Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Level 5 user

"Sculpey" What do you Think About it??

Last week I met sculptor Phillip Ratner and he showed me around his Maryland studio. He has hundreds of pieces (generally focused on the Old Testament) which he makes mostly out of sculpey and then bakes in his oven.

He was a very big proponent of the stuff, pointing out how much money I could save on bronze casting while offering clients "one of a kind pieces."

I couldn't argue with him about the finances....

The pieces looked OK. But the patinas appeared to be rather flat and lifeless... I don't expect them to match bronze of course.

I was intrigued but still am not sold.

Any of you work much with sculpey? Any of you know how potential buyers take to it?

What do you think about sculpey??
Old 08-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Level 10 user

Re: "Sculpey" What do you Think About it??

Sculpey polymer clay is the first material I used when I first self-taught myself to try out sculpture modeling. As a beginner, I found it useful to help me create and experiment with many small sculptures of a variety of shapes and forms. I was limited by the size of the oven and couldn't make bigger pieces.

Later on, I went into other sculpting materials and techniques. By now I sometimes go back to using Sculpey to make small maquettes or test new ideas.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Level 1 user

Hi, Todd. I've been using polymer clays for a while now. I have only made smaller pieces (the largest was the size of a little flower-pot, bulked out with a lot of different things). Remember that some of the polymers take very small details well but won't keep it when heated, they will look like a bit of smelted sugar (even if you don't overheat it) and others can take and keep detail well even if you overheat it. Bigger pieces sometimes can get deep, but thin cracks if you don't work with it for a week or so.

One can also mix different polymer types and get, for example, a clay that is harder and keeps detail better - there are a lot of different brands out there and one can find better information than I gave here - as well as reviews - on the different types.

The surface gets easily scratched and can easily break. As sculptor Philip and Merlion said, it is cheap... IMHO it is a good practice-clay and to make figurines with etc. /Kaff
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Level 5 user

Thank you very much for your insights on sculpey. It definitely seems to be a practical alternative... I think I'll mess with it *after* I finish my next piece (fighting bull elephants) and see what I think.

Phillip Ratner is very well known and established. His clients will pretty much buy what he makes. So sculpey is his choice. Hell, he even makes pieces out of dental molding material!

But I'd still like to know what art *buyers* think of work made from polymers... especially when it's made by an unknown artist.

Eh, to date I've sold all of my bronzes. I guess if the work is good, folks will buy it.