Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Level 4 user

3D Digital Sculpture Reproduction

Hello! Ok, commercial message coming, but also very informative technically. I hope you agree - see our site below to learn much more.

We provide a wide variety of 3D sculpture enlargement and reproduction services using several 3D laser scanners and digitizers. We've performed hundreds of projects including:
- museum objects (Matisse's, Degas,... at Met, MOMA, BMA, Hirshhorn,...)
- historical artifacts (bones, cunneiforms,...U Penn,...)
- cultural icons (Liberty Bell, Tomb of the Unknown, Lincoln Memorial,...)
- foundries (Tallix, Polich, Laran, A.R.T.,...)
- sculptors (Lazzarini, Johnson, Koons,...)
- galleries (Sonnebend,...)
- even collectors.

You can bring or send us the object, or we can come to your facility. We will scan and digitially model with high precision and resolution suitable for enlargement milling, rapid prototyping, visualizations, animations, renderings, etc. We also have a great 3D web-based viewing tool that you can load on your site.

We are very happy to help and explain more about these processes and anyone from the area is welcome to call to come by to see these technologies. We're somewhat conveniently located in Baltimore, MD, USA. Cheap flights via Southwest!

Sculpture Site Section of main company site: Direct Dimensions, Inc.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:06 PM

Re: 3D Digital Sculpture Reproduction

Although yours is indeed a commercial message, it may be of interest to people here. We have had a number of discussions relating to your field. Your website shows a good deal about architectural and other technical sorts of work, but not so much about sculpture even though you have listed the names of some well-known artists. There is a wonderful picture of a man standing in front of a white bone-like sculpture that is shown in a series of ever larger versions. Whose work is that? What is the material of the finished product? It is intriguing.
JAZ
Old 12-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Level 4 user

Hi JAZ,

Thanks for the reply and comments. We've actually enlarged or digitally captured a great deal of sculpture and have much on our site on this. However many of the names I dropped will not allow photos or more information about the projects and we respect these requests.

Here's a direct list of some sculpture specific projects:
Barye comparison study
Houdon-style busts
Madonna enlargement
Stone artworks

The bone-like project was a great and typical project for us. The artist is John Dreyfuss of D.C., with whom we've had a long and excellent relationship. That piece began as a 12-ft fiberglass original, we captured in 3D, modeled digitally, and reduced to a 4-ft dense foam pattern for subsequent bronze casting, then 2-ft finished aluminum millings for a public show, and now as we speak a very large architectural size in bronze for a public building. John is very involved in all aspects of the projects including monitoring and evaluating all digital modeling. Recently we featured this project in an ad in Sculptural Pursuit magazine. (link to ad in pdf format)

Literally just yesterday we had guys digitally capturing in 3D a Matisse piece in Buffalo at the Albright-Knox Museum. This work is for a three-dimensional comparative study of several versions of the same piece. See similar Barye project listed above.

Thanks for your interest in this technology and I hope others become interested. We've won over some real stalwarts of manual enlargement processes. Some would be glad to discuss the processes including John Dreyfuss.

Michael
Direct Dimensions, Inc.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Sculptor

Dirdim - Welcome to this site, and I agree with JAZ that there are helpful aspects to your post which bring it out of the category of "just an ad". I had checked your Barye reference before I saw the second post, because I do figuration and alway have admired his work.

I didn't take the time to understand everything, but you clearly are a potent force in sculpture. Congratulations!