Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Level 10 user

New Portrait by Alfred

Hey there gang, here's a new piece I just finished this week. It hasn't been molded yet so there is still time for some tweeking. Other than an air bubble or two which I haven't filled yet, I'm really happy with this one. It's a portrait of my wife (life size) done as a wall mounted piece. When I'm finished with it, I'll have it cast in bronze then I'll frame it myself to hang in my home. Although, I think this one might just be good enough that someone else might like to have it in there home as well.

I've added some detail shots and two diferent lighting set-ups, light will be very important for this piece, because the mood of it changes depending on the light. Crtits are always encouraged with me, so fire away!!!

Alfred
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Level 10 user

Re: New Portrait by Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred
Although, I think this one might just be good enough that someone else might like to have it in there home as well.

Alfred
You are right! Can I have your wife in my home?

Seriously, Alfred, there is little to say in the way of a critique. It is obviously a labor of love and you done an excellent job with it. As for the lighting, I like the different aspects that are brought out in each, so it is hard to say. I like the dream-like quality of the 4th, which is even more apparent in the 3rd except then some of the nice strong shadows which give it strength are lost. The loving expression in the 1st is great too. No more tweeking! Go man Go!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Sculptor

Alfred - It's gorgeous, but I do have a couple of comments and a question regarding the first photo, all concerning the model's left side. First, a question. I'm puzzled by a sort of cut or crease just to the side of the lips, the horizontal "dimple" that originates in the vertical crease which always accompanies a smile. That may be a characteristic of your wife's face, but its a feature I don't recall seeing elsewhere.

The other two comments are on what I take to be minor flaws you already may have corrected. The upper cheek and the flesh overlying the brow on that same side show small irregularities in this same photo.

Overall, a splendid piece I'm sure you and your family will treasure.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Level 10 user

Glenn, from some comments you've made in other threads, I think my wife would at least like to visit your home. She admires your honesty and candor. Thanks for the kind words. Like I said, there's only minor flaws like bubbles that I'm working out, for the most part I'm proud of this one. And like most of my works this was also a speedy sculpt.

Fritchie, I believe I know which "cut" you're talking about. My wife has a sharp furow in the corners of her mouth when she smiles. The "Node", which is the fiberus group of tissue that holds several muscles in place at the corner of the mouth, is usually more round and creates a softer bump in that part of the lip. My wife's, however, is more vertically oriented and creates a deeper furow. I could have simplified that form to give it a softer read, but it is very much part of my wifes charater, as is her nose. I'll try to get a photo of the side of the sculpt to demenstrate what I'm talking about.

Okay, got them posted. My wife has a very cute, very small, upturned nose. I've never met anyone with a nose quite like hers.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Level 10 user

It's always rewarding to see a well excecuted sculpture like this one Alfred. A simple expression with powerful feeling. Bravo, it's definately a keeper.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Level 10 user

Its quite apparent, Alfred, that you can do anything you like with the clay; a very empowered place to be. And there does come a time when enough skill has been achieved, which allows a sculptor to then continiue progressing by the reprioritizing of choices and decisions and by pushing and overcoming limitations (time, work-space, financial...no excuses) in the areas of scale, subject and intensity (the desired top-level of execution will be henceforth assumed).

This portrait gives me questions, which I like better than answers. Is she smiling.?..not sure, are her eyes open or closed? there is a calm complexity here that is so much more important than handiwork and air bubbles. Like Glenn said, she's ready...and so are you.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Level 10 user

She looks to be a beautiful, patient woman.
My one concern (& it may be just me or just the lighting) is the way it ends at the bottom. The hair goes beautifully from high relief to low releif, but the body is truncated bust-style. The plaque format brings an unfortunate deer head reference. (Would it now be a dear head?) Must go, am becoming overwhelmed by bad jokes. trophy wife... many apologies!

Last edited by grommet : 10-02-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Level 10 user

Evaldart, Thanks for the compliment. I hope to carry my abilities forth and contribute beatiful sculpture to the world around me.

Grommet, I considered sculpting the chest down into the base, but as I was asembling this sculpt I decided on the "Unfinished" look to the bottom of the portrait. It's not terribly clear in the photos, but the base is rough and blends into the background. The idea was to have a serene, soft looking face emerging from the chaotic and hard background. Her hair was intended as the transition between the two. I've never been troubled by jokes, no need for appologies.

Alfred
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 PM
ISC Member

Alfred,
Great to see your new piece. Wow -- you've nailed the lips, nailed the eyes -- gorgeous.

It occurs to me the transition between the hair that is above the surface of the background to the hair that is at the surface of the background may be tricky. I wonder if you could even dig that deeper in so it goes below the surface of the background for a short stretch, and then fades up and away as it moved down the piece at the level of the background. I dunno -- just a thought. In the light of the photos I didn't realize at first that the hair continued down. Maybe the piece itself is different.

how do you plan to go from here -- Fire? Cast into plaster? Resin? What kind of finish are you contemplating? I've been experimenting with some high-fire glazes, wood kilns, raku -- just about anything to get life back into my pieces once they are bisqued or cast...

Glad to see your new work after our summer workshop.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Bob!! It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words. The piece is actually in plaster right now. The process was multistepped - First the portrait in clay, then a waste mold of the portrait was done, then it was cast in plaster, then I built a frame on a piece of board and poured plaster into that, then I submerged the portrait into the plaster and worked it while it was setting up. I've gone back in and chiseled away parts of the plaster and I've added some plaster back in. The next step for this piece will be bronze.

I have a couple of new works that I haven't posted yet. I was going to wait until I got them back from the foundry so I could show the bronze instead of the clay. I hope you come back back and check those out as well. Maybe I'll just e-mail them to you. It's nice to hear that you're keeping busy. Send me some photos of your new work, I'd love to take a look.

Alfred
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Level 10 user

By the way, the face you sculpted communicates to me the virtue of transcendance that I tried ever so hard to explain on a couple of other threads. This is not a literal attempt at transcribing ever subtle nuance of flesh..it is the use of form to communicate an idea of a person whose inner radiance transcends the limitations of flesh. The key in my opinion to doing this successfully is sculpting with loving eyes.

GlennT