Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Level 3 user

Creye... Your opinions if you will

I guess I don't want people to call me Jack, Don or Dick.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Creye... Your opinions if you will

Whats the size, and material/process. More intro (as we are confined to internet responses). Very effective organic/biomorphic arrangement. Yet I would prefer that the facial properties were pushed deeper into the mix. And the teardrops are not needed at all. Plus, either the base is not needed at all or it ought to be something more servicing...and not try to participate in the "meat" of the composition. I DO like the handiwork, though. It is not infantile nor clumsy.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Level 10 user

Yes!
Completely agree with E on those three points: tears out, simpler base, and more mixed and distorsion among facial expressions. I would add a fourth point: the colors. there`s something about that combination (must be the brass), that reminds me of cheap Indu or chinese mass produced artifacts. Like it otherwise!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Level 3 user

I dig the totemic feel- "climb the twisted stair and kneel before the Crying God!"; with that in mind, the earthen color/texture with metallic elements works for me. Better still would be if the work was colossal- I can see discovering a sunken courtyard, twisted pillars illuminated by a flickering torch, leading to an on odd set of steps- and gibbering madness.

(OK, the teardrop comments keep nagging at me... perhaps it is a quantity issue- I have an urge to put the image in Photoshop and smudge a few out, change their balance... Degree of distortion- well, it all depends on execution, doesn't it? More could be delightful or disaster; the only bits I feel compulsed to reach out and change are in the central image, where facial features align clearly enough to trip my brain into reflexively reading a face- the top two parallel eyes and the elements around the lower nose. The base is so machine like- I'd like it to resemble cogs/gears/cams even more so, perhaps- once fine crafted, fell to rot, corrosion, ruin- reminds me of Moloch, Fritz Lang's Metropolis.)

Again, abstraction isn't my cup- but you've served up a tasty bit of Lovecraftian horror. Definitely not an arm-chair sculptor- Willie would be proud.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Level 3 user

The height is 18 inches, without the base it measures 11 inches. The materials used are cardboard, tinfoil and foam for the rough form. Apoxie and polymer clay for the fine tuning. The paints I've used on the main object are able to be modified chemically. That's how the rust effect is achieved. In real life, the colors seem to be more saturated and darker.
I agree with the comments regarding the base and the tears. The base was created for gaining some real estate as I work rather small. I am confined/restricted by the dimensions of my oven (for curing the clay). Perhaps when seen in combination with my other work, the choice of base might become more fitting. Also I do hope that when I'll be able to cast my work in bronze, I'll be able to incorporate a better color scheme to enhance the function of the base. Only time will tell.
As for the tears, I can't leave them all out, though I do see now that perhaps I could have been more creative as some of them do feel more like filler than a requirement. The overall composition is not being stressed by it in my opinion so I think it's a minor "mistake". I don't see where (or for me, why) I should have "masqueraded" the facial features more but I concur the suggestions of using gears or such for the base.
Knowing that I create from the comfort of my chair (with arm rests) I can't fully accept the compliment. I do hope that I'll be creating/experiencing some more "monumental" work by my own hands. I tip my hat off to the standing sculptor.
Thanks for the comments evaldart, Nelson and mavigogun.

Last edited by Adolphine : 07-27-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I'm an ediot