Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Big names in contemporary figurative sculpture

Did anyone mention Glynn Williams?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Level 4 user

I am happy to see that someone made a list (slivings) of ceramic figurative artists. Jeck is an interesting creature to communicate with and once placed an emphasis on antiquity; I nearly chose to do my MFA with him. Boger is a wonderful person and creator; I knew her at Indiana University. There are 3 or 4 good books out there that are more or less a compilation of ceramic (contemporary) figures....but....the vast majority of the work seems garish, tacky, and utterly lacking in an understanding of anatomy or sculpture.

I do not wish to be redundant b/c I just rambled about The Florence Academy of Art in another thread (fig. workshops), but you might check out the sculpture being produced there...they have an alumni gallery online and a show every year (http://www.florenceacademyofart.com). I suggest you view Lotta Blokker's work (also found here: http://www.wildevuur.nl/).
Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Level 1 user

www.steveyeates.co.uk
Old 09-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Level 10 user

Good misty morning from Pennsylvania

I haven't read thru all previous posts, but did anyone mention British sculptor Sean Henry?

You can see his work at www.seanhenry.com

Terrific stuff!

Lou
Old 09-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Level 4 user

Tiouis.You are in mistake man.The guy is great .But he is conceptual artist not figurative one.Anyway.I like his approach,so social and great ideas also.Arnis
Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Level 10 user

Question Re: Big names in contemporary figurative sculpture

Hello Arnis

Sean Henry NOT figurative? Then what would you call all those figures of men and women in his work? Abstractions???

Why not post some of your work on this site. I cannot access your home page. Very curious to see your approach.

Is your name french?

Lou
Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Level 4 user

Hi, man. Sean is really a very good artist. It's just that the idea is leading in this case. For this type of art, you can cast any lifebody or from old originals.The stress is not on the figure itself. He didn't impress me with his ability to make figures. They are toys like. But it's good for the conceptual purpose - the environment they're placed in.
There is a link to one gallery with my works. I also send attached files. If you want to see my approach. Let me see yours also. The sculptures are in plaster. I know that you like the material. With best regards, Arnis. By the way, the link is disabled. I have to make a new one. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MaleFemale01.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	4066  Click image for larger version

Name:	bull01-mod.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	4067  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cesar01-mod.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	4068  Click image for larger version

Name:	horse02-mod.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	4069  Click image for larger version

Name:	Draw5.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	4070  

Last edited by Arnis : 09-24-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Level 1 user

Some of my favorites not yet mentioned:
Hanneke Beaumont
Jaume Plensa
Penelope Jencks
Sean Henry

Look at the Forum Gallery website (NY and LA based gallery). THey specialize in alot of contemporary figurative. You can sign up for a newsletter alerting you to new exhbitions.

For more classical style, look at the National Sculpture Society site, or their magazine, Sculpture Review. I find their offerings mixed, some technically accomplished but not emotionally very interesting, but some work is quite exciting, and many of the best known figurative sculptors working today in a classical style are elected Fellows of the Society.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Level 10 user

Question Re: Big names in contemporary figurative sculpture

Hi Arnis

Thanks for posting pictures. Your work is very strong. I admire your male and female torsos in first picture.

Don't have the means to upload pictures of my work on this site. You can see my work from a few years ago on WWW.Sculpture.org. Click on list of sculptors, then click on my name Desmarais. Tell me what you think.

Do you know the work of french sculptor Jean Ipousteguy? I think he is one of the very few GREAT sculptors of the 20/21st century.

Regards, Lou

Last edited by Tlouis : 09-26-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Level 4 user

Hi Lou.I checked your works at Sculpture.org.Very good especially The Ancestor. Really a strong portrait.I know Ipousteguy he is a great sculptor.Your female torso have similar style.This is how we have to us the figurative sculpture.I send to you some of my works that are base at figures, but with diferent approach.With best regards .Arnis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MorfJPG.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	4127  Click image for larger version

Name:	BronzeHeart02.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	4128  Click image for larger version

Name:	BronzeWarriorBonesJPG.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	4129  
Old 11-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Level 8 user

Here's another name to add to the list: Imre Varga -- who was given his own museum in Budapest (not many living sculptors have been honored in this way -- the only one I can think of was Szukalski -- back in the thirties when Poland made a museum in his honor -- just in time for it to get leveled by a German air raid)

Imre Varga is over 80 by now -- and has done, apparently, hundreds of pieces around Europe - including monuments to Bartok and Wallenburg -- but even though he has a museum -- he doesn't have a web site.

