Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Level 1 user

Help Me Identify This Sculpture!!!

My dad got this at an auction years ago, and I have NO clue what it is.
Any help I can get would be amazing.
There are 3 pictures below. I put a stapler in one to show it's size.
It has "FG" imprinted into the bottom. It was made with the piece and not written on.
It is basically a ball of coils with creepy little faces coming out of it.
...my wife hates it.

Thanks so much!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Sculptor

Re: Help Me Identify This Sculpture!!!

Thanks for posting. Kind of an odd piece, but I'd say someone with at least a bit of experience - probably a sculpture teacher at a school of some sort. I can't supply any suggestions about the initials, but as for the rest:

It's small, a sort of quick-demonstration piece. The strips look like quickly formed bits of sculptural clay, the sort that people of many experience levels use to add to a form. The faces probably are identical, and from a tiny mold, another sort of demonstration in efficiency. And, finally, the artist seems to have painted on a light patina (coloring) material and quickly washed most of it away, yet another demonstration of technique.

My guess is that the material is either barely fired clay or plaster. Do you know the material?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Level 1 user

I'd say Clay. The faces don't appear the same. Would a demo piece have initials? OH, I forgot. It has a bell inside too. It sounds like a big cat toy. It weighs about 5lbs. Does that help anyone further? It's so odd.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Level 1 user

Nobody else?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Sculptor

Sorry I missed your earlier reply. Clay is what I guessed, but I thought I should clarify. With the bell inside, I second your guess - a toy for some sort of pet, probably a cat.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Level 1 user

Ha. No way. This thing weighs like 8 lbs. If it was for a lion or a very man-sized baby, I would agree. Thing thing plagues my existence at the moment. I want to know it's history so bad or at least its purpose!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Level 10 user

perhaps that is its purpose? an item of torture or amusement.... play and be happy -just like the BFG
Old 02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Sculptor

You said about 5 pounds earlier, now 8. Either size ought to be fine for a favored housecat, since it should roll easily. One thing that bothers me about that idea is that it seems to show no wear. On a fully carpeted floor, that would be explained, but the thing harder to roll.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Level 1 user

I set it in front of my cat, and he just looked at me, called me a jerk, and walked away. I want this stupid thing's story. I'm going to shake it like a magic 8 ball in the hopes I get the answer.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Sculptor

So much for that theory! I'm gettin about as curious as you by now. Hope you do find an answer, but I can't really suggest any other place to look.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Level 1 user

Anyone else? Still stumped.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Level 1 user

Hey, ever heard about art? That's the idea, creating something intriguing, slightly surreal, that shakes your little brain into action! This excellent little gem has superbly achieved its noble purpose of stirring up the placid puddle of lesser minds. Why do you think it has a bell inside, and the bars limiting the faces? It symbolises of the cage that society clamps on our individuality so much that we become unrecognizeable (all faces seem alike), and this cage is stifling, constricting. The bell inside is a call to wake us up to this miserable reality, a call for action to free ourselves, to press against the bars hard until the cage breaks.

There, got it now?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Level 1 user

hi, ever heard of h.r. giger? at least it bears some similarity with "Landscape XIV" for example
Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Identify This Clay Sculpture!!!

Need some more clues answered . . . like what part of the country are you in? What kind of auction event was it purchased from... and any other factors of it's aquisition that you can come up with that might help resolve it's author.

You say it rings like a bell? Does it make a dull rattle sound or a higher (glass like) tinkle when shaken? The ball looks high fired to me, with an iron oxide or albany slip applied and wiped off of the surface before firing. Many potters make stamps of initials that can be pressed into the forms they make as a "signature." Speaking of signatures, this piece doesn't really have a signature style that really lends itself to identifying the artist. The faces look like they came from a "baby doll" mold, I think they probably are all from the same form and were alterred a bit as they were pressed into the coils during construction.

If you live in the region where it was purchased, I'd start by inquiring with local potters, an art center or a craft guild if there is one.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Level 4 user

Re: Identify This Clay Sculpture!!!

How about a photo of the bottom side? I ask because I notice a horozontal edge running around the middle of the ball. Does this imply that the bottom half is different? The stamped FG seems more like a brand mark than a signature.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Level 8 user

I agree. a look at the bottom side would indicate if this piece was in some way coital