Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Level 5 user

What Kind of Glue for Stone?

What kind of glue do you use to attach small fiddley bits to a sculpture?

I am doing a "Tree" and it is not practible to sculpt an apple attached to the tree from the start. Even if I had the patience to do it it would probably snap off during sanding anyway. LOL! So I am sculpting it separately. And then will attach it to a branch after I am finished.

I did glue 2 pieces of scrap together using "Emler's White Glue" as a test and it seems to be stuck pretty good. Is there anything better than Elmer's?
I wouldn't want the apple to come off in some perspective buyer's hand.

Thanks,

James
Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Level 6 user

Re: What Kind of Glue for Stone?

Hi again James'

There are all sorts of "glue" made for stone. Polyesters, epoxies, acrilics in flowing, penetrating, and knife grades. They come in several standard colors and transparent, and some as a "crystal clear" There are also colors available so one can custom mix color as needed. Generally speaking the polyesters are hot--short working time--and not recommended for exterior use. The epoxies have a longer pot life, and slower set time, and do work for exterior as well as interior.

Google up web addresses for granite and marble fabrication supply outfits like GranQuartz, GraniteCity Tool, Bicknel. They all have pretty much the same stuff.
( The guys at GCT seem to be the easiest to talk with if you don't know exactly what you need). Also check out the web site www.stoneadvice.com. Bunch of guys (and gals) there who know a lot about gluing stone.
JVC
Old 08-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Level 5 user

Thanks!

James
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Level 10 user

You might want to look into Gorilla Glue, James. It'll bond anything to anything: http://www.gorillaglue.com/

Gary
Old 08-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Level 6 user

I've been playing around with the gorilla glue and stone with mixed results. Works well if you can clamp the two pieces together. However if you can't get a clamp on it or other wise apply some pressure, it doesn't bond so good.

The glue expands into a foam like material as it cures and will push the two pieces apart.
JVC
Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Level 5 user

Thanks!

The sculptures I am doing are for inside so I think I will stick (no pun intended) with the Elmer's. Tried last night to break the two pieces where I gluded it and it broke beside the glue seam not at it.

James
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Level 10 user

Liguid Nails,have slabs of marble that have been outside gluded to metal scence late 80,s pliable works better in the long term outdoor enviroment.Fritchie is a chemist,maybe he can cook us all up a bunch of glue,or define there properties...........................just kiddin. Eric