Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Level 2 user

3 ages of Woman

I have finished my 10 week figurative sculpture, "3 Ages of Woman," directly carved on site from a 10 ton block of Limestone, all by hand.

http://www.mendocinoartcenter.org/level2/special1.lasso
Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Level 10 user

Re: 3 ages of Woman

Artisti: There is something wrong with the site you posted. Every time when I open it, I have to click to allow Active X to run, and on clicking OK, the window has to be closed because of error.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah, no shit! scrambled eggs for for me gat dammit...get real.(I dont need that " program not respondindg" crap.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Level 10 user

The site worked for me.

Incredible sculpture in stone. So moving. I love it. Granny is my favorite. Love her expression. I just have a special fondness for little ole' ladies. (On a side note about me- One of my best friends, Luisa, is 88 and before her "Dolly" was a very close friend and lived to 95. Both girls young at heart. Last week Luisa and I danced to a Mexican band and she wore me out that evening. )

Your middle age woman has such a pleasant expression and her face really draws me in to wonder what she's thinking. The baby has a lot to look forward in her life with those strong female role models.

Powerful, moving sculpture. Thanks so much for sharing.

~Tamara
Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySculpting
The site worked for me.
For some reason I still cannot go into the last page when the carving is all done, although I can go into the earlier pages. Either the three women do not like me, or vice versa. Never mind.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Sculptor

I think the site was working for me just now,but I didn't wait past about slide 5 - 6 in the automated slideshow. I didn't really care for the large "almost finished" main image, and I honestly don't care for this full-press form of publicity for a work I see as basically mediocre.

Overall the figures strike me as some that might have been made in the 1930's or maybe even 1920's. Nothing wrong with that for people who might like it, but I am unmoved by the work.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Level 10 user

From a female perspective, the sculpture moves me. It makes me think of my life cycle and how quickly life goes from beauty to aged glory. I think of mother hood and passing along the new little girl to start the cycle again. This is a work I'd enjoy very much having in my garden setting and I think it's beautiful. It may not have refined and detailed and perfected form but I do not know the difficulties of working in stone. The composition of the piece is very nice. The way the middle aged woman's hand is resting by the child is delicately done and very nice too.

~Tamara
Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Level 10 user

I thinks there's good and bad with this.. First, before the statue itself, that website is in bad shape and hurts things more than it helps. Music is nasty unless you choose to play it and even then, it's nasty like scrolling text and blinky lights. Cheap 1990's websites hurt the impression of the work, get rid of all the eye candy crap along with Mr. pointy finger. It doesn't have to be some 2 thousand dollar custom made flash site, just a nice, simple and clean one. The text also is pretty corny and full of empty myth, but I guess it's hard to let go of that sometimes.

For the statue, it looks fine to me for 10 weeks with a hammer and chisel and even some pnuematics, but a 10-ton block can take more than a year to finish. It looks unfinished to me despite that it's designed to be an outdoor piece; the drape is underdeveloped and the cloth is unfinished, the background rock is just in the way, the flowers seem out of place on the back/right side. The figures themselve's look pretty good, except maybe the young and middle aged one's are a bit on the blank side. They contrast with the eldest, who has some emotion apparent. The 1920's/30's I can see I guess from a stylistic persepecive. I'm not sure what could be done though, certainly a thong or belly button ring wouldn't add any more to it.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Level 4 user

I thought the description of the piece and the part about beauty outliving us all made me gag. It just seems so self-congratulatory and pretentious. I thought the piece was ok, it just seemed unfinished. It has a lot problems but also has potential. But I don't think it compares to the Frech Romantics who did this kind of thing, like Carpeaux or Claudel.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Level 10 user

I'm somewhere between Tamara and StevenW on my take on this work. It has some nice things going for it that are diminished by the problems pointed out by StevenW. What I would add on the negative side, is that the face of the baby does not look like the face of a baby, more like a twelve year old face stuck on a baby body. Baby faces are uniquely beautiful.

It is an impressive accomplishment for the time spent, but it is a work that needs more time spent to make it worthy of the concept. It is a beautiful composition. I think that the faces on the two women work well. The drapery, especially on the older lady, does not. I don't know if the drapery or any of this concept was worked out first in a clay model, but it would help to do so, and/or to do some drapery studies with a live model.

I don't have a problem with the broad areas of unfinished stone per se, but the chiseling into them leaves a pattern of marks that detracts from the effect of the figures emerging from organic stone, as does the treatment of the flowers.

Despite the text jargon problems, I like the idea of using the public act of sculpting to engage the locale in an educational experience of what carving and sculpting is about. You can see that it provided an insightful experience to many, who will leave with a much more lasting impression than just having the finished piece appearing would have provided.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT
I like the idea of using the public act of sculpting to engage the locale in an educational experience of what carving and sculpting is about. You can see that it provided an insightful experience to many, who will leave with a much more lasting impression than just having the finished piece appearing would have provided.
Hi Glenn, not just this, but apparently it's a bit of a fund raiser and self-promotion for the artist as well and I think Fritchie alluded to it being kind of a cheap publicity shot (forgive me if I'm completely off Fritchie but the member doesn't appear to be very active here). I like the idea of educating the public too and giving a little more than just a finished piece, but this goes pretty far out there (I borrow the term pretentious) and in several different directions all at once. There's some renovation project tied to it (Pay 100k and you can name your own building! woohoo!), the selling of limestone chips from the sculpture itself, the "gift shop" with quilted fish (barf) and a stone sculpting course where we can all learn how to be Michelangelo too for "X" amount of money.

