Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Level 10 user

cobalt welding rods

I found a box of 1'8 torch welding rods at the scrap yard,the guy that worked there said they were cobalt welding rods that the power company used?Are they used to weld heavy wires,cast iron cases,or what?I can crank my tig down to 50 and weld them together with a stainless rod,I made my buddy a 4''x2'' brush guard for his remote control car.Any advice on what the rods are really for would be helpful........................M3
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
ISC Member

Re: cobalt welding rods

Could be for Hardfacing...

From the article above:

Cobalt base alloys with high proportions of Chromium and Tungsten are often described as the most versatile alloys, capable of resisting abrasion, corrosion, heat, oxidation, impact and wear.

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 07-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron ant
I found a box of 1'8 torch welding rods at the scrap yard,the guy that worked there said they were cobalt welding rods that the power company used?Are they used to weld heavy wires,cast iron cases,or what?I can crank my tig down to 50 and weld them together with a stainless rod,I made my buddy a 4''x2'' brush guard for his remote control car.Any advice on what the rods are really for would be helpful........................M3
Hi i use cobalt chrome to make partial dentures. It is a very stable and biocompatible metal that is abrasion resistant. The only problem is that some cocr has berylium and nickle both of which are very bad for you. As far as welding them together i think that you will need a higher temp than what you would use for stainless. I use a tig at work (on a smaller scale) and the temp and duration are way higher than what i use for stainless. I dont know if this helps but i thought that i should let you know of the possible health risks.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Level 6 user

Just a fair guess but cobalt alloy welding rods have a high percantage chance of being some form of Stellite (6K) which is in the category of "superalloy" and as already stated here is used for hard facing of steel applications. In the sawmill industry Stellite is used for weldable sawteeth on big circle saw blades used in the mills. This is fairly old technology but still good stuff.
Stellite has very high abrasion resistance but will deform easier than tool steels when a side load is applied.

The specific gravity of cobalt is much higher than steels.
In caveman knifemaking terms, this means that a part made from cobalt will weigh more than an equal sized part in any given tool steel.