Here's a few pictures I could find:

http://www.mvdaily.com/articles/2004/12/bartok1.htm

http://www.brianmicklethwait.com/ind...nsington_tube/

-- and this monument to prostitutes:

http://audrainbudapest.blogspot.com/...t_archive.html
Old 11-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Level 4 user

Hi .She isn't good enough.There isn't body nor figure only dress.Rodin wten he modelling Balzak .He made a figure first and then covered with clothes.Whit best regards Arnis.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Level 8 user

I didn't care for the "Prostitutes" -- but the photo could have been better --and I really like what I saw of the monument to Bartok -- whether the sculpture modeling the figure nude before dressing it -- or not.

BTW -- I'm aware that some sculptors in history modeled figures nude before adding the clothing -- and that's the recommended procedure for modern academics -- but I don't think there's any evidence that this was ever done in European sculpture before 1500 -- or in Asian-African-or South American sculpture prior to 1900. And is there even any record of it happening during the Renaissance and especially the Baroque period ?

I'm curious --- just what is the total historical record for this procedure ?

(and BTW II -- I think the subject of this thread is "Big names" -- not "good sculptors" -- and Imre Varga does have a substantial reputation and body of work)

(and BTW III -- for what it's worth, Imre is a guy)
Old 11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Level 4 user

I agree with you that there isn,t too many sculptors, doing body first after that clothes. But it is always necessary.You to put some content in your figure.Like geometric ,monumental exaggerate ,architectonic way ,some idea,negative-positive.Why you just not make a portrait .This full size figure is jast like that average portrait not a monument Bartok.But the commissions are tricky things. The shape is without content.With the "Prostitution" is same. If you know what I mean.About the big names in the contemporary sculpture .I am ready to argue with you. First one big name is necessary at list to be good.Otherwise what we going to study from him.I said that the guy is educated sculptor but not good enough.I know the sculptors from Hungary they are better.Send me more links of Imre Varga.May be those arn't good examples.Whith best regards Arnis.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlouis
Hello Arnis

Sean Henry NOT figurative? Then what would you call all those figures of men and women in his work? Abstractions???

Why not post some of your work on this site. I cannot access your home page. Very curious to see your approach.

Is your name french?

Lou
Hallo Tiouis.I found one sculptor .He is from down -under Australia.Hi is working in same style like Sean Henry but more hyper-realistic.Resently he lives in UK as Sean Henry.Using same resin and rubber stuff.So enjoy.With best regards Arnis.
Ron Mueck check the name in Google there are good pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RonMueck.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	4586  Click image for larger version

Name:	RonMueck3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	4587  Click image for larger version

Name:	RonMueck4.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	4588  Click image for larger version

Name:	RonMueck2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	4590  
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Arnis

Thanks for the Meuck posts. He's an interesting sculptor, very technically skilled, but a little too coldly clinical. I think he could do some terrific work if he went for the big picture instead of nit-picking detail.

Regards, Lou
Old 12-02-2006, 05:47 AM
Level 4 user

Hi Tlouis.Unfortunatly you are right for Meuck.He use to made film sets before.That is why he is so skillful.But you know me .I prefer more classical approach.With best regards Arnis.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Level 1 user

Hi to all,
My name is Georgi Djongarski, Iím 29 y. o. and Iím living currently in Sofia, Bulgaria. I graduated the Bulgarian National Academy of Fine Arts in 2004. My profile is Sculpture and I have a Masterís degree on it. I was also student of prof. Kroum Damianov. Please check out some of my figurative sculpture works, as well as my collegue's Konstantin Achkov ( www.konstant-in.com ).
For more details please visit http://coroflot.com/public/individua...bmitted_action
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jacob_20.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	4637  Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacob_021.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	4638  Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacob_022.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	4639  Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacob_o6.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	4640  Click image for larger version

