Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Beware of sculpture scams!

Here's another Ebay scam, guy just registered today and sent this to me thru the Ebay system;

Q: Hello, i am Mr JAMES my customer as told me to help him to purhcase your item.After looking at the adverts on (EBAY) i noticed you have it for sale .So i will like to purchase that immediately.Please get back to me i will like to pay you (US$150) and Send me your (Name and Contact adress with your phone # ) which you would want your payments sent to.My customer would prepare and send you a Money order for payments as soon as i hear from you.i would also want you to know that you would send any excess funds on the Money Order after deducting the total cost of your item, and any excess funds on the Money order would be my own (profit +shipping+costom clearance) Cos i will handle the shipment of the good by my self i will be sending (DHL) for the pick up. and after deducting ur money for item fees the excess funds would be sent to me via western union money transfer. I am waiting for your reply with necessary information so payments can be sent immediately. Regards
============
Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Level 10 user

I get spam email regularly from faked eBay & Paypal addresses saying there had been a name added to my account or some other BS and asking me to click the link they provide and verify all of my account information. No auction, payment or bank solicits account info via email. You can forward this bogus/fraud/phishing activity to eBay and the Federal Trade Commission with complete headers and they ocassionally track down the source.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused
I get spam email regularly from faked eBay & Paypal addresses saying there had been a name added to my account or some other BS and asking me to click the link they provide and verify all of my account information. No auction, payment or bank solicits account info via email. You can forward this bogus/fraud/phishing activity to eBay and the Federal Trade Commission with complete headers and they ocassionally track down the source.
Yeah, we all do, Another odd thing is I had only listed the item the day before- an old used furnace! So when the guy mentions "customs" I had to laugh, yeah this guy is going to pay for shipping a 110# furnace thru customs to some foreign country right
Old 06-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Level 10 user

Ok, here's another odd one, this email comes out of the blue, I replied essentially giving him the facts about the difficulties etc and then tonight I rec'd notice of one of my sculptures having sold, I recognized the handle and decided to cancel the sale and block him, just not getting good vibes on this fellows' true intentions, if he is hard up for money why is he spending $65 on art and then doing so a week after asking me about making molds of items HE has?

------------------------------
Really nice pieces you have here ! I have several Sconces,brackets,pediments etc. that are blg. remnants that I've wanted to make flexible molds from in order to Ebay them to help with lifes financial burdens. I'd love to speak with you if you can find a moment ? My name is -----and my cell is -----..anytime.
I'm a very honest person and would NEVER copy anothers work.I'm just not wired that way.
Thanks for considering......'

-------------------------------
Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Level 10 user

Latest couple of Ebay scams FYI:

The "Your credit card was declined for your Ebay invoice" scam email"

(Nice college try there but it was mailed to an account on AOL I never used for Ebay before.)

And now someone in Brazil ;

Dear Sir,
Do you have gargules? How much costs and how much is the gremlin?
Thanks

When I mentioned the postage alone might cost him $60 or more he said:

I have an adress in Chicago. You could sent to Chicago and I sent by ship to Brazil.
Thanks

So he will have me believe he will pay close to $20 to ship this to Chicago and then another $60 for shipping on top of that? I don't believe it!

They don't have sculptures in Brazil? I get negative vibes on this one, so I'm not responding.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Level 3 user

They don't have sculptures in Brazil?

Landseer, they do have sculptures in Brazil. They tend to wander and lounge along the beach shared by Copacabana and Leme. The patinas tend to run from bronze to classical black, with small..... very small, patches of bright color strategically thrown in for the sake of interest. You know, it is the imperfections that create interest.

It is said that these modern day "sculptures" might have gained inspiration from a XVII century image of Our Virgin of Copacabana, a carved image brought by the Portuguese from a small village around the distant lake Titicaca. The name Copacabana however, is of Bolivian origin.

What does this have to do with fraudulent emails etc???? Heck, I don't know. I just can't help but appreciate the uninhibited artistic expression of one of my favorite cultures. Next question????? Bom dia. A beleza toda l .
Old 06-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Level 8 user

Max Silver, I believe Landseer was being facetious. Just expressing the absurd plot the scam artist tryed to pull.

Not implying the nonexistence of Brazilian artwork.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow
Max Silver, I believe Landseer was being facetious. Just expressing the absurd plot the scam artist tryed to pull.

