Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Level 10 user

Acrylic Modeling Paste

I've been thinking about using Winterstone over a foam armature, but now I'm thinking it might be cheaper and easier to substitute Liquitex Acrylic Modeling Paste. A gallon of the stuff is cheaper than a 33 lb bag of Winterstone and it's ready to use, right out of the jar.

I've used modeling paste for coating a small sculpture before and it worked very well for that purpose. It dries quickly and dries to stone hardness. It's marble dust suspended in acrylic emulsion, so once the water has evaporated, you've got a tough marble-impregnated plastic film which can be brushed on in layers 1/4" in thickness and sanded or carved.

I don't know if it's weatherproof like Winterstone, though. I used it on an indoor piece, so I don't know how it would stand up to the elements. Even if it can't, I can paint or seal it with something else, such as acrylic varnish. I suppose I could also mix powdered bronze into the modeling paste to create a bonded bronze surface, also.

Anyone else tried it? If so, did you use it for an outdoor piece and how well did it hold up?

http://www.liquitex.com/Products/gel...elingpaste.cfm

Gary
Old 08-07-2005, 09:28 AM
ISC Member

Re: Acrylic Modeling Paste

Hi, Acrylic is plastic so it should hold up very well outdoors. I've painted a few outdoor sculptures with acrylic paint and they've held up very well and have not faded.
Have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Level 10 user

I think it will cost too much. Why not just use bondo over wire armature?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Level 10 user

Wire armatures don't give me any opportunity to carve, Blue. While I could swing either way (additive/subtractive, modeling/carving), the economy, speed and ease of carving foam is what attracts me to this combination of materials, in the first place. Modeling in bondo over a wire armature is a close second, though. If I'm doing anything over 24", though, the armature gets a bit more complex and weighty, but, with foam, that's not so much the case. Besides, it's easier to apply some type of shell material to a foam armature than it is to flesh out the same form in bondo over wire, as well as a lot more fun.

As for the cost of materials, while Bondo Putty Cote is $26.99/half-gallon, Liquitex Acrylic Modeling Paste is $34.48 a gallon from Dick Blick. That's almost $20 a gallon cheaper than Bondo, so I don't see any cost savings in using bondo.

Thanks, Jeff. That's what my thoughts are, as well. Given that an acrylic emulsion flexes with temperature and humidity changes and that the marble will add strength and the whole skin is a waterproof membrane, it should work fine outdoors. Add acrylic paint and a few coats of acrylic varnish and it should be even tougher. Then there is the possibility of mixing bronze powder with the paste, also. Seems like a very flexible and relatively inexpensive medium to me.

Gary
Old 08-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Level 10 user

Question Re: Acrylic Modeling Paste

Thanks for the heads up on the modeling paste Gary. Let us know if it works as i would be interested in trying it. How will the paste do without any reinforcement on the foam? Won't it just crack when you push on it? Or are you planing some undercoating?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Level 10 user

Good question, Blue. I honestly don't know, though I'd think not. It's a more elastic material than it is cementicious. The small sculpture I used it on before was a construction of wooden dowels covered with the paste, so, having a hard material beneath it, I never noticed any caving in of the surface. Over foam, it could be a different story, unless I use a higher density foam, that is. I'm going to try Don Frost's method of using pourable polyurethane in a trash bag to generate a foam blob to carve. I can get pour foam kits up to 8 lb density from Fiberglass Supply (http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Prod...pour_foam.html), but it's pretty expensive at that density. 2 lb density is more affordable.

P.S.: Now that I think about it, I did try picking at the raised areas of the modeling paste covering that wooden dowel piece, some fifteen years after it was made, and I found the modeling paste was pretty rigid, though a tiny bit flexible. Not at all brittle, though.

Gary

Last edited by GaryR52 : 08-07-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Level 1 user

Gary - I've used acrylic modelling paste quite a bit, so I read up on it - my reading leads me to believe that it is almost indestructible, once cured..............and the book I was reading referred to a piece which had been out in all weather with no perceptable change in many years - so I reckon its the go. None of the things I used it for were for outside, but it sets like rock......I don't think you can go wrong.
Cheers, Sooz
Old 08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks, Sooz! I think this is the stuff, then.

Gary
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Level 10 user

The other day, I sent an online inquiry to Liquitex, asking them about the feasibility of using their modeling paste as a shell material, with a layer of acrylic paint and a layer of varnish over it. Well, I got a call from them yesterday and they basically confirmed that I'm on the right track with this, with the varnish being the key ingredient for weatherproofing. Where that's concerned, it is their Soluvar varnish that is weatherproof. The regular acrylic varnish is for indoor use only. The guy also said that they have an expert who can talk to me further about this, but he's in France right now, so I may hear more from them later.

Gary

Last edited by GaryR52 : 09-03-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Level 10 user

A little update, here. I just got back from buying tools and supplies, so I now have what I need to start on a couple of small pieces in Styrofoam and modeling paste. I'll probably start carving tomorrow, since I bought four sheets that will have to be laminated together with Elmer's Glue and allowed to set for about 24 hours first.

I also bought Liquitex Soluvar varnish and Krylon interior/exterior spray paints, plus a surform for carving.

Meanwhile, I got some clay tools and I'm waiting on ten pounds of Roma Plastilina that I ordered from Dick Blick. So, I should be posting some photos soon.

Gary