Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Level 1 user

Do you guys have any Idea where this comes from?

Hello Friends,

I have this bronze figure which I inherited from my Grandfather, all I know is the obvious that is a statue of Hermes (Mercury) made from Bronze and from circa 1900....apart from that I don't know much about it, not the author and if it is a reproduction of something greater or just if it is amateurish......

Any of you guys have an idea or more info on piece like this?

I also want to put it in a base, since its missing it......I have seen some with a face of the wind impersonated blowing through his feet.....Is there a place that can do a such a base or would a simple marble base be sufficient for a piece of this (low or high ) quality?

Where can I get a marble base?

Thanks guys and sorry for so many questions for a first post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	8441  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010017.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	8442  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	8443  
Old 05-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Do you guys have any Idea where this comes from?

I have a similar piece about 1/3 the size of yours, also from my grandfather. He had a hobby involving making clocks from various myriad pieces of bronken clocks, sculpture, cases, etc., and this one is part of a clock/barometer, with the figure of Hermes/Mercury standing between the clock and the barometer.

The foot on mine terminates in a small metal base which is screwed or bolted into the metal bottom plate of the clock.

One difference with mine is that his left hand is holding a caduceus whose height rises from the same poisition as yours, terminating at the top of his head. It seems likely that your version may have held the caduceus as well and been subsequently broken off. You could have the rest of it resculpted, bronze cast, ( or carved directly in metal) and silver-soldered on. Mine also has small wings above the outer side of each ankle.

As for a base, if you decide to go with simple, one idea is to try a place that makes funerary monuments in stone. Perhaps they have some scrap pieces, or could fashion a base for you.

I could create the base if you went with the face of the wind idea...if you want something unique and organic but not figurative, there are a number of stone carvers on this site who could create an excellant base if they were interested. Another option which I could do besides a marble base would be a bronze base to which the figure would be fastened.

The sculpture is one of many varieties created in the 19th century based on the original from 1564 by Jean De Bologne. As to who sculpted yours, I don't know. Although it was probably signed on its base, have you exhaustively searched its surfaces for a signature? finding anything, even initials, would help. I have some good reference material from that period.

GlennT

http://www.glennterryart.com

Last edited by GlennT : 05-24-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Level 1 user

I am quite interested in a quote.

If you could please send me a PM or an email to gpohls at gmail dot com I would appreciate it.

I would like a quote for a simple yet nice bronze base, maybe I could afford one with the face blowing wind.

Thanks again for your elaborate reply
Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Sculptor

GlennT certainly has the inspiration for the piece correct. I'm intrigued that the legs and at least the left arm seem to have been cast separately from the main figure and probably slip-fitted in place without welding.

That's neither a plus nor a minus, in my view - simply a technique employed at the foundry. Mainly a pre-1900 technique, without the benefit of modern welding capabilities. It allowed the interior of the cast to be cleaned of plaster during the finish process.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Level 1 user

Any Idea a piece like this might be worth? It was passed to me by my grandfather and we set a price of $800 in the state quatification
Old 05-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Sculptor

Price is a difficult question. I'd say certainly more than $800; probably a couple thousand at least. The amount depends on the actual sculptor and a detailed study of condition (any hidden damage, corrosion on the inside, etc.)
Old 05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Level 1 user

No damage I can see, nor it seems that there is space for air to enter inside (that I am aware of).

Thanks for the opinion, It makes me happy to know its more than $800 since that was the value assigned in the state