Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Why Beauty Matters........

I've seen your booty, I'll trade with you.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I've seen your booty, I'll trade with you.
Okay, but it comes with a bum leg. Can yours stand a workout?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Level 10 user

No, too much booty! Scout
Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry Scout, if we're trading in our booty, there's got to be some agility to further plunder.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Level 10 user

I found this quote today, by Eleanor Roosevelt of all people, which I paraphrase:

" Beauty in youth is a product of nature, beauty in old age is a work of art."
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Level 10 user

OK, let's get specific: where's the 'beauty' in this gorgeous little Cubist-inspired piece?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubist thing.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	11883  
Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

The comfortable intimacy of the forms... In which case, it's not beauty, but... a reassuring dispay of safety/ trust.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Level 10 user

Grommet - so sometimes there ISN'T beauty in a work of art? Does that mean you have to set out to ADD it?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portoro View Post
Grommet - so sometimes there ISN'T beauty in a work of art? Does that mean you have to set out to ADD it?
I think we concluded that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not sure who the "you" is that adds it. But certainly either the artist or the viewer could "add" beauty, if that's the best description you can come up with. There is no subtlety in that word, it is the "wax added budget chocolate" of aesthetic description.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
OK, let's get specific: where's the 'beauty' in this gorgeous little Cubist-inspired piece?
No beauty there as far as I can see...but there is indeed plenty of SPLENDOUR. I like that one Cantab.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Level 10 user

It creates a diversion, but beauty as a response would need to be intellectually coaxed, the work does not readily summon such recognition.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

glenn are you saying it needs a good set of jugs then maybe it might be beautiful lol
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:

This is the kind of bait tossed out there to get everyone arguing. Someone thinks it's beautiful someone else doesn't...this doesn't get us anywhere. I really appreciate everyones contribution and for me what I take home from it is that there are many sculptors who think "beauty" as a universal concept (subject to tight definition) does exist.

I think an important change to recognize is that the concept that once was used as a hammer on "modernist" art now is used to support it. Loaded words like "modern" "contemporary" or " beauty" are taking on new meanings. I am happy to be alive at this time where "Art" doesn't have to be "beautiful" or "new"..it can be ugly, meaningless, and a miserable rehashing of dithered bits which worked it's way through the artistic digestive system 300 years ago...and still be great. If it's there it's there....

Cheers,
G
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Level 10 user

Giotto (and Glenn) - I think you are right. I personally have never gone to art for 'beauty', nor do I expect to find it in art.

If we are to find beauty in the little cubist piece (previous post) it may be because we are using the word 'beauty' as a catch-all for how a work may trigger our emotional response to it.

I would also differentiate between this kind of beauty and that other kind, the 'added' stuff - that is, when an artist sets out to appeal specifically to some generic idea of beauty (the elegantly painted landscape; the sleek flowing lines of a female nude) - this is a kind of servility to formulae.

Grommet: beauty in the eye of the beholder? I don't wish to add much to this debate (as I haven't read through this thread at all), but it cannot make complete sense to assert this position. Presumably there is also some beauty in the eye of the artist as well.....

Having said all that, attached see a female nude (also cubist inspired, I’d say). In this work I see beauty, but what makes it art may not be the beauty itself, but the fascinating arrangement of forms and their relationships (and the relation of all this to the work's art context). Beauty, after all, is just out there. It’s hardly uncommon. It’s not something that art need overly concern itself with.

What does interest me, though, is what an artist is doing when he/she is INSPIRED by the beauty they see all aound. What are we doing when we make art on this basis?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webCubist-Torso,60x20.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	11884  

Last edited by Portoro : 01-29-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
What does interest me, though, is what an artist is doing when he/she is INSPIRED by the beauty they see all aound. What are we doing when we make art on this basis?
i think for me what you said hear is a good answer too that.

