Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Level 3 user

Cub scouts carving project

Hi fellow sculptors,
I have been asked to show the local cubs a little about sculpting in stone. It was also suggested they do some.

Does any one have any suggestions for such a project which would be safe for cub scouts up to 11 years old to work on please?
Any ideas welcome.
Yours hopefully.

www.antonetta.newton-tyers.com
Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM
ISC Member

Re: Cub scouts carving project

Why don't you demonstrate to them how to carve stone with a piece of what ever you like to carve with and then have them try it with a piece of soap.

Hope this helps,
Steve M

"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM
ISC Member

Hey Serendipity,

Depends on how much time you have - if this is one scout meeting you may not have time for anything but Steven's soap suggestion. However, if the time goes over several meetings a short demo can be followed by some small pieces of soapstone or alabaster. The small pieces can be whittled with pocketknives or chipcarving knives and refined with coarse rasps. Perhaps something like an Indian (Native American) fetish form very stylized animals? Slate might be another option as far as stone. I have done workshops for slightly older kids and it takes at least three or four hours (with a lunch or snack break) for them to get anything recognizable with apple-to-grapefruit-sized pieces of soapstone/alabaster with regular hammer&chisel carving tools working on sandbags.
I also do hour-long demos for classes of schoolkids and in the last 15 minutes or so hand them safety glasses, a mallet and a chisel and let them whack away on a good sized-chunk of limestone (like Portland stone). They never really have a chance to 'make' anything but at least they get the feel for the physical process. Every once in-a-while one kid will really get into it and have a hard time putting down the tools a pre-printed card with stone/tool suppliers names might be suggested for them as an into to further activity.
Another thing the kids like to do is wet-sand little flat pieces (scrap off some of my marble carvings that I have pre-flattened on one side) to get the stone to a polish the finished object may not 'be' anything recognizable, but the completion of the process allows them to feel a sense of accomplishment. If you provide the type(s) of stone and where the stone was quarried for each chip the kids really seem to find that direct physical connection to a specific local/far-off place quite meaningful.

Good scouting to you,
Don
Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Level 3 user

Hi Don,
thanks for your very thoughtful ideas. I am keen to make a good impression on the young ones. Our village is quite small and the local boys often cycle past when I am at work stop and look ask a few questions then cycle off. I think your idea of shapes with a flat surface will be really good. My son is always thrilled by the feel of a polished piece. I think that will make them connect with the process. I just ad a thought that would make it a really nice gift for their mums if I can get a local firm to donate some small pieces of polished slate they could look quite classy. Wow I'm inspired now. I'll get some pics for you when it's all done! Thanks again. Ciao

Old 10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Level 3 user

Hi Steve,
Soap is a great idea. I could add value to it by taking along some cellophane gift wrap for them to take home their creations.
I'm now feeling quite excited about the whole thing. I can already see little cars and airplanes!
Al the best
Ciao