Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Level 10 user

A little work, While at the Fair

Hey guys, this weekend I was at the Beverly Hills Affaire in the Gardens Art Show. I placed Third in Sculpture and I brought the creature kits on Sunday and managed to sell 4 kits (two of which are apparently going to be a gift to Jack Nicholson). It was a good show, despite all the rain and gloom.

While I was there, I decided to sculpt something to keep myself busy (normally I just draw in my sketchbook). It really brought the crowd into my space, and got a lot of positive attention. Here a quick shot (sorry about the quality) of the little piece I did over the weekend. He's 6.5 inches tall, sculpted in Chavant - La Beaux Touche. I plan on doing a couple minor tweaks and adding the base. When he's done, I'll put copies of him up for sale.

Thanks for looking.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Level 10 user

Re: A little work, While at the Fair

Congratulations. Lovely piece, especially considering people were looking over your shoulder, and other distractions at a show. Did you use any reference at all?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Rika. I used a single photo I found of an Indian Shaman. Very striking and instantly inspiring. i had to turn him into a sculpt.

There were lots of distractions, and a lot of stopping and starting. I probably got no more than about 6-7 actual sculpting hours on this piece, the whole weekend.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

Really good head. Shoulders too small...Can't you get everything perfect in 6-7 hours? :0) Can't tell what I'm seeing to the viewer's left side of the forehead and above that looks like a vertical band between the hair and the rest of the head- a product of lighting, a shaman tattoo stripe, related to the incised curved lines over the forehead?

What a great use of downtime at the event!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah, great face. No need for the shoulders at all. The gaze carries the whole thing. Again, I'm amazed that you can do this so small. It adds up to much more than just skill and talent.

As you look to improve and progress, though, it will be necessary that your pieces get more challenging for you. You will have to eventually confront a life sized figure to make the leap. That will redefine you.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys.

Glenn, the lines you're seeing are scribed lines to show where the Shaman paint markings will go. They won't be there in the finished version, they were just helpful in getting the character of the face. The shoulders might need a bit more width, but because of the bust dimensions, I didn't want him to get to wide - it's just a stylistic choice. The biggest issue has been getting the ethnicity to come across. It's tough without the skin tone and the paint markings (hell, you could take Brad Pitt and without changing anything structural about his face, make him look like a complete aboriginal). It's tough because people have this instant association when they see a bald guy with beard, all they see is Socrates. Once he's patinaed, or painted if I cast it in resin, then people will instantly get it, but for me the challenge lies in people seeing the ethnicity without all that stuff. 2-3 more hours and I'll have it right.

Evaldart, I've actually sculpted twice life sized portraits, and a number of life sized full figures. I can sculpt in any scale (given the right tools and equipment). I did work for a company that sculpted life sized dinosaurs many years ago, so I can sculpt really huge stuff if I needed to. I've actually found that the real challenge is in the small stuff (for me anyway), although this guy's not exactly small - not by the sizes of the commercial stuff I've been sculpting.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Level 10 user

Lets see those big ones (human figures). I'd be very curious about how they differ stylistically from your small stuff. Because it is such a different experience.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Level 10 user

I'll see if I can dig some photos up, but they're more than 10 years old, so I don't know if they're still around. My abilities have definitely improved since then, so I'd say they're quite a bit more simple looking. Still proportionally correct and stuff, but not quite as engaging.

The commercial stuff is definitely an art form. Doing portraits at that scale requires a certain type of focus and eye for structure. However, because of what they're meant for, I can't really do emotive or expressive portraits. They need to be very detailed, so the focus is on the likeness and not the mood. I do on occasion get to do someone (or something) screaming, or being angry, but never the subtleties of just a human character study. That's why I like doing these exercises, because it keeps me focused on the aesthetic AND the emotion.