Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Level 4 user

Los Angeles stone sculptors

hiya all. i live in long beach california. i am looking for other stone cutters in the area. i have had a difficult time locating other sculptors working in stone. i feel like i am working in a vacuum here and i know they have got to be out there. my thoughts are to find or create a group that shares ideas and info, maybe helps each other out and offer a bit of comraderie. look forward to hearing from whoever might be out there.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Level 6 user

Re: Los Angeles stone sculptors

Have you tried networking through Art City up in Ventura?
they sell a lot of carving stone, have some on site carving facilities, and can probably put you in contact with some other carvers in the area. artcitystudios.com or (800) 653-6380.
John VanCamp / JVC Stoneworks
Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Level 1 user

Hey, Sysiphus!

I just moved to LB, I'm a stone sculptor, and at the moment I'm looking desperately for a place to work (a studio, anyplace with electricity -- indoors or outdoors, funky or not). I could pay $300-$400 per month, plus trade gorgeous alabaster from my site.

Have you found a place to sculpt? It seems to be impossible to get anything around here for less than $600!

I'd appreciate any leads you could give me.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 02-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus
hiya all. i live in long beach california. i am looking for other stone cutters in the area. i have had a difficult time locating other sculptors working in stone. i feel like i am working in a vacuum here and i know they have got to be out there. my thoughts are to find or create a group that shares ideas and info, maybe helps each other out and offer a bit of comraderie. look forward to hearing from whoever might be out there.
I'm in Brookln,New York and would be interested in sharing likewise with any stone workers in New York. I also feel that sometimes i'm working in a vacuum
here.
tom blatt
Old 03-20-2005, 02:30 AM
Level 4 user

theres Dod Roth in the san fernando valley, the artcity guys in ventura and the wood and stone sculptors who are located in the Malibu canyon road.
check out the camp brotherhood symposium in washinton OR every springtime, and theres Amana Johnson in the Bay area and for the new york guy ,you can look for Micheal Scott Johnson from da brick city (BROOKLYN), scot was my student back in zimbabwe and he is doing bad ass work no in his appartment basement check out his work at http://www.creativeartisans.net if the link wont go search for creativeartisan.eamil me i can give you scots phone number in da brick city (BROOKLYN).tell him Ian knife sent you.

Last edited by shona : 03-20-2005 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Level 1 user

Do you know where I can find a gallery to show my art? I am a sculpture from Zimbabwe and I am carrying at 43 stone pieces of our work. My visa is a bout to run out and I have not sold a piece. I can not send them back home. May you please help me with some ideas. Thank you
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwek
Do you know where I can find a gallery to show my art? I am a sculpture from Zimbabwe and I am carrying at 43 stone pieces of our work. My visa is a bout to run out and I have not sold a piece. I can not send them back home. May you please help me with some ideas. Thank you

I'd locate all of the galleries you can or even talk to people who run the farmers markets in your area. It costs money usually to show you work in either place. I don't know where you live so I can't tell you which galleries to go to but talk to your local governement center or chamber of commerce, they may have an idea on how to show your work at a farmers market and sell it there.

To the thread maker. I'm a student at CSU Channel islands right now and recently got into stone last semester. I carved and male a female torso back to back in Italian white marble which is about 3 feet tall (which was also an old pedistal at the old Getty). I have yet to polish it. I talked to one of the Guys at Art City in Ventura and he gave me and idea of how to finish it (my school is new and it doesn't have the tools available yet so I have to buy my own ). Those guys are very nice and are very helpful. I don't know how much you have to pay to rent a space, but I do know that they are very flexible and would be willing to work something out.

But that is kind of far from where you live I guess.

But yeah, I'm new to sculpting stone and am willing to learn if you want to inform me of anything at all when it comes to carving stone.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwek

I'd locate all of the galleries you can or even talk to people who run the farmers markets in your area. It costs money usually to show you work in either place. I don't know where you live so I can't tell you which galleries to go to but talk to your local governement center or chamber of commerce, they may have an idea on how to show your work at a farmers market and sell it there.

To the thread maker. I'm a student at CSU Channel islands right now and recently got into stone last semester. I carved and male a female torso back to back in Italian white marble which is about 3 feet tall (which was also an old pedistal at the old Getty). I have yet to polish it. I talked to one of the Guys at Art City in Ventura and he gave me and idea of how to finish it (my school is new and it doesn't have the tools available yet so I have to buy my own D. Those guys are very nice and are very helpful. I don't know how much you have to pay to rent a space, but I do know that they are very flexible and would be willing to work something out.

But that is kind of far from where you live I guess.

But yeah, I'm new to sculpting stone and am willing to learn if you want to inform me of anything at all when it comes to carving stone.