Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Level 5 user

"Tacky" Sculptures - Do You Avoid Doing?

O.K. While I am waiting for the base on my first sculpture to dry out I am thinking about future ideas.. BTW, it's the second attempt at the base. The first one I poured the stone to thick and it came out terrible so I had to bust my sculpture out of it. Thankfully it didn't get damaged. I made the mixture much thinner this time and it poured and leveled out much better.

Anyway, I am planning ahead and started thinking about future sculptures that I may do.

Now some of the ideas I came up with are giving me mixed emotions. I like the ideas but also think they may be considered "tacky" (if you know what I mean by that) by some people (galleries, etc...). Like a plaque of the Comedy/Tragedy Masks with red curtains on each side. Or an Adam & Eve reaching for an apple on a tree.

Not that I care what the average person thinks but could it give some people (galleries, etc...) the impression that you are not a serious sculptor.

As these are the people we are, eventually, trying (hopefully) to impress
I am having second thoughts that if I do something that may be considered tacky that it will take away something from the more serious sculptures and I would not be taken as seriously as I am hoping for.

So, do any of you avoid subjects that may be considered tacky by others?

Or am I making much ado about nothing?

James
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Level 10 user

Re: "Tacky" Sculptures - Do You Avoid Doing?

I am thinking on this very subject so I am glad you brought it up. Tacking towards Tacky! I saw a PBS show about The Florida Highway Men. These were/are a group of black men and women that came out of the orange groves and learned how to paint from another self taught black man. The reason they learned how to paint is because he was selling (what I consider) rather tacky landscapes on the roadside. He would do at least one maybe two paintings a day and then promptly sell them for $10. to $20. This was the early 70's and the pickers could not make that much in a day. These folks painted, went to hotels, offices etc. and sold their work. Recently in the last 2 years a art historian called attention to them, they made the New Yorker and presto they are all Grandma Moses! Highly collectable and fetching very good prices. The reason I relate this story is two fold: 1) They enjoyed painting, did what they wanted to had the guts to go out and sell them and made a living. 2) What I consider tacky was not to all of those that bought them and with the help of the art world and media the Govenor Bush is commissioning them now. Unless you are FAMOUS who cares no one knows who you are anyway, and if you really think it tacky and SALABLE put someone elses name on it. Haven't you heard of Ghostwriters. The way I'm thinking is we all have to make a living and it makes far more sense to make it in your profession. Tacky/shmacky most people only ask me how much and then walk away! Better I say $50 bucks in cash please and keep on keepin on!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Level 5 user

Hey James,

I think it's most important that you do what speaks to you and feels right for you, rather than concerning yourself with 'impressing' galleries or thinking in terms of tackiness. Everyone has their own way of being and seeing...it's really a matter of what shoes fit best on your own feet, so to speak. People/galleries/etc. will see whatever way they see....galleries really are intent on making $$, so I really don't put much weight on how they would view my work. So, really, it's a matter of what speaks to you...if someone wants to label it tacky, that's their perception.

My itty bitty thoughts ,

Kathleen
Old 10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Level 5 user

Thanks!

Well the ideas are not tacky to me. Was just wondering if some galleries (the ones that would) would frown on such things. I, like many others here, are sculpting as I like it and it's enjoyable but, to me, having your stuff displayed in a gallery is sort of like a graduation. It won't break my heart if it doesn't happen, but it would be nice. Just don't want to do anything that might be a hinderance to the goal.

James
Old 10-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Level 10 user

James,
A second thought if you will.. there are all types of galleries too. If you don't fit they won't like it. You know I second Kathleens emotion. If it moves you do it. If you look at an old piece in a new way you can hit something that is truly original and yours. I would not be afraid to do Adam and Eve I would simply want to say what can I make of this? I think overdone pieces are harder to make in anew way. My drummer says make something they have never seen before, from my soul, truthful and see what they think. That turns me on more than money quite frankly. Although, I also see people making work and selling it, that I would not want to make and I feel like a fool. Its a constant struggle for freedom...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Level 10 user

James, just do what you like and someone else will like it, too. It may take a while, but we all have a market that is ours. At least, that's what I believe, anyway. As Kathleen rightly pointed out, galleries are in it for the money and their perceptions are dominated by what they know they can sell. That necessarily means looking for more of what they've already sold before, because it's "safe." These days, with the internet, it's possible to make your own market, anyway. So, the best approach is to do what moves you and then look for a market for it, rather than attempting to satisfy the market by doing what you think the market wants.

Gary
Old 10-06-2005, 09:37 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Some very good points have been made here and I agree with most of them.
Personally, I only work for me, never to "impress" anyone else and I also never think, "If I make it this way, I can sell it". Those thoughts, what I call "letting the dollar sign into the studio", I avoid at all costs.
You're an unknown anyway, so who's reputation are you going to ruin if you do what you want? I thought that following your bliss was part of what this whole thing is about.
The main thing is to do the work and get it out there, you'd be amazed at the results.
I once had a painter friend who wasn't selling anything, he was getting frustrated, discouraged and pissed off. He finally took some of his paintings and shoved them in a garbage can, showed this in a gallery and SOLD IT! He was very surprised.
So, you never know what's going to happen.
A sculpture that someone may consider "tacky", may look like it was done with "great taste and sophistication" by someone else.
Have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Level 3 user

Who gives a shit, really? Art is for yourself, not some guy who owns a a big room. -.- If it so happens someone wants to buy your work, good. If not, who cares? Selling your art shouldn't be your focus in art. -.-

Unless you are one of those artists who want to "start a business" or something. -.-

Ugh. -.- The fact that you are worried about the impression of what other people will have of you because of what you want to make disgusts me. -.- I mean, what happened to struggling artists juggling jobs and trying to find people who appreciate their work? What about Van Gogh?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Level 10 user

Well I think every one here is of like mind. I also believe that you need to work for you. I go to lots of fine art galleries and see really over priced conceptual work that I think is crap. That being said its not tacky but what is the diff. Just because I dont like it doesnt mean its not good or what ever. It just means its not for me. Look at warhol some of his work is ridiculous but its still considered great work .Look at picasso lots of his work looks like it was done by a child. Both of these guys did what they wanted to and both of them are house hold names .Step up step out be your self do what you want and good things will come of it.
just my take
Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Level 3 user

your initial 'gut feeling' is correct..they are tacky!...
try to avoid this trap, and focus on the bigger picture..the world has enough crap, try to produce work that will enrich peoples lives.