Not implying the nonexistence of Brazilian artwork.
Yes, exactly- I was being sarcastic- imagine the absurdity of importing a little sculpture all the way from the USA for 300% the cost of the sculpture, and I can't imagine that, so I thought- they don't have sculptures in Brazil and need to import them now?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Level 3 user

Oh dear. I must admit that I was also being a bit sarcastic-facetious- what ever you should choose to call it. When Brasil was mentioned, my favorite memories of acres, if not hectares, of bronzed mobile sculptures on the beaches with tiny patches of pastel with sand between their toes overcame my generally reserved and conservative nature. Being a newby, I haven't yet read the fine print regarding this site's rules of engagement. Are we allowed to muse and ooze dry humor between legitimate questions of technique and theory? I hope so.
I will say that you all have a fine body of knowledge and memory to share. I thank you for that.
A beleza toda l .
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Beware of scams!

Texas artists are still being targeted by "potential collectors" who "really like what you do and wish to buy some art you make"
via contacts found on personal webpages and gallery sites.

Scam-o-rama is another site full of examples (and more).
Old 08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Level 10 user

Here's another scammer, purchased my item and then asked if I accept cc or MO, and then while I was at work this came in - keep in mind I hadn't yet replied to his email but he worded as though I had. This is the second time I have received such scams and on items that are priced over at least $100, below that I guess they don't bother.

Red flags went up when I noticed right off that his Ebay feedback was ZERO, I checked that out and red flag #2 I found he just registered today!
Red flag #3 I did a google search on his name and POB# and city, nothing connected, I did another search on his email address, blank there too- no history whatsoever anywhere. Red flag #4 his email, poor grammar and then his reference to Western Union and sending excess funds back to him.
BZZZT goodbye LOSER:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply-To: h.cott@xxxx
Thank you so much for your quick response and understanding over m request,I will like to let you know that you do not need to worry about shipping of the item because i have on behalf of my client contacted a shipping company that will be coming for the pickup of the item .

This means the payment of the check that will be issue and send to you will include the (shipper's charges and my commission as an agent).

My client has said he will not be able to raise another check for my commission and the shippers charges, that is why he will be including both my commission as an agent and the shippers charges all you need to do as soon as you get the check is to cash the Money Order and decuct the price for the sales of your item and the left over will be wire transfer via Western Union Money transfer to the (shipping company ) for the home pick up from your house to my client Store if you are ok with this,kindly send me the below information of yours to mail out the check asap

NAME
ADDRESS
CITY
STATE
ZIP CODE
COUNTRY
TEL #

With the above information my client will be able to issue out the check and send it to your address once you provide your address.

SO I WILL BE AWAITING YOUR INFORMATION TO MAIL OUT THE CHECK ASAP

Regards.

Last edited by Landseer : 08-22-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Level 10 user

I think you should start a collection of those bogus checks Landseer, frame 'em and fill up a wall.

Max, I used to live on the beach and those bronze to classical black sculptural forms
were conceptual kinetic sculpture to me, always made my head spin.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Level 6 user

Beware, got emails from a guy this week claiming to be from the UK looking to buy some art. Although he has excellent aritistic taste (came from Blake's site to mine), it had all the elements of common scams: from overseas, foreign associates will contact me, he's in a hurry, using cashier/bank check, etc.

Only after i responded, I looked up his hits on my site -- from Nigeria.

It will be interesting if he writes back. I will let you know if I am wrong, but felt I should remind / warn.

-- RB

Correspondence excerpts below.

Hello,
I will like to purchase some of your art works for my home in Middlesex (United Kingdom),and i will like you to get back to me with listings and costs of your works available.I will be able to choose the ones i want or need.Kindly get back to me asap.

For their shipment,I will have my american based associate visit your studio to make pick up & he will bring them down to the united kingdom when coming. You send me your fullname,postal / mailing address & direct contact telephone number.I will have my associate make out payment to you via certified casheir's check drawn on a U.S bank on my behalf.He might as well be intrested in making purchases from you on his visit.I will advise you on that as soon as i have confirmations from him.Thanks Once Again.
Marvin Eric................

http://www.richardbecker.com
Old 11-19-2006, 06:48 PM
ISC Member

I received this exact message twice last week with two different signatures.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Level 10 user

Twenty years at this and I have never sold a piece nor gained a commission by phone or e-mail. I assume buyers require actually seeing the work or meeting the artist. And when representation was available THEY, showed the work and met the people. Obviously nothing is shipped or delivered until its payed for. I suppose our good sense can falter at the mention of a sizable payday. I'm sure to be extra wary of these distant art collectors. Thanks for the heads up.