Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Level 10 user

health reminder

I know welders are made of hardy stuff, but maybe at the end of the day when your hands are shaking and your legs are stiff it's not just the beer and fatigue. The reasons you have ventilation, one more time.
XXOO
Mom
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Level 8 user

Re: health reminder

Hey thanks a lot! I find that whole article to be very interesting. My question is... My respirator works well but will not fit under my welding helmet/mask. I want both at the same time. What can I do?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Level 10 user

I have an adflo helmet that has a waist pack with cartridges & a motor that forces the air through a hose into the helmet. It was used on ebay so reasonable.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I have an adflo helmet that has a waist pack with cartridges & a motor that forces the air through a hose into the helmet. used
just a warning about this type of powered respirator,
ALWAYS check for BIG huntsman spiders in the air hose before wearing!
and if the spider drops down and starts running around your face DON'T hit the faceshield and start squealing like a girl, it just makes em cranky
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Level 10 user

sage advice. (Is it okay that I laughed a little anyway?)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Level 10 user

I've always done the stick-welding outside, use the mig inside with the intert gas. I cant get anything done with a respirator on my face. It feels like that creature from "Alien" the movie...distracting as hell. I'm pretty good with the eye and ear protection but sometimes if I'm in "the zone" I wont search very long for them before getting on with the all-too-vital task at hand.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Level 10 user

I live with my respirator on, taking it off only to sleep, eat and shower. I use the respirator with the swept back cartridges. When my helment goes down it kind of locks onto the cartridges and creates a snug fit which often seems helpful when welding in odd positions. Hours with my face in the fumes are only possible with a quality air filtration device, couldn't function without one.

I find it hard to believe that the " Protective Helment " options are so few and so primative. A cheap super helment with all the awesome features of the future should have happened a long time ago. I'm talking forced filtered air, auto darkening big screen that goes totally clear and is self cleaning, heating and cooling, stereo sound system, voice interactive internet connection and phone, food and beverage feed tubes (beer ), cranial massager, aroma therapy, head lights, loud speaker, lazer pointer, GPS, camera-video-audio recording......super duper ultralite wieght helment of the future that sends birthday cards to friends, family and important clients. How long am I going to have to waite ? Can't " they " see, we would be so much more efficient with such a device. The Economy is begging for these innovations.

Welders unite......demand the future....now. We deserve better !!!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Level 10 user

you forgot bathroom break sensor and virtual nap, for when you really ought to, but are on a 60 hour roll.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Level 10 user

Yesterday we had a bit of a heat-wave here in Massachusetts (82 degrees) so I startd the day off with a twelve pack of beer, stripped-down naked (except for my Redwings to collect the slag to keep me moving), spritzed on some WD 40 and began working. Using and empty brown beer-bottle as a mask, I could feel the UV's charging me up with every long bead drawn. I took a pull off the acetyline torch as I stepped back to assess my progress. "Nice work, E" things were looking good. My hair caught fire at the strike of the next arc but I couldn't be bothered with it...I was in the Zone. In the end I was left with yet another masterpiece. I headed out of the studio, clothed only in accomplishment, thinking about a huge pile of Nuclear Atomic Buffalo wings.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Level 10 user

overheard at the E residence...
Mama, why is Daddy wearing a sizzled twinkie and smoking?