to formulation
design is a process that morphs to accommodate the physical limitations of the material and the artist guided by an over-riding aesthetic

if your only tool is a welding torch
good luck with the woodworking thing
Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Level 10 user

do we need to be told what to believe in?
seems the more iam told the less i believe,so down the rabbit hole we go.
now wheres that Easter bunny.

dont let David step on your toe E.