Name:	1sleeping_Magi.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	4641  

Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by djongarski
Hi to all,
My name is Georgi Djongarski, Iím 29 y. o. and Iím living currently in Sofia, Bulgaria. I graduated the Bulgarian National Academy of Fine Arts in 2004. My profile is Sculpture and I have a Masterís degree on it. I was also student of prof. Kroum Damianov. Please check out some of my figurative sculpture works, as well as my collegue's Konstantin Achkov ( www.konstant-in.com ).
For more details please visit http://coroflot.com/public/individua...bmitted_action
Hi Georgi.I graduated in same studio in the class of prof. Kroum Damianov .It was 10 years ago.He is the best that I know.He teachs in very strong constructive way.Konstantin is friend of mine.He is smart young fellow.I wish you luck.Arnis
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: Big names in contemporary figurative sculpture

zdrawei, mnogo dobre te poznawam. kogato biax plax kandidat student ti zawur6wa6e. az idwax da dosajdam w atelieto, no ti sigurno ne me pomni6. ni6to .mejdu drugoto mnogo pozdrawi ot Kosio
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Level 6 user

Very cool stuff. If you have a chance check out the work of Stephn DeStabler.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:58 AM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: Big names in contemporary figurative sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmustard
Very cool stuff. If you have a chance check out the work of Stephn DeStabler.
thank you very much for the comment. i just saw the Stephen DeStabler's sculptures at www.artnet.com. good work.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by djongarski
thank you very much for the comment. i just saw the Stephen DeStabler's sculptures at www.artnet.com. good work.
Hei momche shegyvash li se.Tozi e gola voda.Istochnika e iasen Peeshtite kolosi . Tova e neshto kato nepravilno prochetena Egipetska klasika.Kolosite sa zdrava arxetektonichna stryktyra,rasablichaneto na nenyshnite detaili ot vremeto gi pravi po konstryktivni.No tam taka ili inache ne se pipa, kontsepsiata za skylptyrata e razlichna.Tozi nai xybavite neshta sa my tezi koito sa vkarani vav blokovete,no dashe ne gi e pyknal kadeto triabva a i triabva da vidi kak se pravi aranshiran egipetski relef.Sas tezi starchashti kraka ot ploskosta e mnogo smeshno.To moshe ama da gi vkara vav nisha,kakto sa go pravili gramotnite xora.Ne se lashi tozi se xlazga po efekta ,formalist.No samo taka tyka obichat da se xvaliat edin dryg taka se podarshat dobrite otnoshenia.Arnis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ShephnDestabler.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	4667  Click image for larger version

Name:	ShephnDestabler1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4668  Click image for larger version

Name:	ShephnDestabler2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	4669  Click image for larger version

Name:	Colossi of Memnon.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	4670  
Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnis
Hei momche shegyvash li se.Tozi e gola voda.Istochnika e iasen Peeshtite kolosi . Tova e neshto kato nepravilno prochetena Egipetska klasika.Kolosite sa zdrava arxetektonichna stryktyra,rasablichaneto na nenyshnite detaili ot vremeto gi pravi po konstryktivni.No tam taka ili inache ne se pipa, kontsepsiata za skylptyrata e razlichna.Tozi nai xybavite neshta sa my tezi koito sa vkarani vav blokovete,no dashe ne gi e pyknal kadeto triabva a i triabva da vidi kak se pravi aranshiran egipetski relef.Sas tezi starchashti kraka ot ploskosta e mnogo smeshno.To moshe ama da gi vkara vav nisha,kakto sa go pravili gramotnite xora.Ne se lashi tozi se xlazga po efekta ,formalist.No samo taka tyka obichat da se xvaliat edin dryg taka se podarshat dobrite otnoshenia.Arnis
zdrasti, prosto se prawia na liubezen! ina4e rabotite sa brutalni. otwrat! tuka mai e pulno s niakakwi liubiteli!? kak mislish?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Level 1 user

sled kato sme zawur6ili edno i su6to atelie bi triabwalo pone da sme se nau4ili da analizirame raboti. taka,4e spokoino! niama nujda da tursi6 primeri, za da dokazwa6 o4ewadni ne6ta. pozdrawi!