Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Level 3 user

More sphynx pics

Last edited by Tristan : 09-07-2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fixing pic links
Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Level 3 user

Re: More sphynx pics

For some reason, I am unable to upload the other pics, so those interested in multiple shots can go to the following URL and look through the others:

http://www.tristanschane.com/gallery...ay_1.sized.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sphynx website (clay 2).jpg
Views:	575
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2092  
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Level 10 user

The link doesn't seem to be active now.

Gary
Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Level 3 user

Sorry Gary. this one should work.

http://www.tristanschane.com/gallery/album01
Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Level 6 user

Tristan,
All right, all right, I am impressed, it really gets you thinking. Loved your website, very creative.

warren
Old 09-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Level 10 user

Cool Re: More sphynx pics

I love your work!! Hvae you ever morphed a frog? I'm inspired to do a Xmas portriture of my ex wife!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks very much gang, really appreciated. Fixed the above posting -- pics should look OK.

BlueDog, I am actually hoping to do some kind of frog piece soon. maybe not "morphed", but something.

T
Old 09-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Level 8 user

very nice. cheeky humorous and creepy all at the same time awesome handling of the material. I think it is wonderful. Is this terra cotta?Have you posted on www.themonsterlab.com before because i'm thinking i've seen some of your work there. If you don't mind would you be able to tell us more about yourself? I would definetly not want to have that cat as a pet
Old 09-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Level 3 user

Hi Jamo, and thanks very much.

Yep, I'm a regular at the Monster Lab. Great place. Talented artists.

This sculpt is actually in Chavant I-305. It's an extremely hard oil based clay, unfortunately discontinued by Chavant, but I bought a huge amount about 4 years ago and am still working off that batch. It does have that same rust like red color of teracotta, but otherwise, very different. Also contains sulfur, so certain silicone rubber can only be used with cautious prep work.

T
Old 09-10-2005, 09:26 AM
ISC Member

Creepy, and very lifelike. I wouldn't want to encounter that at 2am!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:46 PM
ISC Professional Member

Great work Tristan
I can't help but laugh each time I see this poor thing, I like the teeth but didn't expect to see them so perfectly straight.
Did you find one of these hairless cats to assist you or was it all from memory/imagination? It appears to have a separation line on the left foot is this where you will remove the foot for the mould?

Can't wait for the frog.
Blake
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Level 3 user

Hi Blake.

I started with pics of hairless cats from books for a while and then everything I could find on the web. Ultimately I wasn't getting the level of realism I was after, particularly in the delicate and complicated anatomy of the paws. So, I found someone through Craig's List who owned a hairless sphynx and was willing to let me spend a couple of hours with her while also taking more reference pics. A great little animal, very friendly, but completely unable to stop moving for one second! Still, a big help.

All of the paws come off. There are skin folds on the flanks that hide the separation of the hind legs. Both front paws remove visibly and the seam will have to be carefully reworked in the casting. The separation was done very early in the sculpting process -- the armature was designed to allow it. The primary benefit for having these removable was it allowed me to sculpt the under and inner sides of the paws/legs, plus gain acces to those parts of the cat's body which would otherwise be very hard to reach. As it is, the underside of the cat's rump will only be finally sculpted and textured when I have molded the rest of the body and can safely upend the whole piece.

I will be casting the legs all separately as this will give me much more control over where the seam lines on the main body section will be, allowing me to choose easier to reach (and thus chase) areas with minimal detail and wrinkles which makeseaming harder.

The teeth are modeled after mine as I posed for the face. I'm not sure that they're all that straight, but they are more or less realistic, complete with premolars and canines. These don't show too well in these pics.

Thanks for looking.

T
Old 09-11-2005, 05:20 AM
ISC Professional Member

Tristan
The detail is very well done it obviously inspires you.

You mentioned a technique that I find essential to realistic work, and that is to make certain parts of the sculpture removable so that you can access the area instead of trying to work on them upside down. I find that the only way to do the portrait or the hands well is to take them off the sculpture and work them separately and of course the armature must be designed initially to allow you to do this. I reiterate this here for others who might benefit from this technique.
Your comments on seaming are also important and the seam is not easy to hide.

Concerning your subject matter; I love your sense of humour.
Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to the frog!
Blake
Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Level 1 user

That is funny man!
I am always trying to convince my girlfriend to let me shave her cats. I am allergic but she considers it animal cruelty. Perhaps your work will help me convince her to do so
anyway!
nice work man. Did you use any lifecasting on this? or just pics?

P.S. I'm not really thinking about shaving the cats in case anyone was wondering, but its nice to dream.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Level 3 user

Hey man.

No life casting, just freehand work -- the pics are all of the piece in the clay. I am only now in the process of casting this piece from molds I made several weeks ago.

Ultimately I will make a new mold of this piece to cast in platinum silicone. The mold I made is in tin silicone which negates the possibility of making a plat casting.

Thanks for looking.

T
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Level 1 user

thanks for the advise blake