Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Level 1 user

Coatings for foam?

Hello there all.
I was stumbling through the internet and came upon the site here and am looking for an exterior grade coating to put on the foam after it is sculpted.
I presently have a project that will keep me busy for the next three years and would like to speed up my process. Presently I am sculpting the project and covering it with a two-part non-toxic epoxy called Magic Smooth, which doesn't eat the foam and hardens to a shell like fiberglass resin. However it is about the consistency of a stiff vaseline and on larger projects it is very energy and time consuming to do.
Therefore if anyone has a lead on a spray on product that will harden to a shell finish I would appreciate any information.

Eric
Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Coatings for foam?

I believe Polytek has something like that.
Take a look at the Polygel Shell: http://www.polytek.com/products/poly_plastics.html

Be careful - protect yourself when spraying anything, especially plastics...

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Skinner View Post
Hello there all.
I was stumbling through the internet and came upon the site here and am looking for an exterior grade coating to put on the foam after it is sculpted.
I presently have a project that will keep me busy for the next three years and would like to speed up my process. Presently I am sculpting the project and covering it with a two-part non-toxic epoxy called Magic Smooth, which doesn't eat the foam and hardens to a shell like fiberglass resin. However it is about the consistency of a stiff vaseline and on larger projects it is very energy and time consuming to do.
Therefore if anyone has a lead on a spray on product that will harden to a shell finish I would appreciate any information.

Eric
Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Level 2 user

You could also look at styrospray or styrocoat
Old 03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Level 1 user

Thanks for the suggestions. I am already looking into StyroSpray, and now into PolyGel Shell. The only other problem I have here is that I am in Canada, and, well they haven't made it easy to get anything across the border with brokerage fees, etc. . I have asked these companies for canadian distributors but there has been no rply on that one.
Anybody out there know of any up here?
Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Level 1 user

i don't know if this would apply or not. but i know that when making fiberglass molds out of foam they spray or paint the foam with a latex paint to seal it and then you can use what ever you want over the paint and it wont eat the foam. I dont know if that might help or not. might open up different options for availability of a spray shell product for you