Quote:
that is, when an artist sets out to appeal specifically to some generic idea of beauty (the elegantly painted landscape; the sleek flowing lines of a female nude) ?
i think another good question is what are we doing when we work from inside ourselves? and make art not inspired by the beauty we see all around us.
but when we work from that un seeble place inside ourselfs.

there is a harder challenge to make something from inside that comes out in a well articulated manner. that is not only pleasing to ourselfs but also elicits a pleasing responce from others. in that they too find beauty or splender in what we have created.

some times they do some times they dont. when they dont who cares beauty is in the eye of the artist the only beholder that should matter to you.

that is if you are happy with it and find it pleasing.

or if it matters to you too have that recognizable thing which at some level we all probably do then keep workin on that formula.
your artistic voice or languge you might hit it just right
Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Level 10 user

You nailed it Chris. The really IMPORTANT, RELEVANT, PERTINENT...ALL THE GOOD STUFF is already inside. Looking outside is easy...its all just sitting there posing as reality like a dumb duck. You must have the nerve to tap into the imprisoned splendour...let it loose...and that takes not just a plain ol' creative impulse...everyone's got that, no that takes NERVE.

Thanks Chris...you really got me thinking with that post.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Level 10 user

Nerve! Yes! Also a boldness. Can those things be inspired in someone?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Level 10 user

Going inside myself I find visions that are far more beautiful than what I usually see looking outside. In fact, I am humbled by the fact that human efforts to communicate such beauty will inevitably fall short and only be able to hint at it.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Going inside myself I find visions that are far more beautiful than what I usually see looking outside. In fact, I am humbled by the fact that human efforts to communicate such beauty will inevitably fall short and only be able to hint at it.
In your humble opinion.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

Glenn, you are lucky! Most people don't see beautiful things when they go inside their heads. Some are scary places to be! Scout
Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Level 10 user

It is a matter of using your consciouness like a radio dial, but also knowing where to tune and not being distracted by the loud and clamouring stuff that wants to keep you tied to less evolved states of awareness. It is not a matter of my being lucky at all. The whole range from lows to highs is available to anyone who makes the effort. The lows are available without effort, the highs require disciplined focus.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Level 10 user

Right on Glenn!!! My dial is well worn. Most people don't know where their dial is located. That means anything can get hold of it and turn you inside out. And they just don't realize what's happening.

I meant that you are lucky to have learned that. Most people never do. I believe you are as happy as you decide to be. Wake in the morning with anticipation and mysteries to solve this day. What could be better than that??? Scout
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Level 10 user

I can appreciate what you both are saying, but this selective dialing necessitates tuning out reality. If you don't work the dial occasionally you're the bastard who doesn't care about anyone but themself.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Level 10 user

Yeah, phoney baloney! You cant cherry-pick your insides and run around brandishing a plastic "beauty" sword and expect to actually feel satisfied or actually en-route to progress. The inside is quite filled with unmentionables, undesirables, fear, unusual appetites and in-applicable motivations. Happy, happiness, joy, angst, and any silly malaise of the "soul"...is all crap. Whats inside of you is the absolutely unique combinations of wonder and thought (hopelessly foriegn to any other perceiver) that mixes to eventually become an experience....and THAT is what goes outside...where it becomes palpable and texturous ans massive. Some of this might be for the ants and might serve that verson of prosperity and some of it will be JUST FOR YOU. When the ants get a load of THAT stuff, well, they might be impressed or not...might be affected or not, might pillage a bit of their OWN insides as a result...or not. Doesnt matter.
Having dug deep, now slightly depleted you rest amongst them, sheltered and fed - doing your part, until its time to dig again...for the GOOD stuff...for crumbs of eternity and rawnesses and ores that give SPLENDOUR without any extraction or polishing...without the application of any damned "beauty".
Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Level 10 user

grommet, that's a little unfair really. My dial is adjustable to many frequencies. I'm saying I can set it for many occasions. I can focus on family and world and on a totally selfish level of art concentration. Zoning out 24/7 is not a good thing but there is a responsibility factor there that you are not giving me credit for. I see being able to focus on what is necessary in my life and the world around me as a virtue. Scout