Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Level 1 user

"Master Sculptor"

Hi all I'm very new here. About 3 minutes now.

My friend and I just got into a debate on how does one become a "Master Sculptor".

Is it a council? who are they? is this the same in other fields of art?..master painter? master carver?

Any help would be great!

Thank you!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Level 2 user

Re: "Master Sculptor"

WOW, no answers for this I have often wondered the same thing, I think perhaps it is self proclaimed by some.

Spider
Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Level 10 user

Unless you're asking about a Masters degree in sculpture (MFA), I don't think there is any such thing, these days. That is, it's not something you test for or apply for and not really a title, either. It's more a concept, dating from the Renaissance, if not earlier, when artists learned their craft as apprentices, under the tutelage of a "master artist," such as Leonardo Da Vinci. Not many employment ads for "Master Sculptors" these days.

Gary
Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Level 10 user

Oh, oh! You don't mean do you Gary, those with MFA may call themselves Master Sculptor, and so others with BFA called Bachelor Sculptor? As I am self taught, I am afraid I can only call myself a nice and simple title, Sculptor.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Level 10 user

I don't know what MFAs call themselves, Merlion, but I doubt the term "Master Sculptor" is it.

I'm also self-taught, though I did have a sculpture course, while completing a B.A. in graphic design. Basically, it was just pushing clay around. No other medium was explored. I had been doing sculpture on my own several years before that, anyway, in plaster and wax. Recently, I've been carving foam.

Gary
Old 11-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR52
I don't know what MFAs call themselves, Merlion, but I doubt the term "Master Sculptor" is it.
I was only joking of course, Gary.

Anyway, here is one example referring to the term "Master Sculptor" as used a few hundreds years ago.

Tilman Riemenschneider, Master Sculptor of the Late Middle Ages
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/tilmanintro.htm

And here is an example of a museum using the term when referring to a well respected comtemporary sculptor to help promote his exhibition.

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/art/reviews/10257/
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
ISC Member

When I studied marble carving in Italy, my miestro /Sem, from Pietrasanta, Italy, told me in order to be considered a "master carver" one must study the art of marble carving for over ten years... that is one definition. judy robins
Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Level 10 user

several years after I graduated an article came out about my professor,it was titled master sculptor.Showing,and selling were not his main goal,teaching was,I figured "master" ment years worth of skill learning the properties of materials that sculptors use.Clay,wax,plaster,metal,stone,wood,plastics,cas ting,molding,forming,furince/kiln building ect.Caroline Montague,who I studied with,I would call her also a master sculptor.Her DR. looks good on paper,but it is the years of sculpting,selling,expermenting makes her a master sculptor in my book. IA
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Level 10 user

A Master of Fine Arts degree means you have completed an advanced program in a specific field of Art. Being labelled as a MASTER SCULPTOR is a title bestowed on any individual by their peers after exhibiting their skill for an extended period of time. There is no minimum or maximum time period established to achieve this recognition.

Very few MFAs are Master Sculptors when they graduate.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Level 10 user

Master sculptor implies a pecking order in an organization. Ie Apprentice, sculptor, master sculptor. I would think there were some places that still use that system, not many though.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Level 10 user

Greetings all,

A personal opinion / recipie for mastery:

1) Take initial talent, place in the forge of discipline and hard work for 10 years or so. What emerges is skill.

2) Take skill, place in the forge of discipline and hard work for 10 years or so. What emerges is mastery.

If an artist is willing to work hard, challenge thier limitations, and the limitations of their chosen media for 20 years or so, mastery is possible, but never guaranteed. So much can go wrong along the way. A common pitfall I have observed is a lack of humility / self honesty in assessing one's own work and progress. I have been carving stone for 15 years now and I would consider myself a pretty good stone carver, not a master, not a hack, but pretty good. There are compositions in my mind that I will not even attempt yet because I know I don't have the skill to pull them off, to do justice the visual idea in my mind. I have seen plenty of young artists claim mastery when all that is apparent to me is talent, raw and unrefined.

Graham
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Level 3 user

I belive a "master sculptor" is someone that crossed a boundary and developed a new direction in sculpting.

two master sculptures and sculptors

statue of david of Michelagelo
Bronze age of Rodin

I dont belive we can say who are the masters living today, we need more disstans.

Regards
Johannes
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Level 2 user

Wink Re: "Master Sculptor"

i dont know about marble or any others but i do know about limestone there's alot or titles in a stone carvers life
1st apprentice 3 years
2nd journeyman 2-5 years
3rd carver 8 years
4th master carver"sculptor" 2500 documented hours
altogether it would take about 20 years go from apprentice to master sculptor if you go with the guide lines

Last edited by ewbrown93 : 04-27-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
ISC Member

As far as "master sculptor" goes, I think if somebody calls themselves one....well, brother, they've got a long way to go. And considering that for so many MFA recipients, that their thesis show is the last show they will ever do.....well, that speaks for itself. The "master" of the man I apprenticed with, I guess you can call him my "grand master", gave two interesting related pieces of advice that were passed down to me..... to be successful as an artist, "you just have to outlast the bastards", or put another way, "the sugar is in the bottom of the cup". I interpret this as meaning that the journey is what is important, and also that the pursuit of a career as a fine artist or artisan is so difficult on so many levels, that most who start out will quit along the way, and eventually, if you stick it out, you will be among a select few who are still standing. That is the measure of success, and when you can truly be considered a "master". Not your level of technical expertise, which should go without saying at that point, but your mastery of a life well spent. Well, that's my two cents on the matter.