Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Level 10 user

Been Away, here's a new piece

Hey guys, I've been away from this forum for a little while. Things just seemed to be slowing down on here for what i was looking for. I've also been busy with several projects. I'm currently trying to find some commercial work to hopefully have as a day job, so that I can afford to do my fine art stuff. Anyway, I've got several new things that I'm working on, and I thought I'd share one that I "finished" a little while back.

It's a sculpt I did of a Terry Dodson Illustration, taken from the pages of a Harley Quinn comic (I believe it's #2 or 3).

CATWOMAN!!! Here's the reference pic and my sculpt.

And here are some turn arounds:

I'm most likely going to be casting her in wax to further refine the details. There has been some interest in this piece, so I may have it made into a resin kit. Thanks for looking, hope you like it. Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Alfred
Old 04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Been Away, here's a new piece

(Maybe if I'm really good, I'll get a butt like hers for Christmas.)

She's very engaging.
The tail bugs me, but I assume you can fix that in the wax too. It looks like it's been run over or something & doesn't have that sinuous quality.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Level 6 user

I don't know, G, I think a butt like that comes with a lot of pain..This might prove my demented sense of humor. Looks a little like Mapplethorpe, doesn't it? Before anyone objects, remember it's art.....

Geez A, your sculpey skills are unrivalled; how do you bring out such detail in that wet snot? I've resorted to using the stuff as backing support for my tig welds and as such I've come to despise its burning odor--the stuff gutters like whale blubber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapple.gif
Views:	277
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	10653  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Level 10 user

Grhb, like all materials it takes a little getting used to. I will say that I mix my regular Super Sculpey with Super Sculpey firm (1:1) and it yields a material not to different from an NSP medium. I like that I can bake it multiple times and keep adding to it. This piece is fairly detailed, but nothing like the pieces I'm working on now, but even they aren't as detailed as I want to get. That's why I'm casting them into a hard carving wax (I'll be using Slipak's grey wax). I do most of the detail stuff in the sculpey, but it doesn't have the hardness to hold really tight detail, especially anything mechanical or machine made.

I'd also like to think that I'm all that when it comes to sculpey, but I get schooled on a pretty regular basis by some of these guys out there doing Garage kits, or stuff for the collectibles market (that's the kind of work I want to get).

Thanks for looking, Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Level 6 user

cool, i didn't even know the stuff came in firm and I didn't know you could rebake--good to know.

It's handy stuff around the welding table, as long as you don't get it on the weld spot--great when you're trying to tack small pieces. It reacts better than clay, which has a tendency to screw up metal adhesion when it steams.

Great memories working with wax.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Level 10 user

Just be careful about burning the stuff. Above 280 degrees the fumes are highly toxic.

Be Safe
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhb View Post
I don't know, G, I think a butt like that comes with a lot of pain..This might prove my demented sense of humor. Looks a little like Mapplethorpe, doesn't it? Before anyone objects, remember it's art.....
I vote demented sense of humor. gross.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Level 10 user

She certainly has the Julie Numar lips, not Eartha Kittish at all. I love it!

I was working with some kind of brown petroleum based wax mixed with a hard brittle red for doing bronze casting. Does this grey wax work like those? Even a finger print will show up after you get it real smooth.

Thatch
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Level 10 user

The sculpt is currently in Super sculpey. Anything will show up in there. The next material I will be using is a hard carving wax that you can sand and buff smooth. I handles lots of wear without leaving any marks. It's great for detail, because you don't really mess up anything you're working on, just by handling it.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Level 10 user

hi Alfred, welcome back; love seeing yer werk

I'm with grommet ,"The tail bugs me"

I been watching my 2 cats move ---funny how i see 'em every day, and still, need to focus on the motion of their tails as they climb and jump to see how it integrates with their balance and power
your catwoman's tail, however seems a necessarily ineffective appendage
(more like it's an appendage of the costume rather than of the creature)

I hope that makes sense
rod