Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Level 10 user

Glenn T

I saw this angel the other day in the Amon Carter Museum and snapped a pic of it. I had the name plate in the photo but it didn't come out and I forget who did this. The Amon Carter is a nice museum and has the (I believe) collection of Russel and Remington paintings, prints and bronzes in the world, for the lovers of Cowboy Figuralism. They have a fairly good 20th Century gallery where I found this angel while looking at the Calders and Nevilsons. Art museums usually let people take non flas pics of pieces in their permanent collection. I was stopped from taking a pic of a Henry Moore plaster positive that has been on loan for 30 years to the Dallas Fine Art but across the street at the Nasher I can take a pic of a bronze that came from a mold of the plaster.

Thatch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	10911  
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Glenn T

That would be " Benediction" by Daniel Chester French, my favorite American sculptor after Augustus Saint Gaudens, and occaisonally before. Thanks for thinking of me. I happen to be angel sculpting at the moment as well.

Last edited by GlennT : 05-07-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Glenn T

I thought you would like that. Julia and I have been to almost every museum in the area looking at art. She got laid off and we had some time. We didn't make the Kimball but I hadn't been to the Modern Art of Ft. Worth yet so we did that and the Amon Carter. Unfortunatly the Modern has yet to get most of their really large sculptures out of storage yet. I hope they do it soon. I only remember the James Searls for a fact but know there were a good number of really large works. The DMFA is a nice building but the MAFt.W is the best building for viewing art I have seen yet.

Thatch