Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Level 1 user

Info Wanted!

Hi,

I have in my possession a piece which appears to be a bronze/copper sculpture for hanging on a wall, entitled 'Unity by G. Schoeman'. It comprises of 20 modernist figures on a dark brown background in a gold coloured frame. It measures 107cms wide x 38cms high and 8cms deep. It is signed 'Giovanni' on the side of one of the figures.

Does anyone have any info on the artist or piece or know where I could obtain a list of his work?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Sculptor

Re: Info Wanted!

We had a thread on Giovanni Schoeman last August, which might be of interest. Here's http://www.sculpture.net/community/s...light=schoeman the link.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Level 1 user

I worked in the last remaining foundry producing Giovanni sculptures until it closed in '98 or '99. It was called Hamilton Studios, and was located in Santa Barbara CA. George Hamilton was the owner and a long time friend and apprentice of Giovanni. Most of Giovanni's work was done in the 1970's. He had several foundry's around the world. He also owned several galleries. George Hamilton was a very close friend of mine and shared everything he knew about Giovanni with me. Giovanni produced many different sculptures, and was a pioneer in cold cast sculpture. Most all of his pieces were produced in limited editions, and are numbered. Most of his pieces were quite expensive. Small pieces sold for several hundred, while his large pieces sold for $10,000 - $15,000 and up.
Giovanni was murdered along with his mistress and buisness partner in 1980, and Hamilton carried on casting his work from original masters and molds. I saw many beautiful pieces Giovanni sculpted, some never were released. He had many celebrity friends, and many were collectors. There is very little information available about Giovanni, and I have read a lot of stuff that is not accurate about him and his work. I spent 4 years helping to produce his work and sell it, and have always believed the story of Giovanni Schoeman is worthy of a book or movie.

J. Lee

Last edited by jonathan lee : 04-14-2008 at 03:44 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Level 1 user

Thank you both for the above......although I am now more confused as to what I actually have! How do I know whether I have something original or 'cast from original masters'?
I'm sorry, I know virtually nothing about art, I just buy what I like, and 14 years ago I thought this was a bit of a find.
Thanks
Sam
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Level 1 user

I have a few questions:
1. Level 1 user: new to this community? Level of experience? Known by the community? Well, I am level 1 to all aspects.

2. I need some insight on how to make a mold from the clay model. I am in the process of drying to leather hard. Then I will hollow it out and slip it together. Here is the question. How do I make the Latex mold of the model so I can make plaster copies of it and is latex and plaster my best options? It is a bust.
(Someone take me under their wing a little I a so wet behind the ears but am sooooooo eager to learn....Thank you all.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Level 10 user

Ramona:

There has been a lot of prior discussion on these points, so a good place to start would be using the search function on this website with keywords such as "rubber molds", "latex molds" ( cheap but not reliable for preserving shape), and "plaster cast".

Also, there are a number of good, helpful books such as the Dover reprint of " Modeling and Sculpting the Human Figure" by Lanteri, and "From Clay to Bronze" by Tuck Langland.

These sources should cover the questions you have, and may lead to other questions which we are glad to answer.