Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Level 10 user

medusa in progress

Medusa, forged and fabbed scrap and junk. she's about 80% done and there will be other elemnts such as a much larger and higher sub-base and some accessories down there to fill-out. All said and done she'll be 13 feet to the tip of her snakes. a thousand pounds or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	12228  Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa3.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	12229  Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa4.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	12230  Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa7.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	12231  Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa6.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	12232  

Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Level 10 user

Re: medusa in progress

Very, damn, uber cool. I tip my welding helmet.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Level 10 user

I would just think her pubes would look all snakie too ? Not that I am an Gorgon expert...but I do get off on the irony of reversing the roles from the classic Perseus statues.

G
Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Level 10 user

another view....

Yes I like that Canova, G. They've got one at the Met in NYC that I visit regularly. But I was particularly interested in the dynamic possibilities of the snakes/hair as a formal challenger to the mass of the figure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	medusa5.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	12233  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Level 10 user

Wicked matt makes me wish i knew how to weld,and the size would give it an extra power. i have a speaial liking for this kind of figurtive work.that shows the heart of the work but with a sort of hidden,in that it doesnt have to have that skin to read it if u know wat i mean would be very impressive and imposing in person im sure
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Level 10 user

Canova? This one has Cellini's Perseus written all over it. Plus, narrative.
What's gotten into you? Is there hope for you yet?

It is a fun piece of work, with you in top form. Probably does a good job of scaring off the neighbors too!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Level 10 user

Yer right Glenn...I do like the Cellini Perseus better than the Canova but I've never seen one of those in person (there are a few right?).

Anyhow, the monster is more interesting to me than the hero but there are no good medusa sculptures out there. I figgered I'd source the genre and take on a variation of the topic. All just to get things started of course. Now, well into the thick of it, it is finding its way to where/what it will be.

SCARY...of course. Its Medusa. Menacing and terrifying and fatally UNsightly - its her penance for self-love, right.

I will include more pieces from the narrative...shield, helmet, head-chopping sword...dont know where yet. The compositional sensibility will let me know, I suppose.

I do realize, by this effort, that I'm further away from reconciling non-objective abstraction and figuration (as being one and the same) than I thought I was. More work...harder work...I'll get it sorted.

More snakes???? (I really want to put more snakes on her...someone say yes)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Level 10 user

Fantastic assemblage of the body and her stance! I especially applaud you for the way the breasts and the hands are built. The hands are my favourite, the right one seems to challenge the next contestant/victim: "Bring it on!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
It is a fun piece of work, with you in top form. Probably does a good job of scaring off the neighbors too!
Hmmm, somehow I don't think E was going for fun. But her face may be responsible for such assessment. There is something comical about it. I heard many times that showing teeth is not a good idea in sculpture, and I have to agree. I also hoped for more hair. What if some would partially cover her face? Actually, covering with hair her whole face would make her scarier I think.

Almost there E, but needs more imo. If I'm overly critical is due to 3 unsuccessful Medusa attempt of my own, and hope I don't make her mad and lose my head.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Rika...more snakes are coming. No one ever told me the rule about showing teeth in sculpture (I wouldn't have listened anyways).

I'll make sure Perseus' severed (ripped-off?) head is toothless though, a toothless hero, hah.

The problem with this method is that it is like drawing...and mass only gets done by the continuous adding of more "lines". Tedious work, bending every one of those "lines" out of rusty scrap and junk nuts and bolts and spikes and nails and pistons and re-bar and tie-rods and whatever other dinky things are buried in the mud of the boneyard.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Level 10 user

Rika, I did not mean fun in the sense of the imagery, but rather that the whole concept of diving into a large and intense piece like this is fun. I think E is like me and many others in finding fun in these types of large challenging works which make one stretch in new ways.

Yes, definitely, more snakes in the hair are called for! I think only 1/3 to 1/2 have showed up thus far, though they needn't all be as long as the present ones.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Level 10 user

Great work. But I wouldnt go for more hair/snakes, I think it may start hiding the fact that they are snakes and will start to look more like hair. But I could be wrong, its hard to say without seeing it with the additional hair/snakes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:41 AM
ISC Member

Quote:
Yer right Glenn...I do like the Cellini Perseus better than the Canova but I've never seen one of those in person (there are a few right?).

Anyhow, the monster is more interesting to me than the hero but there are no good medusa sculptures out there. I figgered I'd source the genre and take on a variation of the topic. All just to get things started of course. Now, well into the thick of it, it is finding its way to where/what it will be.

SCARY...of course. Its Medusa. Menacing and terrifying and fatally UNsightly - its her penance for self-love, right.

I will include more pieces from the narrative...shield, helmet, head-chopping sword...dont know where yet. The compositional sensibility will let me know, I suppose.

I do realize, by this effort, that I'm further away from reconciling non-objective abstraction and figuration (as being one and the same) than I thought I was. More work...harder work...I'll get it sorted.

