Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Level 10 user

the art gave an arm and a leg

This is the "Snake King", original art created by the truck load for Chipotle restaurants, a Mexican food chain owned by McDonald's. My task was to do the install in a bunch of restaurants. The King was 9 feet long and the wall he was to be mounted to was supposed to be 13 feet long. For some reason the general contractor made this wall a bit less than 9'.

The McDonald suites were doing the walk through that night, had to get done. So I got my saw out and literally whacked off an arm from one side of the King and a leg from the other. That made the beast only 7 feet long, see how nice he fits?

Once the general contractor, project manager and McDonald's suites arrived I realized in horror that I had forgotten to remove the whacked arm and leg, they were sitting on a table in front of the King.

Three different times during the walk through they picked up the severed members and asked each other, "where do these go?" No one ever figured it out. Later I removed the parts for a quiet proper burial.

I think this event makes some sort of statement about art in general or maybe some artists in particular, but I don't know what the statement is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake-King.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	5857  
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Level 2 user

Re: the art gave an arm and a leg

ER Take the money and run
I Bet it paid the bills,
NO disrespect the wall was nice the burger was better

Stay cool
Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 AM
ISC Member

Hi Allen, I think it's just a humorous story and i'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't start a thread of funny stories related to our art work.
I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure I've got one or two of these stories buried somewhere in the back of my mind.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Level 10 user

Oh, like the time I pulled a gantry crane over onto my truck during a de-installation because I drove away without unhooking the hoist from the 17 foot 1100 lb sculpture. This was no little portable gantry either. Luckily the sculpture absorbed most of the impact and the truck only suffered a dent in the roof and a couple of busted running lights. Scared the holy shit outta me as well as the onlookers. I unhooked the sculpture, swung a rope around a nearby tree tied it to the truck and righted the gantry within minutes. The dent in the art made it look better. Everyone laughed over the ensuing beers. A real pro that Matt Johnson.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Level 10 user

Re: the art gave an arm and a leg, funny art stories

Hay evaldart I did that too, except I was using a big front end loader to put a 900 pound beast in the back of a pickup. I was so focused on the back of the truck I never looked at the other end of the bucket, which was as large as the pickup. Smooshed the cab and never even realized it. Really embarrassing, the difference being I did not get that heart stopping pure terror loud bang, sound of your a-hole slamming shut moment, I never even heard it.
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Level 10 user

You guys crack me up!.. Just what I needed after a long week away from the forum and too much work on my tired body.

www.tiredironsculptures.com