I realize an artist has to make a living and some, perhaps many do that by selling marble/limestone chips for a dollar to each passerby or having a junk shop full of momentos, but I put it one notch above the Google ad's we see here. There's nothing wrong with doing workshops and fundraisers, but I think it could have all been better organized and portrayed with a lot less... erm...Snake oil.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Level 2 user

Thanks for the critics! First let me apologize for the web site. I really have nothing to do with it as it is the Art Center's and is maintained by all volenteers. I would like to clarify some things for those of you who are unfamiliar with these carving demonstrations. The nature of the on site carving is that a work will be done within the structure of the event, which has a beginning and a cut off date. All sales and proceeds from the project, go to the Art Center for it's fund raising efforts. Unfortunately the images up on the site, are from a week prior to completion. Many of the critics of the fabric and other areas were dealt with more than the present images show. But thanks again for pointing them out.

These projects are a means of reaching out to the public and exposing them to the hard work that goes into any creation. I could carry everything to yet another level of finish. But I just don't have any more time to devote to the Art Center's fund raiser. I too need to earn a living.

The work I do for my private clients are principally made of marble and are more finished. For someone who wondered, I do not work from models and yes it would be good to do more work from them, once the image is coming out of the block. It is very helpful.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Level 9 user

I like this one, the photo didn't look real good, but I liked it. Ya'll are so critical! Which is fine, we all have our likes, and dislikes, but Yes, some of us have to make a living, and why not be creative in selling? I didn't look all over the website 'cause I don't have that much time to devote to the computer. this forum pretty much uses half of my alotted time, and I'm addicted to ya'll's thoughts, even tho most of the time I think you're all nuts. I like this piece, maybe it's a woman thing. And yes Tamara, some of my favorite women have been elderly, thier love of art helped foster MY love of art, what a beautiful thing for women to pass on to each other. The thread about sculpting for yourself has been interesting, and on my mind, this one kinda ties in to it for me because of the self-promoting aspect. I'm a pretty much an unsophisticated, uneducated, thread- killer here but here goes, I'm headed over to post the opposite question in the poll section.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Artisti, I thought it looked pretty good for 10 weeks worth of effort, but it's not a lot of time to dedicate to that size block. Will you post any more pics? I'm curious to know more about your thoughts (not a 3rd person like the website) about how you felt at the end and what you got from it.

Steven
Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Level 2 user

I don't think the Art Center will be posting any other pics for now. They are moving on to other things. I am always happy to be over with the daily grind. I worked 75 days straight, carved 8-10 hours a day and feilded hundred of questions from thousands of visitors. So now it is really nice to get back to my private studio. I often feel that I could use more time but also know that many of the changes I might do are truely minor compared to the task of carving out the image. As I said there are no models or drawings so I have to carve mighty fast to get anything done with all the constant interruptions. The on site carvings are education, fine art and street theater all in one. You have to be good dealing with people, answering their questions and inspiring the young. For instance a 7 year old boy came and carved on my block for weeks. I just let him work on a corner low down where he could reach . He worked a long time and I wanted to use his work. We managed to work what he did into the concept and he will never forget this summer when some guy let him carve on a 10 ton block of stone. For me that was worth the whole thing.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Level 10 user

I don't often draw anything either other than for major landmarks and my friend Thom is the same way, he looks at the block for a little bit and just gets busy. He's been working on one about the same size as that now for 7 months or so and still has a ways to go yet, it's pretty incredible stuff. People who've never clobbered away at a 10 tonner or even a 100 lb block with your hands and a few chisels have a hard time grasping just how long it can really take. I hope you don't take offense at any of my comments, in retrospect they're rude, I do admire the work to be sure.

Steven
Old 10-05-2007, 11:42 PM
ISC Member

John,
No disrespect meant with this question, but it just popped into my head when reading the site: if you get 50% of the sale price and the museum gets the other 50%, isn't that the same as if you'd sold the piece through a gallery (for you, I mean). I liked the concept and just was curious on any additional background info to see how it's working for you.

Last edited by BobClyatt : 10-06-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Level 1 user

Just to say that this sculpture is so beautiful..the face expression of the grandmother is perfect..and also the movement of the piece..
You're great John!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Level 1 user

John,

I like the idea of what you've done here. Especially considering that figurative sculpture is an art in desparate need of resuscitation!

I like the concept of the sculpture and I'm with Tamara on the old lady -- nice face!

You folks who work in stone I have great respect for. It's one thing to push and carve clay, it's another thing entirely to chip away at stone (after-all it's not like you're chipping away at a solid piece of soap -- there's nuances within the stone that have to be overcome).

I applaud you for what you've done for your community and what you were able to accomplish in the time you did, along with all the interruptions. There are some folks that just don't get how hard it is to sculpt with someone looking over your shoulder and asking you questions every five minutes!

Congratulations!

A note to my esteemed collegues on this forum --

Perhaps it would be more respectful of our fellow artists, if we asked questions of those posting, before we make assumptions about their motives and the quality of their work. Communities like this forum are effective when they are supportive and respectful.

Would you want someone challenging your ethics, would you? Of course not.
I wouldn't -- that's why I personally won't do it to anyone on this or any other forum.

It's great to have a place like this, where aritsts can come together and show what they've done and receive constructive critique from fellow artists, who know what it takes to make art.

If we wanted harsh criticism and our ethics challenged, we could head on over to the NY City Art Critics forum - I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige!

Best regards,

Will