More snakes???? (I really want to put more snakes on her...someone say yes)
Glenn is right about Cellini. Canova is too calm, almost antiseptic, in his sculpture. Canova fits in with a piano recital where everyone sips tea & talks about the latest gossip. Cellini brings the violence/grit/reality right up to you. You cannot miss his message.

Your Medusa has the powerful stance, backed up with the snakes and musclature of a frightening vision. I like that you have turned the familiar imagery on its head - groan, no pun intended. You ain't inviting Medusa to your little girls birthday party. Medusa is no party favor.

As to a larger & taller base. I vote for a taller base but not much larger. I like her perched at the "pinnacle" of her success. Also the smaller diameter base would be a throwback to classical sculptue; where heros barely seemed to be in contact with the "mortal" earth.

As to snakes, bring them on. Consider having a snake wiggling out of one of Perseus's orifices (eye, mouth) or out of his severed neck? Too much?

Great job.

Carl
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Sculptor

Another fine work, E. I don't usually go very far into commenting on your work, because it's generally very personal to you, and the hero - villain theme can be treated in many ways. I think you are correct to focus on formal matters. I took a closer look to see if the snakes had heads and teeth, but I think it's probably better to leave them as they are.

Overall, her form (figure) could go many ways in detail, such as covered with more snakes, or be heavier, or what ...., but as you say, it's a start and many more may follow. Excellent as usual.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Level 10 user

Fritchie. I do feel that there will have to be some treatment at the finial of each slithiering snake/line. If not to support a representation but for "stopping" tor containing the linear momentum. It is not an explosion I am after compositionally. S a simple "open jaw" treatment will likely get done at the end of each snake (sigh, more tedium).

I will be needing yet another substantial base because the current footprint (of the 20" cast iron wheel hub) is far too small for something of this weight (I've almost pulled it over onto myself several times already...Medusa, after all, does wish to kill me) I'll have to go perhaps to 40 inches for sound structure. Which will provide a place for the other narrative items...so the bottom will broaden and get busier. Its my job to be sure that nothing gets lost or suffers compositionally. We'll see.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Level 10 user

Ev,

The piece has passion and energy. To extend the irony further I would probably carve (or cast) the head in stone.

I like the base as it is...I might add a plinth 2' x 2' x 2' black ....for final presentation.

Let us know what happens to this one.

G
Old 04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Level 10 user

love it Matt,
and it's nice to see the figure rear it's (ugly) head in your work occasionally.
(leaves the figure vs abstraction argumentors scratching their heads)
look forward to watching where you take it.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Level 10 user

More snakes???? (I really want to put more snakes on her...someone say yes)[/quote]

E, I do, but gotta find that "tricky" quantity avoiding the mad hairy woman look. Here having the reptile tails tapered to a point contrasting with what clearly looks like snake heads, would have helped you even more to dodge the hair issue. More on this, I see the face snake free, dont mind having some interfere there for naturality and less show look. Maybe even like someone said, having one tail showing out through mouth and sticking out an eye. Oh well, tetric looking different Medusa... Everything is fine, maybe I`m been overcritical, but the standing show look, as opossed to say Medusa and her foe`s head are there, without Eval envolved in defining the posture she ought have, but her own decided pose. Meaning by this the bit rigid here-I-am-so-take-a-picture-of-me posture. Not the time to change this now Great, I like it. Big rocky base...?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Level 10 user

Nice work.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Level 8 user

My only tiny crit is I would love to have seen more back arch and chest thrust, but as a whole it really works.

I'd love to see more representational pieces like this, but you will go where the fire walks with you.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Level 10 user

yup, i feel like that a lot.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Level 3 user

its not my medium at all, but I think its quite exceptional.
bravo !
Kathleen
Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Level 10 user

Nice! It looks cool Evaldart. Here's a link to a friend of mine who did and awesome Medusa (very original take): http://bigbluetree.com/medusa.cfm

It's one of my favorite medusa sculpts ever. Although there are some people trying some new stuff with the character. Here's another guy I know who did one (not as strong as Simon's but still kind of cool looking).
http://firecrows.blogspot.com/ Scroll down just a bit to see the Medusa.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Nice! It looks cool Evaldart. Here's a link to a friend of mine who did and awesome Medusa (very original take): http://bigbluetree.com/medusa.cfm

It's one of my favorite medusa sculpts ever. Although there are some people trying some new stuff with the character. Here's another guy I know who did one (not as strong as Simon's but still kind of cool looking).
http://firecrows.blogspot.com/ Scroll down just a bit to see the Medusa.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Alien vs predator, doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigktx View Post
Alien vs predator, doesn't do it for me.
Clash of the Titans then?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Level 10 user

She missed her debut by blown brake-lines in Snowflake. So the work continues as I have more time to stare at her. almost done. There will be more base activity (compositional clutter) and yet more steel striations in the anatomy. Oh, and improved hair mass on the bodiless hero.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	medusa 20.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	12436  Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa 21.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	12437  Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa 22.JPG
Views:	361