Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Level 3 user

A few WIP's

Hello all,

I was taking some progress shots of these pieces and decided to share.
These are a few new sculptures I am working on and I plan to have them cast in Bronze. They are in various levels of progress. The first is going to be a fountain and will ultimately include three mermaids all touching at various points on their belly's. The second is an angel and the third is a companion piece to go with my sea Dragon.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Level 10 user

Re: A few WIP's

Karl, these are really beautiful. There's such a graceful sense of movement and rhythm in these pieces. I'm looking forward to seeing the composition for the mermaids.

Great Job!!

Alfred
Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks Alfred,

I am glad to hear that the effort I put into the flow of the pieces is showing through. That really has been my focus to this point. I am still not happy with the splash. Strange hoe difficult a splash can be to sculpt. I have worked out a few rough sketches of the rest of the composition and it will be interesting when I get it in clay. as is the piece is 42" tall.

The last piece will have sea weed added to it supporting her as if she is swimming through it. I am also going to add her the my sea dragon sculpture.

Thanks for taking a look,
-Karl-
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Level 7 user

Exellent work, Karl!- I'm especially impressed by the perfect illusion of a very thin/ wet cloth in this one:

Stunning!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

These are really great. Don't limit yourself to bronze. Many who can't afford that material would gladly purchase these compositions in another. They have mass appeal.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Chonov View Post
Exellent work, Karl!- I'm especially impressed by the perfect illusion of a very thin/ wet cloth in this one:

Stunning!

looks like cheesecloth with a very watered down clay run through it wrapped around the rest, it is a great shot there. I've been pondering a mermaid for some time or surfer or other oceanic something or other.. this is very inspirational.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks for taking a look everyone. I think I am almost happy with the splash.
What do you all think?

-Karl-

Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
looks like cheesecloth with a very watered down clay run through it wrapped around the rest, it is a great shot there..

Wouldn't this look better with just using real cloth -- like a doll ?

What qualities are being added by using clay (or bronze) ?

I'm trying to recall thin/wispy cloth being represented in sculpture --and can't think of any -- beyond dim recollections of some heavily stylized, small ceramic Chinese pieces.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Level 10 user

I don't know if it would look better. For me, I doubt it because it would be leaving sculpture and entering the realm of doll making. I don't know why that is btw, it just is for me. Since the transparency of the ass-crack is a particular point of interest (I am only a man) it does seem to defy bronze casting and I am not sure if that same look can be preserved or not, someone can perhaps clue me in. I know in stone I couldn't achieve it, but I could perhaps (in a larger scale) hollow out the butt crack and exaggerate a similar style drape with a solid band of "wispy cloth". I have seen examples of Italian made marble sculpture where lattices (almost like doily patterns) were used to great effect on urns and dragon wings and other such niceties, but those guys were all crazy.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Level 7 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountshang View Post
I'm trying to recall thin/wispy cloth being represented in sculpture --and can't think of any -- beyond dim recollections of some heavily stylized, small ceramic Chinese pieces.
I' ve seen it in Greek and Roman sculpture, and of course, Renaissance works, just can't name exact sculptures right now- it is an incredibly challenging task in terms of pure technique. My guess is ...if you are able to model something, you could probably carve it as well
Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Level 3 user

Mountshang,
This is a clay sculpture and is designed to be reproduced making a silicone mold. After the mold is made I could cast it in several different mediums but I am trying to make my mark in Bronze due to the archival quality of the medium. Also due to the ability to create different patinas it allows the artist to add layers to a piece and has an innate quality built in.

Stevenw,

The details will definitely be preserved in Bronze. Any details captured in the wax before the porcelain mold is created will make it to the final Bronze.

Look at the detail of the surface in this piece.

Another up side to Bronze is that once you have the mold it is possible to make multiple copies of the piece and even create different finishes.

-Karl-
Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Chonov View Post
I' ve seen it in Greek and Roman sculpture, and of course, Renaissance works, just can't name exact sculptures right now- it is an incredibly challenging task in terms of pure technique.

Have you seen long, slender strands of free drapery flying/falling through the air -- as on Karl's piece -- in a Renaissance sculpture ?

It can be a wonderful effect in a painting -- and maybe a relief -- and certainly on a live dancer -- but I'm not so sure about a free standing sculpture.

I know it's conventional to put a sculpture entirely into bronze -- but if it would look better wrapped with real cloth -- as in a doll -- or the contemporary Hindu sculpture shown below -- well --- why not ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	krish2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	10075  
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Level 7 user

I'm sorry about the mess, mountshang, my English is far from perfect...I didn't refer to the drappery flying in the air, beautiful as it is in Karl's work, it wasn't what captured my attention- the one I find absolutely incredible is the cloth around mermaid's ...well, lower back-and this is what I find so hard-to make something look transparent, when there's solid mass underneath - I know for sure I' ve seen something like that in the El Prado museum, carved in marble - just can't remember whose work it was

Karl, now you' ve just beaten your proper record, speking of incredible work- how did you MANAGE TO POST SUCH A BIG IMAGE? D: