Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Level 5 user

What is the title of this Jean Arp?

Do any of ya'll know what the title of this work is? I can't remember for the life of me and can't find it on google... i think its "Leaf" but i'm not sure... thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Level 5 user

Re: What is the title of this Jean Arp?

now.... there should be an image....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arpsculpture.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	9248  
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Level 10 user

"Another of Arp's Amazingly Dull Blobby Forms #3" ?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Level 5 user

haha- i'm studying for my comps and i need to know! its on the list of 300 images.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Level 10 user

"Feuille se Reposant" /Bronze 1959
Northwestern University
Evanston campus outside the Block Museum http://www.flickr.com/photos/slipgro...7600325244674/
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Level 10 user

And I always thought it was the remains of the staypuff marshmellow man after the ghost busters cooked him.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlady View Post
haha- i'm studying for my comps and i need to know! its on the list of 300 images.
Art comps? MFA? Art History? What?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Level 10 user

Since this blob has taken root in my old hometown, may I suggest another title:

"Collagulated Oil Spill From Leaky Soviet Rocketship"
Old 09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Level 10 user

Dull Blob? You're kidding right?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
Dull Blob? You're kidding right?
Nope. I can appreciate it formally and in a historical context - but it bores me to tears. How/why does it excite you?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Level 10 user

It has a nice beat & is something I can dance to.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Level 10 user

The organic form, off balance and asymetrical, point & counter, finished with a mechanical smoothness, a visually pleasing form, a 3D gospel hymn, harmony without force, mass with just the barest suggestion of being bound by gravity....
Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Level 10 user

That is sooo not a gospel hymn. Perhaps it's a phrase you mistook for a hymn.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Level 10 user

I think it more closely resembles a goober than a hymn, but that's just one figurative artist's perspective.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Level 10 user

More like this, no goobers, although they're infinitely better than raisinets
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Level 10 user

Kudos to Blacksun. The rest of you enroll in an art appreciation course. What a bunch of dumb ass comments. For being "sculptors and art lovers", I think a kindergarten class would be more supportive and insightful. Yet another reminder of why I stopped posting my work.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Level 10 user

Nothing excites me more than a good piece of biomorphic abstraction...NOTHING. Nothing can be more important than an artist subjectifying his thresholded movements in creative desparation. But you guys, Blacksun and Joe, must admit that this piece is a rather bland example. In its day I'm sure its non-objectivity caused a stir, but it didn't hold-up over time. Just cause its Arp, dont make it great (I didn't even recognize it as one...must be a lesser work). Any tensions or worth lie in its gravity-defying mounting...the form is indeed dull, rounded-off, generalized, "edge" challenged...Its the type of form that even wouldn't be rescued by increased scale. Weak.

Joe, so then where ARE you getting worthy commentary about you current work?...I cant imagine a better place than from sculptors.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Level 10 user

Pardon opinion's that don't match yours, jOe. Do we really need an art appreciation class, or a re-education camp, commrade? How do you pretend to play the noncomformist role and yet challenge the validity of a perspective outside of your own?

Is your work too precious to survive being sullied by an honest critique? But you still could post it and just say, "please say something nice and supportive about this or remain silent ".
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Do we really need an art appreciation class, or a re-education camp, commrade?
You do absolutely. Granted you do ok with 19th century and older, but any abstract, conceptual, or cutting edge work is out of your league. You've proven that countless times. More than any one here.

Quote:
How do you pretend to play the noncomformist role and yet challenge the validity of a perspective outside of your own?
To quote you:"Since this blob has taken root in my old hometown, may I suggest another title:

"Collagulated Oil Spill From Leaky Soviet Rocketship"". Yeah, what depth. Sorry for the challenge.

Quote:
Is your work too precious to survive being sullied by an honest critique? But you still could post it and just say, "please say something nice and supportive about this or remain silent ".
I don't need nice hand holding comments. I look for intelligence and open minds. A few here have it, but less than a handful.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
But you guys, Blacksun and Joe, must admit that this piece is a rather bland example. In its day I'm sure its non-objectivity caused a stir, but it didn't hold-up over time
I agree that it isn't holding up. What I object to is juvenile trash talk about art. That is what I'd expect from non artists. At least you made your point intelligently.

Quote:
Joe, so then where ARE you getting worthy commentary about you current work?...I cant imagine a better place than from sculptors.
This is my great disappoint here, I can imagine it much better. You'd think sculptors would more sensitive or appreciative of art, but like I said ,only a handful here are the real deal. I would never refer someone to this forum for a critique unless it was for figurative work. I would recommend a PM to a select few.
As far as my getting worthy commentary, I get it from passersby who take the time to come to the house to talk to me about what is outside. Enthusiasm, sparkling eyes make up for erudite comments. Yet a couple have stunned me which makes the comparison to what occurs here,for the most part, shameful. And be very clear, I'm not saying that my work is all that deep, and definitely not cutting edge or even great. I'm just trying to raise the bar here for adult commentary.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
but any abstract, conceptual, or cutting edge work is out of your league. You've proven that countless times. More than any one here.

That may depend on what edge they are trying to cut. Despite your vast qualifications to be so judgemental about my league, there are a number of abstract artists on this forum whose work I admire and to whom have given what I thought was insightful praise. You may want to alert them that I really didn't know what I was talking about.

To quote you:"Since this blob has taken root in my old hometown, may I suggest another title:

"Collagulated Oil Spill From Leaky Soviet Rocketship"".

Yeah, what depth. Sorry for the challenge.

I feel badly for your lack of a sense of humor. But if I was going to seriously try to wring depth out of that Arp piece, it would take the kind of verbal gymnastics that makes art critics sound like collagulated verbiage spill from leaky soviet brains.

I don't need nice hand holding comments. I look for intelligence and open minds. A few here have it, but less than a handful.
And the winner of the colleague-bashing pseudo-intellectual elistist snobbery award of the week goes to the intelligent, open-minded man in the back row! Please come forward to recieve your plastic bannana!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Level 10 user

Y'all are pretty dang cranky. Go eat your prunes or something, please.

Perhaps my comments were too flippant to count. Here let me state it more plainly. I enjoy this piece for its delight in its own volume and movement. It is a quiet piece, introspective, but with a definite heartbeat. I posted Alvin Ailey dancers for comparison. Not a true match for me, but a suggestion of something sincere, if not cutting edge.

Go get some air up your nose, you'll feel better. Sheesh.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Level 10 user

since the post question was answered, can you post other work from the
1950s that you would say has stood the test of time?
(anyone)
i wonder how narrow our views are.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Level 10 user

It is argueable that the 40's and 50's produced MORE time-resistant work than ANY other decades..ever, if we must classify by little periods. (can o' worms)
Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
And the winner of the colleague-bashing
True to my belief that "artists" that denigrate art or place limits on self expression on a forum dedicated to art, deserve a thump on the noggin. And yes, Glenn, you have received many thumps from me.

Quote:
pseudo-intellectual elistist snobbery
To quote myself..."I think a kindergarten class would be more supportive and insightful." in response to " ... juvenile trash talk about art". If your statements are the best you can do, I apologize. I guess I should know better and lower my expectations as we've had too many spats over abstract art, what is art, and freedom of expression.

Quote:
...re-education camp, commrade?..."Collagulated Oil Spill From Leaky Soviet Rocketship""..."collagulated verbiage spill from leaky soviet brains"
Wow, Russia must be closer to Alaska then I thought...and if Georgia joins NATO... Better save these Freudian slips for the other thread.