Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Level 10 user

7 New Wonders of the World Chosen

Interesting. Kids will be learning this, instead of the old ancient seven.

Do you notice these new 7 world wonders can be regarded as very large sculptures.

7 New Wonders of the World Chosen

July 7, 2007, LISBON, Portugal (AP) - The Great Wall of China, Rome's Colosseum and India's Taj Mahal were among seven architectural marvels named the new wonders of the world Saturday.

The other four winners, chosen by a global poll, were Peru's Machu Picchu, Brazil's Statue of Christ Redeemer, Jordan's Petra and Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid.

About 100 million votes were cast by the Internet and cellphone text messages, the nonprofit organization that conducted the poll said.

The seven beat out 21 other nominated landmarks, including the Eiffel Tower, Easter Island, the Statue of Liberty, the Acropolis, Russia's Kremlin and Australia Sydney Opera House.

The campaign was launched in 1999 by the Swiss adventurer Bernard Weber. Almost 200 nominations came in, and the list was narrowed to the 21 most-voted by the start of 2006. Organizers admit there was no foolproof way to prevent people from voting more than once for their favorite.

Last edited by Merlion : 07-08-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Level 10 user

Re: 7 New Wonders of the World Chosen

This is a good site from Time showing, with captions, pictures of these 7 new world wonders.

Gallery: The New Seven Wonders of the World

Of these seven, I'm afraid I have only seen two in person. These two.

How many have you seen in person?

Last edited by Merlion : 07-08-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Level 10 user

Just some casual comments. Do you notice the popular icons like Eiffel Tower, Easter Island, the Statue of Liberty, the Acropolis, Russia's Kremlin and Australia Sydney Opera House were not selected? These are really western-centric icons.

This voting for the new wonders is probably the most extensive poll world-wide based on the Internet and the cell/mobile phone.

Last edited by Merlion : 07-08-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
Just some casual comments. Do you notice the popular icons like Eiffel Tower, Easter Island, the Statue of Liberty, the Acropolis, Russia's Kremlin and Australia Sydney Opera House were not selected? These are really western-centric icons.

This voting for the new wonders is probably the most extensive poll world-wide based on the Internet and the cell/mobile phone.
Merlion, do you know WHO voted (how many from each country/continent, or something like that? I hadn't even heard of the contest until you posted a notice, and by the time I read your post, voting had closed. Probably I wouldn't have voted anyway, but I do think the Acropolis, even partly destroyed, should have made the list. And not the South American (?) statue.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritchie
Probably I wouldn't have voted anyway, but I do think the Acropolis, even partly destroyed, should have made the list. And not the South American (?) statue.
I think Jesus has a better publicist ....He has quite a following, or so I hear.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Level 10 user

I'd have never thought (will never think)the easter island heads were(are) western-centric.

Amazing that the internet wasn't in the running
'tis a wonder indeed
Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Level 10 user

Sculptor: Fair enough point about Easter Island, or Rapa Nui. I should have said "These are mostly western-centric icons."

Last edited by Merlion : 07-09-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
I think Jesus has a better publicist ....He has quite a following, or so I hear.
Here's the title with the Brazilian statue, from the Time CNN newsite referenced by Merlion above.

"Christ Redeemer; Brazil
The 124-foot statue of Jesus stands atop the Corcovado Mountain overlooking Rio de Janeiro. Built in 1931, it took five years to construct and symbolizes the warmth and welcoming spirit of the Brazilian people."

Sort of like the U. S. Statue of Liberty, it seems, "symbolizes the ..."

With a world population of (4 - 5)? billion, compared to probably less than a billiion when the original 7 Wonders were described, this new list probably should have included 50 to 100 new Wonders. There are many more as worthy as the ones chosen.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Level 10 user

Evaldarts 7:

Empire State Building
Pulaski Skyway
The Cyclone at Coney Island in all its wooden creaking glory
The Triple Whopper with Cheese
F-550 flatbed
Hugo Neu Schnitzer metal processing plant, Jersey City
The yet to be built Gigantor Sculpture in Japan
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Level 10 user

There is no doubt that tourists will flock to these places because they were voted by a few other tourists who may or may not have seen them. There is no surprise that those wonders will continue to change in order to give equal opportunity to future wonders.
Of all the seven wonders chosen, I have only been to the Chichen Itza pyramid in Mexico's Yucatan peninsula. It was built on top of an earlier temple. I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to walk a claustrophobic stairway that leads to the Chac Mool sculpture at the apex of the inner temple. Tourists are no longer allowed access to this passage between the two pyramids.
There are several other pyramids that I visited in Mexico, my favorite is the one called Uxmal. http://www.geocities.com/intrepidber...r/Page17L.html
It is in a remote region and does not see many tourists.
My future plans include the Mayan pyramids in Belize, Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.