Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Level 10 user

"Yaryzh" Bronze horse

I think we pretty much covered the issues on McCarthy's sculpture, the piece did what McCarthy set out to do- create controversy and discussion into the issues.

Here's another in the news, (translated text) I think it says a lot and can be interpreted in a number of ways;

A bronze sculpture of a stallion holding a piece of rail in its mouth was built last week in the yard of Yar Hotel situated at the entrance to the Russian town of Voronezh. The 3.5-meter-high statue weighs more than 3 tons. The stallion has a short-cut tail and the well-marked reproductive organ which greatly resembles the one of a man.

Maxim Dikunov named his stallion Yaryzh and said that it symbolizes the struggle between nature and civilization.
According to Maximís mother, the management of Yar Hotel arranged a contest to choose the sculpture which could perfectly express the atmosphere of the hotel. A lot of sketches were suggested to the hotel
administration. Finally they choose the stallion.
When the sculptorís father was asked about the stallionís human sex organ he said that ďit is just a matter of nature and people should not stick noses in it.Ē

Yana Chernyshova, the hotelís director, said that she liked this sculpture very much. She said that the artist exceeded her expectations. When she saw the sculpture she realized that it was exactly what she wanted.

Last edited by Landseer : 09-27-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Level 10 user

Re: "Yaryzh" Bronze horse

Well thats certainly some steed. Incredible Hulkish with that piece of track in its mouth. The overstylization and disregard for actual anatomy and proportions actually serves the sculpture magnificently.

So now we'll talk about those "cojones". Its the smallest thing on the sculpture yet the most tediously detailed (vascularity)...wrong move - disagrees with the rest of it, creates a distraction. Now if the title of the piece was "Thunder's Schlong" okay; but that is not the case. Now I'm no expert on equine genitalia but that thing looks too human. The whole treatment of that thing was a mistake if you ask me. Detracts from the visual experience.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Well thats certainly some steed. Incredible Hulkish with that piece of track in its mouth. The overstylization and disregard for actual anatomy and proportions actually serves the sculpture magnificently.
It is interesting, and as you observed, the proportions are not correct or the anatomy- far too many visible excessively bulging muscles, but he does look good.

Quote:
So now we'll talk about those "cojones". Its the smallest thing on the sculpture yet the most tediously detailed (vascularity)...wrong move - disagrees with the rest of it, creates a distraction. Now if the title of the piece was "Thunder's Schlong" okay; but that is not the case. Now I'm no expert on equine genitalia but that thing looks too human. The whole treatment of that thing was a mistake if you ask me. Detracts from the visual experience.
Very detailed, and curious since the work was for a hotel not just for the sculptor's exhibit, but then again it's in Russia so their culture is going to be different and maybe more focused on emphasizing "masculinity" similar to the treatment of that in Pompei with the phallic symbols and art all over the place.
While the horse's member does resemble a man's to some degree- the glans, horses do have a glans that expands considerably, so the way this is detailed on the bronze is not totally out of line.
The fact that the response when asked about that feature was one of dismissal of the question is interesting, and suggests the sculptor had some specific reason for doing it that way and wasn't going to say what it is. That should probably be obvious in any case.

Those 4 photos were the only ones I've found so far.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Level 10 user

I really like this horse--every thing about it. I don't know yet how to interpret the liberties taken but it makes me wonder about the state of Russian culture. Could a Russian artist "get away" with displaying a monumental male nude with the same detail? Not in this country obviously. What would happen if the human genitalia were replaced with an erect horse phallus? How would people react? Maybe having a human male organ on a horse is the only way to "get away" with public display of a man's sexy parts (Borat?)? The rail in its mouth says proletariat in such a typical Russian way. Too many unknowns. No matter, the horse is very appealing to me. Makes me smile in wonder. It definitely would be less interesting if it were altered sexually.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Level 10 user

I don't know Joe, it certainly is a curious work, and from what I read it's a new installation, so no doubt more will come out in the media and maybe flicker.com over time and we'll have more information.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Level 10 user

Not as stirring as the last, but nonetheless... I like to research and study almost as much as I like to create and the town seemed like a good place to start. I did a quick wiki for the "cliff notes" and I see where the railroad tie comes from. Voronezh is an important railway hub in that area historically.

There are also a ton of links for Prometheus and Voronezh and that's kind of interesting. Both Shelley and Byron cite the town in their poetry, but there is no apparent or obvious link to a horse and the penis in relationship to the town or it's history (the brief history I read anyway). Typical of that area and its artistic tradition, the sculpture itself is robust, thick, shoulders straight and head held high with pride.

Judging by the overall build of the animal its not much of a stretch to suppose the artist was unfamiliar with horse anatomy, but even so, it makes one wonder whether there is more to it. He's built almost like a rhino.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Level 10 user

I never heard of that town before, and by "rail" I was thinking of a piece of structural steel, but after reading your comments about the connection to the railway, I can see the "rail" is in fact a train rail even though the pictures are postage stamp sized and not very good.

He does look built like a Rhino, but the effect is good.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
.... Judging by the overall build of the animal its not much of a stretch to sup pose the artist was unfamiliar with horse anatomy, but even so, it makes one wonder whether there is more to it. He's built almost like a rhino.
I find it a little hard to believe you are ingorant of that portion of a horse's anatomy, much less the rest. Horse sculptures are everywhere, or at least images. Normally, the penis is more heavily ensheathed, and this is quite differrent. I'll have to admit I'm not sure about the testicles, but I think they're much farther to the rear, essentially under the tail. (No need for pictures, anyone; the subject stands on its own merit.)

This horse clearly is stylized in many ways, but his male organ is almost the opposite of stylized. The resemblance to a human organ is deliberate, but I have no idea why.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Level 10 user

Yes, the testes are more towards the rear and they are usually more elongated, as well as the penis usually heavily sheathed and protected. It is mainly the glans which differs in the bronze, in the horse this expands greatly to a somewhat trumpet bell shape.

The fact the artist wouldn't comment further about it makes me wonder, a lot. There's no doubt a story behind that, and it may never be revealed- only he knows the answer and so far isn't talking.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
I find it a little hard to believe you are ingorant of that portion of a horse's anatomy, much less the rest... The resemblance to a human organ is deliberate, but I have no idea why.
Well, I was trying to be gentle I guess and missed the mark (it happens). I agree that anyone who sculpted a horse would in the end know what a real one looked like (more or less) stylized or otherwise...

Looking at it again there are also elements of a doberman pincher (the tail) and a pig, the low body and stout legs... For all I know it's an anti-centaur, penis of a man, head of a horse, body of a rhinosopig.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

Thumbs up Re: "Yaryzh" Bronze horse

I like this horse sculpture tremendously. Probably because I like chunky horses. I couldn't care less that the anatomy isn't accurate to the inth degree. The "equipment" displayed doesn't faze me one iota. I think it looks good. What bothers me is why the sculptor gave this horse a head that appears--from the side at least--to resemble that of a Tapir. I'd like to see what he could do with a human figure.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I agree that anyone who sculpted a horse would in the end know
Am I the only one who picks up on these Freudian slips. Is it my "bad self" acting up? Is my humor perverse?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Level 10 user

It only runs the risk if you get "too close" to it.

If it weren't for Federal Confidentiality rules (42 CFR part 2, and Federal laws 42 U.S.C. 290dd-3 and 42 U.S.C. 290ee-3). we could have a few good laughs.

Speaking of Freudian Slips though, "Why Psychoanalysis" by Elisabeth Roudinesco would be a great read for you and I think you'd enjoy it enormously. You have an uncanny sense of balance, like a cat always landing on its feet.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Level 10 user

If you observe very old depictions of bulls and other animals of "power", always males- the penis sheath was usually highlighted in red and that was not a coincidence it was done on purpose.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Level 4 user

Maybe he didn't have a good picture of a male horses' parts and just used a mirror. You know they're right there handy for a quick glance while your sculpting.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Level 10 user

Lol, and he over "emphasized" them.

I don't buy the idea that he couldn't find photos, there are thousands of very detailed photos and clips on the web, "adult", veterinary medicine related, as well as molded casts, no, this sculptor had a reason and maybe it was to create a mystery so people who keep trying to guess and thus- keep talking about him, his work and keeping both in the news.

Makes sense to me.