Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Level 1 user

Thumbs up Your opinion about this artist

Hello everybody,
this is my first message on this board. As my nickname says, I'm mostly a figurative art fan, and in particular of sculptures in marble and bronze statues.

Some time ago I was presented to an artist living in Italy, almost unknown (at least to me), and I was really impressed of his works. His name is Jeroen Vermeire, in case somebody ever heard of him.
I see he also has a couple pages on the web.

Now, I'm here to get some feedback from this community to know if I made a good investment (I bought a bronze statue) and if you appreciate his works as much as I do.

I think a good link about him is this: facebook page

All your comments appreciated, also info about similar artists!
Thanks a lot in advance.

I'll also add a picture of the statue I bought (still have to find a good place for it):

Max di G.

Last edited by figurative@rt : 03-07-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Your opinion about this artist

I looked at the artist's FB photos and what I saw did not move me. There were some female figures with proportions skewed in some places which did not make much sense, and poses that expressed nothing to me. There was a marble piece that was pretty decent, but again nothing that I have not seen done better elsewhere.

What matters about your investment is whether or not the sculpture moves you. If this is a piece that inspires you and activates your imagination and gives you an aesthetic or other thrill to look at, it was a great investment. For me, finding a work by an Italian sculptor from 100 years ago, Leonardo Bistolfi, would be a great investment (if I could afford it) because his work really moves me.

It is all very subjective and the only thing that should matter to you regarding the investment is what your opinion of the piece is. There are so many ways to waste money but having an inspiring work of art in your home or office always pays back dividends in improving the quality of your life.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Level 10 user

I found his style interesting. There is a puzzling inconsistency there, some of the pieces are really good, some of them awkward. Sometimes is the anatomy, sometimes the gesture. But I have to say the awkwardness is sweet, and I can see how some people would find that attractive. Also, some people might find that unmoving. I personally like skinny, elongated and distorted, so I think you made a good choice.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Sculptor

I just had time to get to this, and the replies more or less reflect my own feeling. I find the piece you show awkward and not especially well-made, but as GlennT says, it's your money and your choice. Welcome to our forum.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Level 4 user

I like his work, marble is really challenging to work with so I'm impressed, but I'm kind of bias to figurative sculpture myself.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Sculptor

For the Community's information: I got an email this morning from the original purchaser of this sculpture, asking that the posts be removed at the request of the artist. I'll email him back that it is not our policy to do that. It is informative to see the much later progress of this, however.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
For the Community's information: I got an email this morning from the original purchaser of this sculpture, asking that the posts be removed at the request of the artist. I'll email him back that it is not our policy to do that. It is informative to see the much later progress of this, however.
This is as subjective as liking or not certain sculpture. A true artist would NOT ask to remove comments from any forum, as harsh as they may seem.
Debating, arguing, critics and more are all part of the art world. One`s either in or out...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Level 10 user

Having this thread brought up again, I revisited the FB link to his work. I am puzzled by and not at all visually attracted to the strongly over-emphasized rib cages found in most of his figures. However, there is a seated bronze female figure free of this that he did and it is quite lovely.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
When I entered this forum the few rules to accept did not mention the impossibility to edit or remove our own content (later on I discovered this ability was temporary); please point me to a policy which I have agreed on which mentions this.

I was kindly asked by that artist which I deeply respect to preferrably remove my original post from this forum or otherwise remove references to him from my posts; I don't have problems with doing this, and I thought it was my content. And I would like to keep a good relationship with him.
Therefore, and being unable to do it myself, I asked the moderators to act accordingly, and help me correct my mistake.

I did not get your email; I'd prefer to discuss this issue privately if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
This is as subjective as liking or not certain sculpture. A true artist would NOT ask to remove comments from any forum, as harsh as they may seem.
Debating, arguing, critics and more are all part of the art world. One`s either in or out...
Who is it that decides what a "true" artist should want?

I can understand he wants to be out of this discussion, as one picture, as good or bad as it may be taken, never shows a tridimentional figure in its true aspect, let be a piece of art; plus my opinion does not say anything about his vision either. While I have seen his works personally, most people judging here probably did not.

For anything else, please contact me by email (maxdigiov gmail com) ; I'll be glad to respond.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Level 10 user

The obvious reason for this forum to exist is to get other artists' opinions on a piece of work. Whether you are the artist who created it or a person asking comments on a purchased piece, you are welcome here. My question to the artist in this case is "what you got to hide"?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by figurative@rt View Post

I was kindly asked by that artist which I deeply respect to preferrably remove my original post from this forum or otherwise remove references to him from my posts; I don't have problems with doing this, and I thought it was my content. And I would like to keep a good relationship with him.
Therefore, and being unable to do it myself, I asked the moderators to act accordingly, and help me correct my mistake.

Who is it that decides what a "true" artist should want?

I can understand he wants to be out of this discussion, as one picture, as good or bad as it may be taken, never shows a tridimentional figure in its true aspect, let be a piece of art; plus my opinion does not say anything about his vision either. While I have seen his works personally, most people judging here probably did not.
You initiated this thread specifically asking for opinions regarding this artist. Had the responses all been positive, would the artist be asking to remove the post? You refer to your post as a mistake...does that mean you were originally prepared to remove the thread if you did not get the response you had hoped for?

I agree that a declaration of what a "true artist would want" is assuming too much. Artists have all sorts of temperments, which may or may not include being receptive to the opinions of others. All we can conjecture thus far is that the artist is not interested in opinions that do not reinforce his particular vision.

It is disrespectful of our intelligence and sensitivity as artists to assume that the opinions rendered here can be dismissed on the basis of being made only from seeing a faulty or incomplete photographic view. First, that was what was provided when the opinion was asked for. Again, had the responses all been positive, would you have bothered to make this assertion?

Second, you provided the artist's facebook link which has numerous images including multiple views of certain sculptures. This is the presentation that the artist has assembled to show his work to the world. If that visual information is incomplete, the fault is not with the viewer. I for one took the time to examine these works before giving my honest opinion.

Third, most members of this forum are professional sculptors who are quite familiar with the limitations of communicating the essence of a sculpture photographically. I believe we have a better insight than your average viewer in understanding what we are looking at. That is what this forum is about, an exchange of ideas, opinions, learning, and perspectives from fellow professionals. You can expect a range of honest and often conflicting opinions here. In like manner, I would not have made my same comments on the artist's own facebook page, because I understand that artists are using such pages in part to help market their work, so there it is best to either keep things positive or remain silent, unless an honest critique is specifically asked for as seemed to be the case, at least initially, on this thread.

Last edited by GlennT : 07-22-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah, Glenn says it good. THIS place is not for anyones promotion...it is for discussion. And it is an OPEN forum. As the matter of aesthetics is the MOST important thing that can get exchanged between humans, it would be disasterous to alter or censor the exchange. If you've been an artist awhile your skin is tough...if its not...then the whining will get you nowhere (just like in life). We do, help each other get better; even if it doesnt feel so nice at the time.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Level 10 user

I don't understand the artist's wish to have all these comments removed. Some are positive, some negative. Some of us went to the website and took that in and saw good work and as Rika said , some awkward. Also these threads fade away like a (clever metaphor) so who is going to read this except people who do sculpture and visit this site. Certainly not any future clients of the artist who might be buying his stuff, unless he wanted to direct those prospective clients here to affirm their decision to acquire his work. Best just let this die and disappear along with all the threads that have gone before. Nothing is erasable anymore.